Fenix RC40 - anything better?

Dr Forinor

Enlightened
I'm not one for many "big daddy" lights, one or two to have a little fun otherwise I like to choose from the smaller (either pocketable or holster) style lights. If it's one I can only hold in my hand and not on my person, I don't want many of them.

I already had the Fenix TK41, then I decided to purchase this Fenix RC40 (2016 model), and needless to say it doesn't disappoint. It has the throw, it has the flood, it has the lumens.

What I want to know, is there is a light out there (NOT a modded version, ONLY factory standard) that can do all 3 of these better/more? Throwier, floodier and brighter?

Size isn't too big an issue as long as the whole thing can be held in one hand, and the runtimes must be reasonably comparable.

Or do I have pretty much what I want?

Last edited:

Fugu75

Newly Enlightened
There are many options. Acebeam X65 would be my choice. Not sure if it´s floodier than RC40 II but it is a beast when it comes to total lumens and throw. You may wanna wait for Olight X9, I believe it will have the qualities you seek for.

C7N3M T&T

Newly Enlightened
I'm not one for many "big daddy" lights, one or two to have a little fun otherwise I like to choose from the smaller (either pocketable or holster) style lights. If it's one I can only hold in my hand and not on my person, I don't want many of them.

I already had the Fenix TK41, then I decided to purchase this Fenix RC40 (2016 model), and needless to say it doesn't disappoint. It has the throw, it has the flood, it has the lumens.

What I want to know, is there is a light out there (NOT a modded version, ONLY factory standard) that can do all 3 of these better/more? Throwier, floodier and brighter?

Size isn't too big an issue as long as the whole thing can be held in one hand, and the runtimes must be reasonably comparable.

Or do I have pretty much what I want?
Hey Forinor,

Not sure if you have heard of or are interested in imalent lights.. they started making them a couple years ago but hit hard with quality. I love their user interfaces..
For a more throwy light I would look at the dt35 with 8500lm and 1km of throw! Kind of a direct upgrade from your Fenix but it utilizes the xhp35 hi imiters.

But if you can handle staying at around 700m of throw.. they have thier dt70 with 16000lm.. utilizes the xhp70.

Hope this helps
-C7N3M

ven

Flashaholic
Tough call , but if its a standard rc40 then it does not offer anything too special in the throw department. The x65 as mentioned does give enough difference to justify if you want more of an "ultimate" all round light.............out of the box.

Trouble is(subjective) the five 6500k xpl HI's which do wash out colours. I know you said standard, but its worth looking at vinhs offering as you can get a current bump, his programmable driver which measures 10,500lm OTF and 620kcd(pretty amazing). Not too sure what the actual standard version is in lumens, but its not 12,000! Guess closer to 8000lm but dont know.

Does give a very nice 5000k beam, quite floody like the rc40 but far more throw over standard. My rc40vnT is over 7000lm and near 500kcd and you can see the difference over that light.

More info and a few beam pics i did here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428094-Acebeam-X65vn-early-impressions-thoughts

As mentioned, the olight x9 could be a beast! However when it will be released is anyone's guess as the original x9 iirc was due out last year(or was that the x12.........cant remember).