Farthest thrower using AAs?

river251

Newly Enlightened
I want a light that will see down the road a fur ways.

Any tips on what out there using AA cells (as many as needed) and single or multiple LEDs is currently the throwing champ would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here are a couple of mainstream options:
Nitecore EA45S, 4xAA, 1000lm, 402m beam, 40500cd, 1x Cree XP-L HI V3.
Nitecore EA81, 8xAA, 2150lm, 462m beam, 53300cd, 1x Cree XHP50.
Fenix TK41C, 8xAA, 1000lm, 480m beam, 57600cd, 1x Cree XM-L2 U2 (Also has red and blue leds).
Eagletac SX30A6-D, 6xAA, 1102lm, 525m beam, 68800 lux, 1x Cree XP-L HI V3.

With this new generation of multi-segment emitters and what-not, multi-emitter throwers seem to be on the way out. Multi emitter flashlights are still great for high lumen output floody lights.
Most of the furthest throwers aren't AA powered.

swan

Banned
In the AA format there are not many throwers but these are worth a look

Nitecore EA45S - rated at 1000 lumens 40 000 candela 402 metres throw ansi, uses 4 X AA.

Nitecore EA81 - rated at 2150 lumens Approx 50 000 candela 462 metres throw ansi, uses 8 x AA

Also the Fenix TK41 and the Nitecore EA8 are older models in the 8 x AA format, but if you can get one they both would out throw the above models by a little . [ both around a 1000 lumens and approx 55- 60000 candela]

These days the 18650 format offers the greatest choice and the current king of stock throwers is the Thrunite TN42 rated at 650 000 plus candela 1500 metres throw ansi and 2000 lumens.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Worth mentioning may be Maglite ML300L.
Runs on 3 D-cells (also availible as 2 D with a little less output).
Can also work with AA to D adapters.
625 lumens, 41200 cd, 406 meter.

Vorador77

Newly Enlightened
Theres also the Thorfire TK4A (460 meters), affordable too. My favorite of the above mentioned is the ML300L but it is significantly bulkier

maglite mike

Enlightened
Worth mentioning may be Maglite ML300L.
Runs on 3 D-cells (also availible as 2 D with a little less output).
Can also work with AA to D adapters.
625 lumens, 41200 cd, 406 meter.
or the maglite mini pro plus which runs on 2AAs

jgmoosehunter

Newly Enlightened
I second the Thrunite TN4A. Great firefly mode, very nice throw. Good ui. It is a stubby little dude, but could still ride in a jacket pocket. Everyone I've shown ends up buying one. They all love the throw on it. First light I bought after joining this great forum!

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres also the Thorfire TK4A (460 meters), affordable too. My favorite of the above mentioned is the ML300L but it is significantly bulkier

There is something wrong with the claimed figures with this one... They claim 11600cd, and a 460m beam distance. Now, the candela figure directly correlates to the calculated beam distance, according to the industry standard ANSI/NEMA FL1.

"Peak Beam Distance is the distance in meters at which the flashlight produces a light intensity of 0.25 lux. This is not very bright, about equal to a full moon. This distance is not actually measured. Instead the value is calculated by taking the peak beam intensity measured above, dividing by 0.25 lux, and taking the square root of the result."

If you look at the peak beam intensity claims and compare it to the beam distance claims of all of the other flashlights from reputable brands, you'll see the correlation. For example, 57600cd results in a 480m beam distance, and 53300cd results in a 463m beam distance.
Now, how can a flashlight have 11600cd and 460m beam distance? It doesn't add up. Also, it's using a standard XP-L emitter (not the newer XP-L HI V3 which is a high intensity emitter specially designed for max candela/throw); in which case, it would need very large optics and reflecter... bigger than the size of the flashlight, if you look at other older single XP-L flashlights with this sort of beam distance.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. I'm sure it's a fine flashlight, but I seriously question their beam distance claims, and maybe their other claims too, as there's no mention of the FL1 standard. Also it's not shown on their official website.

Edit: This reviewer: http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/review-thorfire-tk4a-xp-l-4x-aa.53932/ measured the peak beam intensity at 24100cd, therefore a peak beam distance of about 310m, which sounds a bit more realistic, given the lens/reflector size/depth and the emitter and output.

Edit2: This is also in keeping with the output of the very similar
Thrunite TN4A mentioned a few times above, which is rated at 26640cd and 326m beam distance, which seems reasonable. For a similar price, the Thrunite seems better to me, not that I own either. ()

My own personal choice out of all the options provided so far would be the Nitecore EA45S, which has fantastic design, fantastic throw for its size, great build quality, great easy to use intuitive UI, excellent heat dissipation due to the unibody design, etc. I own its bigger brother, the EC4S, and I'm really happy with it.

Edit3!!! It seems that Nitecore have discontinued the EC4S, and all of the others of this design type. I wonder if there was some issue with them. Anyway, so I'm going to change my pick to the Thrunite TN4A HI also, which looks pretty darn good. I've got the Sunwayman D40A, which is very good, but it doesn't have the HI version emitter which increases the throw distance significantly. I might have to get a TN4A HI myself!

Last edited:

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
Regarding Thorfire TK4A, I'm not sure this one is ready for prime time. I had one that died after a very short time (1-2 hours). Also, it doesn't say anything in the specs about support for L91 primaries. The brief time that it worked I loved it. IT has a great user interface and looked really well built. However, it definitely didn't throw as far as my EA81 and EA45S.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I have the Nitecore ea81 and the Sunwayman D40A. I would recommend both lights.
I would not recommend the Nitecore 4 cell rubber button model.

If you look at the respected review site :
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEOS-PROS-amp-CONS-and-more!
These are both the best in production AA lights.

regarding the discussion about intensity and brightness ...someone somewhere explained it to me by bringing up a laser ... ''bright? yes , intense?, yes but useful ?..."

To answer your question ...currently the AA throw king is Nitecore EA81. ( as of Jan 24..2017)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4xAA Thrunite TN4A HI throws like crazy. I love it.

And it's affordable.

+1 Thrunite TN4A HI. Side note, for a single AA, the fenix E12 throws quite well imho.

ThruNite TN4A HI
52340cd peak beam intensity
457m max beam distance

ThruNite Archer 1AV2 NW
2400cd peak beam intensity
97 meters max beam distance

Fenix E12
88m max beam distance

Tribull

Enlightened
Got my Surefire EL2 AA today. I'm curious to see when it gets dark tonight how this AA powered light throws its 80 lumens which I'm sure is closer to 100.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
1XAA Manker TO1 II 200 meters with 10,000cd

2XAA Nitecore MT21A 200 meters with 10,000cd

4XAA Sunwayman D40Avn (dedomed led) close to 550 meters with 77,000 lux reported by a member ( Custom made light by CPF member vinhnguyen54 )
or
Eagletac SX30A4 553 meters with 76,500 lux

8XAA Fenix TK41 480 meters with 57,600cd
or
Nitecore E81 462 meters with 53,300cd (Comes up a bit shy to be the throw king)

I personally would go with the Sunwayman D40Avn since it is well made, great mode spacing, and nice tint. Vinh also does awesome work. I have a Fenix TK41VN which Vinh modified for me. It has increase lumens and throw. I estimate it to be around 125,000 lux which would put it around the 700 meter throw mark.

Last edited:

river251

Newly Enlightened
A belated thanks to everyone. I got distracted with work for a while and am coming back to this.... was looking at the EA81 then saw the posts I was reading were from 2006. Is it still being made? It's for sale all over so guess so. I'm surprised the Sunwayman and Eagletac SC30A4 throw farther with 4 AAs than the Fenix TK41 or Nitecore E81 (EA81?) with 8 AAs. More lux too.

Yeah, I've watched some of Vinh's videos. It seems he come up with a new mod and then those sell out quickly. Is there a place to go to see what he's got cooking at the present?

Thanks Sarratt for the link.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
The 4 AAs throw farther because they both have dedomed leds while the 8 AAs lights still have there domes. Removing the dome of the led can lead upwards to twice the the lux compared to the same led with a dome still on it.

If you google sky lumen you can see what Vinh is offering currently on his own sight.