My computer again?

Wylie

Enlightened
Hi folks,
I frequent a few different websites and in the past couple days I have been having problems loading pictures. My browser will freeze some times and at others will load everything but pictures. Even here on this forum my browser will not load the gremlins as I write this post and when loading this website my browser will not load anything after http://www.americanconservitives.net/ubb/flag2.gif although I do have the text loading.
On these other websites I frequent other members have complained of this same problem besides myself.

Would any of you have any idea as to what is really going on here?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy,

What Operating System and browser are you running?
Do you have any firewall, anti-virus, spyware, pop-up stopper, anti-spam (mailwasher), proxy software running? Do you leave your computer on for extended periods of time, more than 4-6 hours?

Mike

Wylie

Enlightened
I have just scrubbed my hard drive and started from scratch a couple weeks ago. I have plenty of memory as all the pictures on this web site account for about 8000 kb.
I'm not the only one having these problems. Here's a link to another thread where this is being bounced around.
http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?f=2&i=82189&t=82189

I do get busy and sometimes the computer is left on the I.S.P.s server for longer then I should leave it idle. I kick myself every time I do this as i know it is a terrible practice.

I am affraid it may have to deal with a new virus downloaded in the process of downloading pictures and or HTML from websites.
I'm no I.T. guy so I am just pulling at strings really.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Dan I just passed the word onto the folks at the other website.
I just realized that isn't the website with the problem. The photo page link from www.rodbuilding.org is where all of this seems to be steming from. I got to go back over there and let them know we got a little off track.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie,

It appears that you spelled the domain name (conservitives should be conservatives)incorrectly. Try this link ....
http://www.americanconservatives.net/ubb/flag2.gif

When I talk about leaving your computer on, I am not talking about being connected to your ISP. Though that can cause issues as well depending on the ISP. Just set your e-mail program to check for new messages every 5 minutes and you "should" be ok.

Anyhow, I am talking about how long the actual machine is on for. Windows is fairly notorious for having problems with extended run times. Though W2K and XP supposedly don't, I have seen it with them as well. The problem is called a "memory leak" (look it up). Basically, the software on your computer needs a certain amount of resources to run. When you close a program, the operating system is supposed to release those resources so that it's available to other programs. Problem is, Windows OS's do not always properly release the resources. Sooooo, your system bogs down and starts acting kind of weird.

"Extended" is a arbitrary term because it varies from computer to computer based on hardware and how many programs someone opens and closes. Also, depends on how many things you have running all at one time.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Please note that I am not saying this is your problem, just ideas.

But it really does help if we know what OS and other software you have running.

Mike

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I take it back. It is your problem, Wylie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (and I missed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif, thanks Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ).

Dan

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks guys but this thing is still driving me nuts. I think that is a great deal of the problem with the Internet, many things are lost in translation. Okay spelling has a lot to do with it as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif but that wasn't even the website in question. I just mentioned that as I came to this website (cpf) after leaving Mudhole Custom Tackle Supply's picture page.
I have never had a problem with the pictures loading on this website until just this last weekend.
My systems resources are doing well with 80% free more then needed I have been told by an expert I had do some work on my computer. When this work was done we scrubbed the hard drive and this was only a week or two ago. I have been storing everything on rom since to avoid overloading my system again and erasing everything right after it is stored on the roms.
It has been about every other time I have turned the computer on that I have run the maintenance wizard to keep my resources up to par as well.
I am not the only person having these same problems as there are others that have posted with the same on www.rodbuilding.org under the thread PHOTO PAGE that is still growing.
I'm still at a lose but not going to loose sleep over the deal. The largest problem for me is this website with the pictures I can no longer load is an avenue of income for me as it shows the work that I do and brings customers to me.

By the way if any of you are going to be at the Fred Hall show on the 3rd get a raffle ticket from the All Coast group you may win one of my fishing rods I built.

I'm out,
Wylie

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie,

I read the posts of people having problems. Though I am not saying there isn't a problem with that site...... I am also not saying there is. I was able to access all the pictures that I tried to view. Everything appears to be fine .... at least for right now.

Consider the following concept. At any given time there are millions and millions and millions of people on the Internet. The people reporting problems from the Rodbuilding webpage are statistically insignificant (no offense to any of you). There are many possibilities besides general Internet congestion and problems with any specific webpage that should not be ruled out.

Some things to try (which it sounds like you do) are to delete your temporary internet files, delete your cookies, clear your cache, close your browser and try again.

If hitting the refresh button does not work ....... while holding the shift key down, hit the refresh button again. Holding the shift key and refresh at the same time forces the browser to load a page fresh, not from your cache.

If you continually experience problems at different webpages you may need to look at other variables in your computers environment. Such things as what software are you running, is your modem going directly into the wall jack with NO splitters or other devices sharing that jack. Do you have satellite television that needs the phone line also? How long is the line from the modem to the wall jack? What appliances or devices is the modem line running next to?

Then you need to look at your specific modem. What kind of modem is this ..... hardware or software based? Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer (if they have any)?

Wylie, please do not take offense to this. But you have not provided much in the way of information necessary to try to help you. You have told us that you have scrubbed your hard drive, but no mention of what operating system you are running or what browser (and version) you use. We have no idea what hardware you are using or what your specific setup is. You have not told us what other software you are running. All you have really done is to state that you are having problems loading pictures from a specific web site.

If you still need help, we want to help ....... we need to help ...... please let us help. Maybe we won't be of any help at all, but at least we could try. I mean, it's all just theory until it works .... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Mike, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I got a late start today but I will get back to this a little later. Just making a quick check on emails and my latest posts.
Time to go play road warrior amungst the masses.
Have a good one,
Wylie

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Geez! I had a FRIGHT a while ago!

My 'puter sits here on a lot, with the monitor off.

I turned on the mon, jiggled the mouse, got two beeps and lock up. Tried a couple hot reboots, and got "failure of master hard disk" GASP!

A cold shutdown while I ate, a complete scandisk, and away we go! WHEW!

I can't seem to cure the machine at work though. Gonna have to get professional help!

Wylie

Enlightened
To late to get into this now. It may just be as easy as a windows update but I am not for sure. The first two downloads didn't take so I have to start with that.
One quick thing to do and it's a day!

Keep it real,bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Wylie

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wylie,
No worries, when you have time.

PlayboyJoeShmoe,
In your power management settings, see if you have it set to shut down your hard drive after a specified amount of inactivity. Might be a simple case of having problems coming back to life. I know some computers had problems with that, well .... sleep mode type stuff. Anyhow, you could simply disable that feature and see if the problem persists. I disable all that stuff on my desktop computer, no battery to conserve. Anyhow, if it still happens, it's back to the drawing board for that.

Mike

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Mike,
That's another thing for the check list. It was three in the morning when I got around on checking for updates for Windows and this could very well be my problem as well. I guess scrubbing the hard drive set me back a couple of years. At almost 2 hours for the downloads I wasn't about to get started with it a 3:00 a.m. It turns out there are many people who are still having this problem and the weirdest thing is that all of them are only having the problem with this one website.
Ithink its a Windows patch or something.
Now is a good time to atart those downloads so I am back on it again for a little while.
Thanks for the help, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened
Dang! I was wrong about those downloads. One group of down loads was an hour and a half at 56k and then I checked the others and I was looking at over four hours. My freaking dial up lost connection after two hours and now I get to try and peice this download thing together.
Anybody got anything I can slip in these cable guys coffee?
Nah just kidding!
I have done a couple downloads sucessfully and all that has done is change my prefered setting back to default so I am still plugging away here.
If I can fix this thing and know how I did it I'll let you guys know.
I think I might try a Mac next time!

Wylie

Enlightened
After all of that I have found four Trojans and they are now locked up and ready for the chopping block. I don't know if Trojans can change my web settings but the date was right and it seemed to make sence to me. After locking up the Trojans I reset my web settings to default and all is well in mudville.
Thanks guys,
Wylie