AA Energizer Lithium Batteries in Streamlight Sidewinder?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Without getting too technical here, I just wish to know the following below, preferably with a Yes or a No answer.

I usually keep the Energizer AA Lithium batteries inside my Streamlight Sidewinder even when I am not using it and I only use it for emergencies (when the power goes out). So my question is, will the batteries leak if I keep them inside the light or should I take them out?

Also, I store my light in a dark place at room temperature.

So when keeping the batteries in the light will cause issues even when the light is not used for a long periods of time?

I just need a simple answer without getting too technical. I would appreciate that.

Thanks!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be fine keeping Energizer lithiums in your light just don't store it with alkalines. I don't think there is a 100% guarantee that lithium batteries won't leak but I have kept them in lights for years without any problems. The Sidewinder lights have a parasitic drain due to the type of switch they use so but it is reported to be very minimal and shouldn't cause a problem unless your batteries are weak to begin with. There are some reviews in the Flashlight Reviews section that may provide some insight on your light if you are interested. As I would with any emergency light I do recommend that you check occasionally to see that the light is working properly.

Last edited:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I am using the AA Ultimate Lithium batteries.
Will parasitic drain cause the AA Lithium batteries to leak?
If not, then what is exactly a parasitic drain?

If I just loosen the cap with the batteries left inside, will that prevent parasitic drain?

If just loosening the cap from the batteries will prevent parasitic drain and leakage, then I am good with that.

Anyways, I am keeping an eye out on a Surefire (V1 Vampire) as a replacement soon!

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parasitic drain refers to the light using a small or minute amount of power all the time usually for an electronic switch. I wouldn't worry about the parasitic drain in the AA Sidewinder as it is pretty minute. I leave lithium AAs in my Sidewinder all the time and have never had any leaks,in fact I have yet to have any lithium battery leak in any light so it doesn't concern me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a former Disaster Management coordinator I agree with ZMZ67 about periodically checking the power level on my lights, especially any emergency lights. A good idea would be to set a monthly task in your calendar to remind yourself to check all of the important lights for function and cell power level. A light reserved for emergencies does one no good if when the emergency happens it doesn't work due to dead cells.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
A parasitic drain would NOT cause the batteries to leak?
Am I correct?

Or, if I am this paranoid, I will just buy a new pack of fresh AA Lithium batteries and then insert them into the light when needed.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As ZMZ67 said, neither he nor I have ever heard of a case where lithium primary AA cells have leaked. I suppose if you left your flashlight on the dashboard all day in the middle of summer in Phoenix, AZ, that the resulting heat might cause them to leak, just from thermal expansion. Leave the cells in the Sidewinder, and carry an additional set along just in case they run down (a good idea for any light, by the way).