Insight Typhoon getting an XML2

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok gang, taking what I learned from my Gladius XPG2 triple build (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ntures-in-Modding-a-Blackhawk-Gladius-SUCCESS!) I got an XML2 and a base/reflector set from Mtn Electronics to go in a Typhoon I just snagged from the 'bay.

6iYvkRr.jpg

Got the head open, original Lux III off of the heatsink and figuring things out. Need to figure out how to center the slightly smaller reflector in the Typhoon head. I also need to grind a fraction of an inch off the back of the reflector to fit in the head behind the lens.

Did some poking around on Cree.com and an XML2 puts out 300-400 lumens at 1000ma depending on tint, I figure the Typhoon should give me plenty of punch in a versatile package.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickest mod ever! I want to thank you guys for all the words of wisdom back when I did my Gladius mod. This went smoothly and quickly.

FnYXqqN.jpg

Cut new hole to get wires on either side of the LED
nd8HymK.jpg

Comparison shot... Typhoon XML2 on left, Surefire LX2 on high on right
Hi7NCh9.jpg

The reflector is from a build-your-own-drop-in kit. I unscrewed the base and just used the reflector. Had to file some of the back off the reflector so the head would screw down. Wrapped foil tape around the reflector so it would center in the stock reflector holder. The little plastic butterfly that sits on the led that centers it in the reflector is key! Also put bits of fiberglass electrical tape over the solder points to prevent shorting on the reflector.

Last edited:

Latest posts