I am fed up with Surefire

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Ok, a few days ago I added my light collection the Surefire 6PX Pro and tested it out. I was VERY disappointed from the fact that the light beam still has the greenish-yellow tint to it like ALL Surefire lights tend to have...
The light beam resembles an incandescent light to be honest here.

The light did not appear that it had 320 lumens at all due to the warm yellowish tint of the beam.
What a waste of money. All people are paying for SF lights is the quality build and that's about it.

Well, with that said, the ONLY SF line of lights I tend to go for now are the V-Series Vampires and that's about it.

I want a light beam that has the pure white to it and not the yellow tint.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
If you go 6p you can pick your LED/tint of choice...............and driver options to suit, be it single or 6 mode! Just thoughts:) as surefire dont make lights around tints, but more for life/death uses where seeing a nicely colour rendered enemy is low on the priority list.

For a traditional type beam, a nice p60 with a 5000k temp would suit your needs. Be it in xp-g2 or xpl HI flavour.............Up to around 60kcd is possible from a de-domed xp-g2 iirc, which for the limitations of the p60 design, is pretty good!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-L Hi in ~5000K has been very good, personally, three times now (in three different flashlights). White is indeed white, even snow. Faithful readers here on CPF know that Surefire is not into it, but their P60 hosts love all the tints. mtnelectronics sold me a dedomed XP-G2 S3 0D dropin that is really good tint wise, and throws fantastic for such a small (smooth) reflector; just don't do a A/B comparison with another light that has ideal tint.

The Oveready V5 dropins (when available) are another solid choice for a non-distracting tint. You might consider going Oveready with the Wasp or the BOSS if you are patient and diligent.

Respect is what comes to mind whenever the name Surefire comes up for many of us.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a G2x Pro, then lost it. Then got another one. Both times the tint was very nice. I think I got lucky because I hear it can be green.

the runtime is forever plus an hour on low and you get full 320 lumens on high, a wall of fire.

It's light, durable and the dual modes are spaced just right. I have no other surefires, it's the only one I ever had and no plans to get another one.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was glad to see that less than copy paper white tint.

It seems the G2x Pro and 6Px Pro were SureFire's way of taking some of their products down a consumer oriented path with SureFire reliability.

They make for great general use, dog walker lights. And as the user if it doesn't cause you to squint when first lit that is definitely not a bad thing in quick action scenarios at 3am.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
No disrespect intended to Surefire, but I've also become disenchanted. They are more focused on holsters, suppressors, and lasers now than flashlights. They've just unveiled some new lights at shot show 2017, but most of them use the same wide angle, 300 lm emitter. If you want something with more power, you're options are essentially limited to the Lawman or the fury series, although you can't choose your beam tint on any SF model. Last year I purchased a P3X and tried very hard to like it, but it felt cheaply made compared to Elzetta/Malkoff so I sold it. The batteries even rattled a bit inside the tube! Now some SF offerings have a USB charging port built in. Some will find that useful, but to me it only adds additional circuits that can break and decreases exterior water resistance. I am a former Surefire addict, and I hope someday for fully potted electronics, a choice of beam tint, and a bit more diversity in the product line up.

cp2315

Enlightened
You might be lucky if you get a g2x pro instead. Mine has a perfect Snow White tint. I picked it over 6px because I guess the 6px would be slippery. Also the 15 and 320 lumen levels are perfect imo too. It is also not as cold when held in hand.

Best $50 I spent. Great for all outdoor activities like camping or night hiking.

Yes like You are aware too surefire was never aiming at perfect tint. It is more about reliability. That said, you don't have to stick to something you do not enjoy. Just return 6px and get a g2x. Save yourself a few bucks and be happy as well.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get used mint G2x pro all day for $35 on your fav online auction. Even new ones online elsewhere via discounts.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have one G2X Pro and a LE version. The LE is pure white and the pro is slightly green/yellow. Don't notice it when using outdoors.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny but a lot of us are trying to find LED lights that resemble Incandescent too?

But I never really grouped this with the greenish tint I see in a lot of SF either.

I think it is all in your point of view.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-L Hi in ~5000K has been very good, personally, three times now (in three different flashlights). White is indeed white, even snow. Faithful readers here on CPF know that Surefire is not into it, but their P60 hosts love all the tints. mtnelectronics sold me a dedomed XP-G2 S3 0D dropin that is really good tint wise, and throws fantastic for such a small (smooth) reflector; just don't do a A/B comparison with another light that has ideal tint.

The Oveready V5 dropins (when available) are another solid choice for a non-distracting tint. You might consider going Oveready with the Wasp or the BOSS if you are patient and diligent.

Respect is what comes to mind whenever the name Surefire comes up for many of us.

Agree. Especially for 3aa or single 18650 format. Tint, output, and intensity-ultimately runtime that is possible and have intensity my cones need to see well. Though I am so satisfied with the hi, that don't see the point in messing with the g3. Maybe on a light for my kid.

Go 2x18650, then I might accept a v6 bin xpl.

I think only by slow acustomization over years, people grow fond of their yellow tints. . Any kid or newbie, prefer 50000 to 5500k. I stay 4k to 5k Kelvin, more to be safe as I hunt slight color differences. But to be sure, the eye self white balances. . Though I am confident I dislike sub 4k Kelvin and over 6k. Maybe sub 4k, if I am trying to fall to sleep. Maybe, 6500 to wake up or see super far. Then you have the whole scotopic theory that says cool low, low light for peiferiial vision at night. But green is never good, though older xre that were cutting edge, tended to be green for some reason.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Sounds like the light has a tint many people around these parts would like.

"I want a light beam that has the pure white to it and not the yellow tint."

Not sure what to make of this.

"All people are paying for SF lights is the quality build and that's about it."

I think unless someone pays for a tint specific light say warm and you get CW not sure if there is really a leg to stand on. Tint is within the eye of the beholder. Then again who am I to say what's important to the OP or anyone else. Actually working to me aka it holds up to field use is my number one requirements but admit if the tint sucks odds are the light won't be used as much however I don't view that as a manufacturing issue as odds are the maker didn't guarantee the tint.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Sounds like the light has a tint many people around these parts would like.

"I want a light beam that has the pure white to it and not the yellow tint."

Not sure what to make of this.

"All people are paying for SF lights is the quality build and that's about it."

I think unless someone pays for a tint specific light say warm and you get CW not sure if there is really a leg to stand on. Tint is within the eye of the beholder. Then again who am I to say what's important to the OP or anyone else. Actually working to me aka it holds up to field use is my number one requirements but admit if the tint sucks odds are the light won't be used as much however I don't view that as a manufacturing issue as odds are the maker didn't guarantee the tint.

Something I never knew until about twenty minutes ago while looking for the cd of my Olight which says 250,000 on the M3XS-UT Javelot box, it actually has the tint color listed too which surprised me. It says 4000-4500k. (Which is what I would have guessed one of my warmest tint lights).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clarification:

I always believed "tint" referred to a shading or coloration and not the CCT.

So, to me, within a given CCT range, you might have redder/yellower tints.

But, I would not use tint to refer to CCT, only the coloration.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Something I never knew until about twenty minutes ago while looking for the cd of my Olight which says 250,000 on the M3XS-UT Javelot box, it actually has the tint color listed too which surprised me. It says 4000-4500k. (Which is what I would have guessed one of my warmest tint lights).
Not sure if 4000-4500 claim will save someone from the tint lottery as the light coming out can still look different between two lights with those stated numbers. Truth be told I will take about anything so long as it looks good though prefer warmer. I do have nice looking CW lights and skanky looking NW so lots of human perception and preference comes into play IMHO. So though the OP is feed up with SF lots of other fokes aren't. I really haven't bought any newer SF lights. Just older stuff.