McGizmo Haiku homemade XP-L Hi light engine.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a member from another group contact me about an emitter and driver swap in his Haiku. After some discussion, we settled on doing a completely new light engine built around the components he wanted so he could then have his original light engine as an alternative option.
A brass heatsink was turned/threaded on the lathe followed by some milled slots on the bottom a drilled/tapped set screw for the ground and the holes for the emitter leads.
It took some time to get it just right but the new XP-L Hi behind the stock McR17 reflector throws like crazy and the Mtnelectronics driver pushes the emitter nicely and features the guppydvr firmware.
I spent much more time than planned to get this one perfect and couldn't be happier with the end results.

20170126_004055-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_030438.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_035143.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_035223.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_035536-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_035315.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170126_035605.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're into selling those cans by themselves, I bet you can drum up some business. I won't call names, but there's another very popular McGizmo modder on here (who does excellent work, mind you) but he won't sell parts, only completed engines. I've done business with him before and got good stuff, but if I could've bought an empty can by itself I would've been much happier.

So I guess what I'm saying is, how much for a can? :)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
His photo has a 15mm mtnelectronics driver in it. If 15mm fits without excessive grinding then that's extra-awesome.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. :thumbsup:

I can relate to why the other modder doesn't care to sell parts. There's certain variables that come into play that make it much easier (less stressful) for us providing a service to just sell completed assemblies so the end user is getting the best possible outcome. Little differences in driver size can effect proper fitment, as well as variations in different reflectors and proper focusing of the intended emitter being used allows each part I make to be tailored to fit the particular components and intended light that I have on hand.
It makes more sense for us to offer completed assemblies that fit your particular light the way it should and, to cut down on the chance of a potentially unhappy customer who might encounter a particular unforseen situation.
All my work is done manually (no CNC) so it takes more time and care to be sure everything is perfect.
Hope you can understand these reasons and why we choose to conduct business in that manner.
In the end, we just want you, the customer to be satisfied and happy.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can relate to why the other modder doesn't care to sell parts. There's certain variables that come into play that make it much easier (less stressful) for us proving a service to just sell completed assemblies so the end user is getting the best possible outcome. Little differences in driver size can effect proper fitment, as well as variations in different reflectors and proper focusing of the intended emitter being used allows each part I make to be tailored to fit the particular components and intended light that I have on hand.
It makes more sense for us to offer completed assemblies that fit your particular light the way it should and, to cut down on the chance of a potentially unhappy customer who might encounter a particular unforseen situation.
All my work is done manually (no CNC) so it takes more time and care to be sure everything is perfect.
Hope you can understand these reasons and why we choose to conduct business in that manner.

Yeah really, I get it. I'm sure most of us do. There's nothing worse than dealing with unhappy customers - been there myself. So its definitely easiest to just avoid the situation at all costs, and I don't blame you for that. Good luck with your endeavor.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can relate to why the other modder doesn't care to sell parts. There's certain variables that come into play that make it much easier (less stressful) for us proving a service to just sell completed assemblies so the end user is getting the best possible outcome. Little differences in driver size can effect proper fitment, as well as variations in different reflectors and proper focusing of the intended emitter being used allows each part I make to be tailored to fit the particular components and intended light that I have on hand.

E-xactly !!! Spot on, Tim... thank you...

P.S.
Darn that other modder... :)