L6 & Pila 150S

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Does somebody know if the batteries Pilas 150S are compatible with Surefire L6?

For my part, I tested but I do not manage to make it function. The batteries enter the tube, but Led does not ignite.Problem of contact? of tension?

Thank you for your returns and information on your experiment.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the + terminal is facing the tail cap. PILA batteries work opposite standard batteries

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure the + terminal is facing the tail cap. PILA batteries work opposite standard batteries

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP! STOP! This is starting to sound very wrong now. DON'T reverse the polarity of the batteries. What do you mean madecow???

I don't own the L6, but from what I've read the problem with 2x150s Pila's is that they are a little longer than 3x123, so they don't fit properly in the L6.

Jan

pyro

Enlightened
In the Pila lights with LED tailcap you have to use the batteries with the + side facing the tail, like in an Inova X5, there is nothing different with the polarity of the Pilas.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pascal, check with JonSidneyB (J.S. Burley's) on this. He is a Pila dealer.

From his website http://www.jsburlys.com/?id=products

[ QUOTE ]
Pila 150S
The Pila 150S is an outstanding replacement for three 123 batteries. Two Pila 150S batteries replace three 123 batteries. It has shown to work effectively in all 9 volt Surefire flashlights so far tested. If your light is an M3, the addition of a Pila spring may be required, these are provided at no cost with any Pila order.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be that you just need the Pila 150s spring for your L6's body.

Britt

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we just clairfy that the Pila's are like normal batteries, +/-. Just in the case of using them in PILA FLASHLIGHTS and the X5 that you put them in + towards the tailcap? Is that correct? Using a 168S with a L4 for example, you would put the + end in first right??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If I remember right, with all SureFire lights, the (+) end of the battery(ies) goe(s) in facing the flashlight head, not the tailcap.

Be sure the (-) side faces the tailcap, and the (+) side faces the head. In the case of a flashlight like the L4 where you remove the bezel to feed it, be sure the (+) end faces outward, so it will face the bezel when you screw it back on.

The Pila 150S and 168S cells are marked on the outside of the cells as to where (+) and (-) are.
You can't get that screwed up unless you aren't paying attention.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for clarification:

1) Only Pila flashlight w LED tail require reverse battery (not all Pila light)
2) If you have old Copia battery (same as Pila), some of them labelled the positive/negative wrongly (I have a pair of them wrongly labelled). While I haven't seen any Pila brand battery with wrong label, I would check (visually) whenever I get new battery from them.

Alan

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
I use the pila 150s batterys in my L6 and the positive terminal goes to the frount of the light. The only problem that I have using the 150s in the L6 is I can't screw the tail cap all the way down. By the way I did a runtime test on the L6 with pila 150s batterys and posted it on the forum. do a search and you will get current, voltage under load and watts input to the converter.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this is the first 9volt surefire problem I have seen without an easy fix. I have read where these have needed springs and things such as in the M3. I had no idea that it would be difficult in the L6. I tried to do a search but did not find what I was looking for except that they were too long unless not screwed down all the way. I will try and find Clifton's thread.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems Clifton got them to work but I do not know the details. I better update my website saying that they might not work in this light util I know more.

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
Hello Jon
It is post CPF # 448084 and I posted it on 01/17/04 in the electronic's forum batterys included. I hope this is the information that you are looking for. Frenchy Led this is what I had to do to get the 150s batterys to work in my l-6
First put the batterys in positive terminal first. then start to screw down the tail cap with the switch in the on position and when the light gives a flash thats where you start slowly turning it back and forth till the light stays on. and there you have it. If you screw it all the way down
you will flatten the positive button do to too much pressure. This is the best answer that I can give you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Yes the batterys are longer than 3 123's but
by playing around with the clicky tail cap you can get them to work for you I have to do it everytime I change out the batteys for charging.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Many thanks to all replies in this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

This morning, and after reading all your informations, I remove the head (KL6) insert 2 pilas 150S, insert a spring provided by Jon and screw the head slowly as Clifton said.
And this time the Flashlight Lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jon, I never wanted to return to you my Pilas 150s, even if they had not gone in L6, they are useful to me in HyperLux V.And now, after some precisions its fit the L6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I like CPF Forum, because it is a convivial place where one always finds a solution to his problem. Thank you still to all of you for this implication to solve my problem. I hope to be able contributed my share to those which will need some thereafter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
Frencyled,

Let me get this straight - you can now screw everything together with no gaps between the head and the body or the body an the tail cap? Does it also work right away after a recharge of the batteries when you put them in again?

I wonder if it's running in regulation on two Pilas. Could someone do a runtime test with a light meter?

Jan

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JanCPF said:
Frencyled,

Let me get this straight - you can now screw everything together with no gaps between the head and the body or the body an the tail cap? Does it also work right away after a recharge of the batteries when you put them in again?

I wonder if it's running in regulation on two Pilas. Could someone do a runtime test with a light meter?

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]Jan I did a runtime test on the pila 150s in the stock L6 and the post number is a few posts up from yours. I still have a gap of about 1 1/2 turns on the tailcap to the body it causes me no problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Jan,

Yes, I can now screw everything together with a small gaps between the head and the body and the body and the tailcap ! It's important to understand, I haven't unscrew the tailcap to insert the pilas.
1) Unscrew the head only
2) Insert 2xpilas150S
3) Insert a spring provided by Jon with Pilas 150S
4) Screw the head
5) The spring of the head will screw in the Jon's spring.
6) Unscrew the tailcap (adjust it) until the push button "click".

You can't screw everything with no gaps as Clifton said, If you screw it all the way down you will flatten the positive button do to too much pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I haven't do a recharge for the moment, but I don't see why it doesn't work right after. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I haven't a light meter, but I hope to buy one in the near futur. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I hope this precision help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif