Nitecore P30 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review example was provided by fasttech. Here(link is external) product page at store.
The reason I chose P30 for review, is that Fasttech offers very attractive price + there is site-wide discount coupon "REDPACKET " (25-27 january -20%, 28.01 -3.02 -10% ), so final price is little bit over 38$.

—————————-
STATED CHARACTERISTICS
1JyBG0MgeCw.jpg

HrIrHsLPYbI.jpg

Max Output
1000 lumens
Max Beam Distance
618 m
Max Beam Intensity
95500 cd
Max Run time
680 h 0 m / 28.33 d

LED
CREE XP-L HI V3
Reflector
SMO
Battery
1 × 18650, 2 × CR123
Special Modes
Location Beacon, SOS, Strobe

Beam color
White light
Length
141.5 mm / 5.57 in
Head Size
50 mm / 1.97 in
Weight
165 g / 5.82 oz

Activity
Hunting, Law Enforcement, Military
PACKAGE and APPEARANCE*

P30 is packed into regular Nitecore black-yellow paper box.
e16f65.jpg

Package includes:
1*LED Flashlight, 1*O-ring, 1*Holster, 1*Pocket Clip, 1*Lanyard, 1*Tactical Ring, 1*Silicone Cap, 1*CR123A Battery Sleeve
c873f5.jpg

Size of P30 is small:
head\reflector diameter 50\47mm, length 141.5mm, diameter of body 25.4mm.
Modestly standing side by side with Convoy L2 and Utorch UT02
bdb71f.jpg

d65da6.jpg

P30 looks nice and feels nice in had.
781e9d.jpg

Head is qiute big, with crown-shaped bezel.
1ac279.jpg

But comparing with senior flashlights, like the same L2 (which is choosen because i suppose almost everyone knows it) or UT02 this head seems to look more medium-size.
c90523.jpg

And here is a detail, which i want to point at. PLease take a look at reflector, it is not really smooth. Do you see this concentrical furrows?
I`ll try to reach Nitecore representative here and figure out if this is a defect of something optical improvement. BTW, this furrrows are clearly seen at promo photos. May be you have an idea?
2bede6.jpg

There is Cree XP-L HI V3, why don`t they used dedomed one or XPL-hi?
Cooling ribs are quite big.
6105f4.jpg

there is no spring at head, so that make using P30 with gun mount veeery disputable. At least Nitecore let us to use flat-to batteries. sides of body tube are quite thick, about 3mm.
d45dab.jpg

dd4110.jpg

abc583.jpg

Knurling is regular, rhombical.
a8c6a6.jpg

Tail button doesn`t have u-shaped border. With spare tail rings it gives us something more tactical rather regular longthrower.
8b8edf.jpg

I don`t like side button of P30 at all. Be prepared not to find it in darknew in most of cases. And when your fingers manage to recognise it, you have pick certain pressing force to switch modes. Side button needs to be upgraded, this is my strong opinion.
5b0d03.jpg

It also has indicator feature, so button slowly blinks when there is less then 50%charge left and quickly when less than 10%.
4d23bb.jpg

My cat also like P30`s appearance.
3af173.jpg

*UI
*that is simple.

opOEnn_xz2s.jpg

PYDrJ5I3ghs.jpg

But there is a feature that i meet 1st time. Tail button can give a signal with half-click. What is unusual – brightness will be that same, which was used last time. That can be even strobe! I think that may be reasonable for certain military\police needs.
P30 in work.
P30 has regular cool white light with light istribution, that we get with most of throwers.
c3ca42.jpg

Pen test hasn`t revealed PWM-Shimmering at any mode.

What about runtume and stabilisation. I used my fave 3500 mah NCR18650GA. With it i got about 3.5 minutes of turbo, then 1.5 hours of high (but with brightness slowly falling) and then 1.5 hours constant stepdown to dim light, then off.

After turning off, voltage at battery was 2.98v. I was able to turn it on one more time, but only with lower-mid2 modes.

As for me i`d prefer to see better stabilisation.

Checking P30 performance outdoor, i was surprised that such small (comparing to rivals) flashlight emits such a good beam.

I notice, that i had to increased ISO in lower mode to show it, or it will be invisible at the pic, while eyes could see it clearly.

Btw, trees which you can see at the end of path are in 230m distance from me.
8e51c9.jpg

p30-les.gif

the same with zoom
les-zoom803bb.gif

175 meters to wall.
you may not see this well, so i point that mid2 mode, inspite of small brightness, still makes a noticeble light at this wall (in pic of original size it clearly seen)

p30-stena.gif

The same with video, human eye see this differenly, as it catches more light.

OVERALL impression.
Though i didn`t like such sides of P30 as:
inconvenient side button
not good stalisation
no head spring

I have to point at pluses:
impressive throwing light
good variety of modes
compact size
no PWM shimmering.

And the main andvantage here is, i remember again – price. With "REDPACKET " coupon it can be as small as 38$, thought even without coupon price is still very attractive.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I have the P30 and I like it.......good value for the price. Most nitecore 18650 lights require button tops and I'm glad this one doesn't.

narmattaru

Enlightened
UPD
i`ve just checked some throwers from the same distance (about 5 meters)

here are numbers that i got, maximum for every flashlight.
utorch ut02 136
nitecore p30 158
convoy l2 206
ballista 301

they are just relevant numbers i got at my luxmeter from the distance i picked randomly, which in my case was about 5 meters.
non of them shows exact brightness of any flashlight. i measured them just to give idea of how hotspot of one flashlight is brigther ( or vice versa) than other.my UT02 is CW.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I'm also glad that Nitecore allows for flattop cells right out of the box. This is a fun light for me as it has such excellent throw for the size. BTW, check on your eighth photo down there is a comment that reads, "There is Cree XP-L HI V3, why don`t they used dedomed one or XPL-hi?" I think this might have been an error, it is Cree XP-L HI. V3 is simply the latest iteration of xp-l hi.

Also, there was a long discussion on one of the other forums about the reflector lines on this light. It was mostly decided that it is a feature of the light that is used in order to very slightly defuse the hotspot. Every single sample seems to have the same thing, mine as well. If you do get any word from Nitecore on this though, I would love to hear what they say exactly.

tom6

Newly Enlightened
How compare p30 vs otorch uto2? i think you are the right man to do

maxkimi

Newly Enlightened
thank you for review,
The P30 is, I feel significantly more diminutive than even the Olight M2x UT yet in my testing it came in 200 lumens higher than the M2x with 100 meters less throw.

narmattaru

Enlightened
tom6 what about throw, they are about the same.

P30 is better in matter of size.

UT02 has better runtime and usb-charge (+hidden modes). and i like button of UT02 a way more than the one of P30.