Throwing batteries in the campfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else get satisfaction out of throwing old batteries into a nice raging campfire by the handfulls? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know I sure do. I have about 40 SF123A's in a ziplock ready to meet there final doom.
Maybe I'll let them have it tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
didn't you read the labels? "caution: risk of fire, explosion, and burns. do not charge, dissasemble, heat above 212f (100c) or incenerate."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I think that reading the label was my problem.
If It said " please dispose of properly in a fire, and stand at a safe distance while wearing proper personal protection." I would have probably just tossed them into the garbage can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we don`t see anymore post from you...we`ll know what happened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Ken

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
LOL you will have nice expoding and be prepare fire extinguisher handy.

Do me favor.. run as hell! take cover yourself and you wouldnt want get hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The effects are very similar to those with small arms ammunition! It's best not to be direct line-of-sight! (Speaking from experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif )

Larry

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
haha.... woodsman,
i read the chemistry book, about lithium.
it says, it will emits a bright light, if exposed to fire.

well.. at least, it does have "light" .
would you post some beam shots please after you burned all of them?
:p
(with zoom camera ok!, since u will need to stand far far away from it)

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
didn't you read the labels? "caution: risk of fire, explosion, and burns. do not charge, dissasemble, heat above 212f (100c) or incenerate."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Roth, and the datasheet for a 1W luxeon gives an "Absolute Maximum Current Rating" of 350mA.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
When I was a Scoutmaster we posted rules about putting things in the campfire. The list started out in April with two items, ammo and canned goods, by September it looked like this:

Aamunition and fireworks,
cans of beans (or soup or hairspray(??)or shaving cream),
batteries
the Scoutmasters underwear,
Patrol Leaders flip-flops,
instructions for cooking meals,
whizzz,
recently deceased critters or fish,
Tenderfoot feet,
and,
poison ivy, oak or sumac.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until now, I didn't know why I was saving exhausted 123's. Now, with the 1 & 1/2 feet of snow on the ground and rooftops, it's time to grill more than thick chops on my old Weber . After our bar-b-qued supper, tonight, Chef Jay is going to try some lithium flambe. I'm hoping for a few red hot, smoke trailing, coals to make an entertaining trajectory across my backyard. Putting the batteries right on top of the coals should keep any projectiles mostly upwards - I hope. Yes, I've got fire extinguishers.

I wonder if fresh 123's are more reactive? I do believe that I'll sacrifice a Yuntong for the advancement of flashaholic knowledge. Whoo Hooo! If I don't post the results of my experiment, you'll know why. Just in case - it's been great being here at the CPF and I wish you all the best.

03lab

Enlightened
Er .... isn't that kind of hazardous for the environment too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although my post was (mostly?) in jest, I agree that there are SERIOUS safety concerns for one's self, bystanders, and the property of others. I have been a firefighter and am on our city's Environmental Advisory Committee, and have witnessed a venting lithium battery. Without proper experience, a person may not know how to protect themselves, others, or surrounding property. I'll repeat and concur that tossing a lithium cell into a fire could have dire consequences.

K-T

*Moderator*
I suggest to not throw things like batteries in a fire since the results are unpredictable, not only you might get injured but also others who might be "around". They aren't that healthy for the enviroment either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I am surprised that this thread is actually still going on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.