Is is bad/wrong to charge 18650's in the rechargable light?

notfast

Newly Enlightened
I only have a charger for 2 batteries at a time. My thought was to place the 3 18650's in the flashlight and charge them using the rechargeable micro USB cable...

will this have any negative impact on light, batteries etc?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a charger for 2 batteries at a time. My thought was to place the 3 18650's in the flashlight and charge them using the rechargeable micro USB cable...

This light is designed to charge up 18650s? What light is it? Have you run the cells down, charged them back up and measured their voltages with a DMM, to confirm that the internal charging board isn't out of whack and overcharging things?

I personally don't care to buy lights that have internal charging boards, but that's just me. I understand the convenience and they can be quite safe, but I have too many chargers sitting around to let a light do their work for them.

Chris

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a charger for 2 batteries at a time.
Do you mean 2 bay independent charger?

My thought was to place the 3 18650's in the flashlight and charge them using the rechargeable micro USB cable...
Charging 3 of unprotected li-ion in series is not recommended and best way is recharge individually.
Charging 3 protected healthy cells can be done once a while but should not be habit.

Not all batteries remain same like new during years and one may loose capacity more than other. In this case, good one will reverse charge the other cell which is bad for both cells.

In general a flashlight which is designed and capable to recharge all batteries inside flashlight with balance (equally) charging is best way to go.
This means individually recharge each cell inside flashlight without need of removing.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
—and not to scare you off, but improperly charging multiple LiCo cells in series can result in "Vent With Flame" condition...:poof: