want to mod mini mag aaa

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
i need a simple way of getting more light out of a mini mag aaa.

my first choice would be to put a 1w led on it. my problem is that i have no knowledge on how to do that, given the lack of a drop in module.

so my backup plan is to put a xenon bi pin bulb.
or is there a way of overdriving a bulb without blowing it right away?

where could i get a xenon bulb that would fit the mini mag?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I failed to read the AAA part. I don't believe that drop in will fit, but if you don't need a huge amount of light the older magmaled (sp?) bi pin fits AAA Mags. Also, lambda is currently working on a bi pin drop in for mags, that due in late February or early March. Not sure if it's will fit AAAs though. Do you need more light than 5mm LEDs provide?

-Mike

paulr

Flashaholic
Radio Shack has a bi-pin 430 mA bulb that might be a bit brighter than the minim*g stock bulb. You can also use a Brinkmann Nexstar 2aa/2aaa bulb and that's also brighter than the stock bulb. Finally you could just throw away that gaglite and get a better light. If you want 2aaa, try a PT Blast or UKE 2aaa mini-light (xenon bulbs).

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at Dat2Zip's Sandwich Shoppe. Under "MJ Products" there is a microconverter that measures in at 9.5mm diameter. That is just smaller than an AAA cell diameter. Admittedly it would be dimmer than the full powered modules since it runs at a mere 155mA. And it would require a bit of soldering and cutting skill to put on the emitter (Use a side-emitting LS so that you can utilise the existing Mag reflector). And I'm not even sure if it can run off 2AAA cells without damage.

But it would be worth checking out. You may even be able to get Wayne to bump up the power a little.

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
5mm led output would be ok. not sure how hard it would be to put a 5mm led there.

if putting a led ends up being to complex for me then i could just put the uke xenon bulb or visit radio shack and get one of their bulbs.

thanks for the ideas

Jarhead

Banned
You can put a Luxeon in a Single AAA Mag Solitare without too much work. A little drilling, wire up a custom boost supply, and bingo!

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Once upon a time....the kind folks at Inretech custom made me a cut down version of their LS drop-in module for a 2xAAA MiniMag. It worked but was not all that bright. It might work better if you could match the BIN of the LS to power available from 2xAAA batteries. By the time you cut away the reflector to fit over the LS, you pretty much have a flood light.

Here's the origional discussion about the AAA Inretech. The pictures are no longer available as I had to clean out my FTP Site, which I did...first in, first out.