Chameleon programing and Lion cub programming

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
So ive tried suggestions, but I can not stay in programming mode, From on 3 quick click gives me the onoffon, but the led is off not dim so I can not go further with the programming,
any suggestions??

Does anyone still have the programming for MR Bulk Chameleon as well as Lion cub?
Thanks, I lost mine with old computer, sitting here trying to figure out Chameleon.
I planning on upgrading the led and revive a classic as well as updating driver.

Thanks

and yes Ive been here since lux I.
Who else remembers lux III been state of the art, or 70 lumens blowing you away!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: For the old timers here! Chameleon programing question and Lion cub

Although I lost my original account in the Big CPF Crash, I've been around since Lux-III era .... Lux-I is before my time, lol

(and bump for your thread)

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the old timers here! Chameleon programing question and Lion cub

Yes
Ive read thu these ,I think im stuck in force mode,trying to get it back to ramping.

Thanks for the links

Last edited:

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened

Forgive me for asking the obvious - it sounds like your light is in UI1 and you want it to be in UI0. So following the instructions that would be to have the light on for at least 1 sec, then click 3 times within 0.3 sec of each other - light should flash off/on/off then flash once followed by lighting up dim. You then have to click 3 times within 2.5 sec to get into the User Interface Selection mode - once there a dim light will indicate UI0 and bright UI1 - each click will cycle between the 2 options. Once you are sure it is dim wait 2.5 sec and the light should flash once to indicate the setting is saved then turn off. Wait a few sec or so and turn the light back on - with any luck it should now be back in UI0 with ramping.

If you have tried this and it doesn't work - not sure what to try next. I don't know if there is a way to reset to default settings but that would return it to UI0 as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Good Luck,
Tim

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

That doesn't seem to do it, IIRC the lion cub had ramping,64 levels ,the chammy did not it had five levels, i think.
Right now it turns on max with a click, a press it flashes max and then goes low to hi.
I would like to have a press go low to hi again

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the old timers here! Chameleon programing question and Lion cub

Maybe my circuit is not functioning I can get it to blink onoffon but it never goes to dim.
Update
I cleaned all threads and put a drop of pro gold on the edge of the circuit board that touched positive
Of battery. I then rotated it less than a quarter inch.
I'm not sure if the pro gold or alignment of the button
Fixed it,but now it works! Can easily be programmed
And responds normally.

Thanks to old forum posts and great knowledge of the folks here, I was able to keep this great light alive.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

for future reference

LionHeart & LionCub Operating Instructions V2

Description The LionHeart is a single cell Lithium Ion based light that is Microprocessor controlled. All features are accessed via a single momentary action switch—there is no mechanical power switch. The momentary action switch and the Microprocessor firmware can put the electronic subsystem into a sleep mode where it consumes <30uA. For extended (year or more) periods of non-use it is recommended to remove the Lithium Ion cell and store it in a dry, cool place. Only a single Pila battery is recommended and approved for use with the LionHeart. The LionHeart can be user configured to operate in one of two different User Interfaces, UI-1 (with 5 discrete variable levels), or UI-0 (with 32 levels that are continuously variable).
*C A U T I O N ! — DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE HEAD without reading this first – 1) The reflector only fits over the Luxeon star one way. If you look at the bottom of the reflector around the hole you will see two curved ridges. The two breaks between these ridges are where the leads of the Luxeon must fit into, BUT WAIT – there are also three legs, and the leg that aligns with the CENTER of one of those two curved ridges is the leg that MUST go into the cutout between the two soldered wire points on the Luxeon star. 2) Then place UCL lens on the reflector 3) Then screw bezel down over the lens/reflector, first making certain the lens o-ring is in place. 4) ANY deviation to the above procedure may result in mis-focusing or even permanent damage to your LionHeart. In fact if there is no need to open up the head, it is strongly suggested that you do not.
Commands: • CLICK – a short press and release (less than 0.3 seconds). • PRESS – a longer press and hold (greater than 0.3 seconds).
User Interfaces
UI-1 command UI-0
Latches the light ON at the level from which it was turned off, or at the level pre-selected under FORCE if FORCE is enabled.
CLICK from OFF
Latches the light ON at the level from which it was turned off, or at the chosen FORCE level if FORCE is enabled.
Turns the light ON at the dimmest level and cycles up through 5 distinct levels stopping at the brightest, or wherever the press is released. Repressing within 1.5 seconds reverses the scolling. Releasing for longer than 1.5 seconds locks in the setting—no more graduated adjustment is possible without first turning the light OFF.
PRESS from OFF
Turns the light ON momentarily (for as long as the PRESS is held) at the level it was previously turned OFF, or at the chosen Force level if Force is enabled. Releasing the switch turns the light OFF.
Turns the light OFF CLICK from ON
Turns the light OFF
Latches on to the brightest setting; an additional PRESS returns the light to its previous brightness, toggling back and forth with each subsequent PRESS.
PRESS from ON
Smoothly cycles through 32 levels, stopping at the brightest or dimmest, or wherever the switch is released. Initial adjustment is down, reversing direction each time the switch is re-pressed.
IN SHORT: In UI-1 three distinct levels are almost instantly available from OFF: Low (press, then release) Chosen Forced Level (click) High (click, then press)
CONFIGURING THE LION HEART
MENU SELECTION. Only one menu item can be changed per Menu Selection sequence. Changes are stored in nonvolatile memory and persist through battery changes until overridden by another menu change.
To access the Menu, begin with the light ON for at least 1 second. Then click the switch rapidly three times, no more than a seconds apart. The light will cycle off/on/off as you click, and then flash once and light up dim, indicating that Menu Mode is now active (but only for 2½ seconds, within which you must make your selection, otherwise the light defaults out of Menu Mode and you have to start all over).
Once in Menu mode, select as follows: 0 clicks (no selection): Times out to lockout. 1 click: Autosleep Enable/Disable. 2 clicks: User Interface Selection (U-0 or UI-1). 3 clicks: Force Mode Enable/Adjust/Disable. 4 clicks: Auto-lockout Enable/Disable. If more than 4 clicks are entered, the menu mode is exited, the LED flashes quickly 5 times to indicate a selection error and normal operation of the light resumes. Having entered Menu Mode with a triple CLICK (from ON ), waited for the single flash followed by dim light denoting readiness for input, then clicking 1 to 4 times according to the menu item to be modified, wait for the single flash. Then (within 2.5 sec.) continue as below.
LOCKOUT (one time only) — 0 clicks Lockout prevents accidental turn-on or unintended use. To manually enter one-time-only lockout, begin with the light on (for at least 1 second). Then click the switch rapidly (no more than a second apart) three times. The light will cycle off/on/off and then flash once (indicating Menu Mode) and then go dim for 2.5 seconds (awaiting menu selection, in this case none), then flash three times. The light is now in lockout mode and can only be turned on by three clicks spaced no more than a second apart. In short: turn the light off with a tripple-CLICK. To turn back on, triple-click or double-CLICK & press. AUTOSLEEP. 1 click after entering menu-mode If Autosleep is enabled, the timer will reset and start counting whenever the switch is clicked or pressed. When 15 minutes elapse without switch action, the Autosleep function starts dimming the light visibly each minute, then holding the dimmest level until turning itself off 60 minutes after the last switch action. A click or press prior to 60 minutes having elapsed will return the light to its original brightness level and restart the count-down. To enable AUTOSLEEP, enter MENU-mode by tripple-clicking (off-on-off). After the single flash CLICK once. Initially the LED will be dim to indicate Autosleep will be active (i.e. if you don't click, Autosleep will become active). A CLICK will brighten the LED to indicate Autosleep will be inactive. Each click will cycle from active to inactive. When you are happy with the choice, wait 2.5 seconds and the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light
will then turn OFF. USER INTERFACE SELECTION. 2 clicks after entering menu-mode Enter MENU-mode by tripple-clicking (off-on-off). After the single flash CLICK twice. The LED will light up dim to indicate User Interface 0 will be active (i.e. if you don't click, UI-0 will become active). A click will light the LED up bright to indicate UI-1 will be active. Each click will cycle between UI-0 and UI-1. When you are happy with the choice wait and after 2.5 seconds the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn off.
FORCE. 3 clicks after entering menu-mode
FORCE mode selects the level at which the light turns ON with a CLICK in UI-1, or momentary ON with a PRESS in UI-0. It is selected by 3 clicks from the power-on menu. The sequence will cycle through all 6 choices, starting with the LED dim to indicate that Force Level 1 (dimmest) will be active. Each click cycles to the next Force setting, the LED brightness matching the 5 operating levels of User Interface 1. When you are happy with the choice wait for 2.5 seconds—the LED flashes once aknowledging that the selection has been made.
The FORCE sequence is: • Level 1 – LED dim • Level 2 – LED med/low • Level 3 – LED medium • Level 4 – LED med/hi • Level 5 – LED brightest • Force Disabled (LED OFF)
If FORCE is disabled a CLICK will turn the light ON at the same level at which it was last turned OFF.
AUTO-LOCKOUT (permanent). 4 clicks after entering menu-mode Auto-lockout can be enabled so that each time the light is turned off it enters Lockout and requires 3 quick clicks (or 2 quick clicks and a press) to turn the light back on. First enter the menu with 3 CLICKS from ON. After the light flashes and dims to indicate Menu Mode, CLICK 4 times (less than 0.3 seconds apart) to enter Auto-Lockout. Initially the LED will be dim to indicate Auto-lockout will be active (i.e. if you don't click, Auto-lockout will become active). A click will brighten the LED to indicate Auto-lockout will be disabled. Each click will cycle from active (dim led) to inactive (brighter led). When you've made your choice, wait 2.5 seconds and the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn OFF.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chameleon programing and Lion cub V2 program instructions

UPDATE 9-27-05:

This is the latest version of the Operating Manual for the Chameleon, laid out in a question/answer format:

The First Thing to know is the difference between a PRESS (push and hold button until something happens) and a CLICK (quick push and release).

Operation of the Chameleon - How do I…

...turn it on?

CLICK once.

...turn it off?

CLICK once.

...access the five dimming levels?

From Off, PRESS and it will start at Level 1 (dimmest) and Step Up through the five levels. Release the button when you reach the desired brightness level. If you overshoot the level you want, simply release and PRESS again within 1½ seconds, and it will Step Down through the levels. When you release the button for longer than 1½ seconds it remains set at that brightness level.

...go to Level 5 (Highest brightness) instantly?

While in any brightness besides Level 5, PRESS and it will instantly go to Level 5 (High). When the button is released it will remain latched on High. To go back down, PRESS again until it returns to the previous level, then release. Or CLICK to immediately turn off from High.

...lock out the switch?

From On, CLICK 3 times quickly and wait for a flash. After 3 seconds it will flash 3 more times. The switch is now locked out and must be CLICKed 3 times to turn the light back on and resume normal operation. Handy if packing the Chameleon in a bag or similar where the switch might come into contact with other items, thus preventing accidental turn-on.

...turn AutoSleep on and off?

From On, CLICK 3 times quickly and wait for a flash. Then CLICK once and in 3 seconds the light will come back on at a dim level. This is the default to activate AutoSleep and to leave it there, do nothing and wait for the flash. To deactivate AutoSleep, CLICK once and the light will become brighter, and then will go out after 3 seconds. AutoSleep is now inactive.

...set it to one of the four Current Tables?

From On, CLICK 3 times quickly and wait for a flash. Then CLICK twice and in 3 seconds the light will come back on at a dim level. By CLICKing 3 more times after this, the light will get progressively brighter and on the fourth CLICK it will return to the first dim level. Each of these levels indicates which Table you are selecting, with the first (dim) level indicating 350mA max, then 500mA max, 750mA max, and finally 1000mA max. Stop when you reach the desired Table and in 3 seconds a flash will indicate it is now set to the newly selected Table.

...set it to always come on at the same brightness level (Forced Brightness)?

From On, CLICK 3 times quickly and wait for a flash. Then CLICK 3 times and in 3 seconds the light will come back on at a dim beam level. Then with 4 additional CLICKs the beam will get progressively brighter until upon a fifth CLICK, it will go out.

Each of these beams matches the brightness level at which the Chameleon will be forced to start each time, and the fifth CLICK will deactivate Forced Brightness, meaning it goes back to starting at the last used level each time.

*How AutoSleep works

After the Chameleon has been on for 15 minutes it will step down one brightness level each minute until it reaches Level 1 where it will remain, and eventually it will turn itself off after a total of one hour has elapsed from when the light was first turned on. But a CLICK or PRESS any time during this dim-down sequence will immediately bring the light back to its last used level, at which time the 15-minute countdown begins again.

Last edited: