Looking for the tiniest button-cell, LED "flashlight"

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
So, basically, I've got this little "gem":

https://www.amazon.com/new-digital-fishing-hunting-watch/dp/b007jiuqak

No backlight. I have to do something about it. Modding this thing from the inside is probably a no-go, although I could give it a try.

But the most straightforward approach would probably be to just stick a tiny light right above the top of the display. I couldn't find anything suitable on my own. Maybe a modified finger light?

I'm open to suggestions. The solution has to be elegant, well, relatively.

Thanks!

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
search for "thumb-lite" - it might be what you're describing. I don't know how well it will light up the display tho, maybe some creative lens work will be needed to direct the light where you need it.
hope this helps :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, off axis lighting will do little to make the display visible in dim light conditions. In non-backlit displays, the backing material is reflective, and is used to reflect incident light back to the viewer. Take your little gadget and hold it at about a 45° angle to your eyes and see how well you can read the display. You would be better served by having something like a Photon II/Micro, any fauxton button cell, or even a Tube/Tip/Worm style light on a lanyard so that you could turn the light on, move the little 'gem' under the beam from the light, then turn the light back off after getting your reading.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One possible option is to take it apart and try and see if you can light it from inside the device using an LED. If the device is powered by 2 coin cells then it has enough voltage to power an LED easily perhaps even a resistor to reduce the output. If the light is enough then you just need to add a switch to turn it on/off.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many like them, but I don't much care for thumb/coin lights. Energizer makes a button cell flashlight that is in a tiny, traditionally shaped host, called the Energizer Micro LED Light.

Here is a video review that is a bit over the top and long-winded for such a small thing; reviewer compares it to a "finnex", but it sure looks like a "phoenix" to me:

These can be found for about $5 at Walmart, or Walgreens where I found mine, but here is one at
OpticsPlanet

That's all well and good, but I believe pepekraft already suggested the solution above that you seemed to be hoping for yourself, a tiny sticker light meant to attach to a key, but bear in mind what Timothybil says above about reflective material and that an off-axis light source would make the display easier to read, especially if you can move it around to find the best angle for viewing.

Last edited:

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
"Thumb Lite" = Problem solved! Thanks guys! Didn't think it would be this easy.

*Prior to starting this thread I've done some tests with just a regular pen light and it lit up the whole display just fine from the position I was planning to stick my "tiny LED", which is right at the top of the display.

I'm pretty sure that modding this device is quite possible but I don't see (now) why I would want to invest any time in it when there's an "out of the box" (well, sorta) solution.

*When I'm out in the field and it's dark out, you can bet your a*s that I have my Fenix HL35 with me (and/or something better) but lighting up the display with just a tiny LED is about maintaining stealth than anything else.

Thanks again!

Last edited: