Tactical modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Whoopee - I've just received my Arc4+ (second). Please pardon my ignorance, as I am new to all this, but what are the "Tactical Modes" used for?
Also, I think I have been sent a "first" rather than a "second" as I can't fault this at all!!!

jtice

Flashaholic
Pure Tact Mode= Light cannot be "latched" on. It will ONLY momentary on. (comes on while pressed)

Semi= ... hmm ah, I am not totally sure. I think thats the default mode.
Where it will do the momentary while pressed, but can also be "latched" on when tapped, or clicked once.

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, if you turned Pure Tactical on, you can turn it off, by simply doing what you did to turn it on.
Just go and set it again, and it will turn it off.

A full description and directions can be found in the FAQ thread,,, its at the top of this Arc section.

georget98

Enlightened
Semi-Momentary Tactical Mode 1: Light operation is normally momentary but it can be latched on with a double click. The mode can be toggled on and off in the menu.

Pure-Momentary Tactical Mode 2: Light operation is always momentary. The mode can only be reset by resetting the light (remove battery for 2 minutes)

Now can somebody tell me what about them is "tactical"? For that matter what is a Tactical Light in general?

MoonRise

Enlightened
Umm, not quite correct jtice.

Normal "out of the box" mode = press for momentary on, click for latched on.

Semi-Tactical Mode = press for momentary on, double-click for latched on. Setting is remembered across resets, and you can still get into the menus.

Tactical Mode = Will not latch on, momentary mode only. Must reset the light (battery out for 120 seconds) to change out of pure tactical mode. Cannot enter menus or change any settings once in tactical Mode.

You really have to read the full FAQ for this light to do the 'fancy' stuff.

My current settings are: ARC4+, semi-tactical, force primary, primary=10, secondary=4

Mike

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Now can somebody tell me what about them is "tactical"? For that matter what is a Tactical Light in general?

[/ QUOTE ] Hey man, that's James Bond, Mission Impossible, and COPS stuff. Cloak and Dagger to be sure!

...Actually Webster's Dictionary defines tactical as:

tac-ti-cal (tak'ti kuhl) adj.
1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp.
military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or
adroit maneuvering or procedure.
[1560-70]
Derived words
--tac'ti-cal-ly, adv.

Hope this helps!
Dave

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like the Semi-Tactical Mode is close to the ideal swtich lock that can be activated without accessing the menu each time. I'd opt to eliminate Tactical Mode first if memory needs to be freed up for other features that would be used more often.

jtice

Flashaholic
Ohhhhhh double click to lathe. [EDIT] ahh,,, I mean, latch. -Someone is having lathing withdraws.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I see, I had that alittle mixed up.

OK, thats cool, as Fastlane said, that kind is a swict lock.
I will have to try that from now on.

Thanks guys.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhh double click to lathe....

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're spending a little too much time in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I just can't figure this tactical thing out. The notion of a 1 watt tactical light that broadcasts your location by radio to the enemy just makes me chuckle. The Arc4 may be a great light, but it's not a tactical light.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's a tactical "mode", not a tactical "light" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it's an edc light, made to be versatile.

some people prefer the momentary function of tactical lights, so this was added as a mode on the arc4.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr, you may have missed the part in the RF thread where he said that at least 1 "tactical" light produced a stronger RF signal than the Arc4.

And yes, the Arc4 is not a tactical light. But that is because it doesn't produce more than 60 lumens.

It is most definately an EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
If you mean the L4, yeah, I couldn't think of that as a tactical light either. SF M6, now that's a tactical light. I'll stick with EDC's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
It may not be a tactical light but you could use your Arc4 as a tactical decoy,assuming(what enemy are we talking about?) they are monitering the rf. An expensive one,but think of the possibilities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ssb

Newly Enlightened
MoonRise, have you been those 4+ settings for long? Interesting that you have a lower level as your primary, and I am curious if you find this more effective.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
When the first "tactical" lights came out, I thought what's the point. But after taking a couple of courses I've come to the conclusion that for law enforcement they can be quite practical. I think "C Cell" mag lights were the first to be thought of as tactical 'cause officers could operate them while holding close to the head and in a pinch use them as a club. I've seen that shift more to the smaller lights that can be used as a "kubaton" but are still bright enough to temporary blind someone. There's lots of reasons to have a momentary on/off switch in the back. I think the police use them mostly to watch how quickly your eyes constrict to see if you've been drinking (and to read your driver's license in the dark).

MoonRise

Enlightened
ssb and all,

My thoughts after playing ... umm -using-, yeah, using the light for a little while:

It can be pretty bright for a small light. Especially in the dark. POW - LetThereBeLight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So I figured that when I first turn the light on, I want some light but not blinding (well, as blinding as a 1W LS driven by a single 123 cell could be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). If I need more light to see something, I can double click to the brighter secondary setting or press-hold for max level 1 output. If I need less light for meandering or if the area is really dark and/or close-by, then I can triple-click to level 16.

So far I like the dimmer Primary setting and brighter Secondary setting with the light set to ForcePrimary and SemiTactical. I get moderate light on activation (Primary=10), the light always activates at that level (ForcePrimary) [well, except when it decided to activate in a dim glow mode and then jumped to a really bright level all by itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif], I can latch a pretty bright level when needed (Secondary=4), or hold for MAX Level 1, or triple-click to a dim Level 16. Works for me so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.