Surefire Intellibeam technology -- anyone has experience with it?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw some new Surefire flashlights advertised to have "Intellibeam" technology.

Surefire says it uses sensor and processor technology to "continuously evaluate(s) your environment and seamlessly adjust(s) the output ... faster than your eyes can detect, to deliver the optimal amount of illumination based on your surroundings."

Flashlights with this option include:

P3X and P2X Fury

R1 Lawman

M600 Scout

DBR Guardian

So, my question is: does anyone here have experience with this technology?

Do you like it? How does it work?

And how does it affect runtime?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
A related question is how regulation works in Surefire flashlights.

Surefire says: "...we regulate these LEDs with sophisticated electronics that help squeeze out every lumen of output and monitor the power source to maximize the useful runtime of the illumination tool. So you get the light you need when you need it."

But how does this regulation work?

In most other flashlights, you get a steady level of lumen output, so as battery voltage drops current draw is increased.

At some point, below some voltage level (which depends on the emitter) you either run out of voltage and lose light, or you go into direct-drive.

But is this how Surefire regulation works? Or differently?

And how does it connect to this "intellibeam" technology?

Hopefully cpf'rs still have knowledge about Surefire flashlights even as they have changed and been modernized!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link, I had not seen it and it is very useful.

One question I get from that is how does Surefire measure runtime nowadays?

You read the latest, 2017 SF catalog, and Surefire tells you the runtime for its flashlights.

For example, G2X LE at 400 lumens on high gets a runtime of 2.25 hours.

What does this 2.25 hours refer to?

I remember from years past it didn't mean the same thing normally used, it was NOT an ANSI definition, nor a time to 50% lumen output but some special Surefire definition.

But anyways, what does the runtime like the 2.25 hours example given earlier, actually mean?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Runtime is now listed per ANSI standard .... There are some other (minor) technical details, but I believe it is the duration of continuous operation until output reaches 10% of that at 30 seconds, while powered using batteries provided with the flashlight or (if not included) manufacturer recommended cell(s)

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime is now listed per ANSI standard .... There are some other (minor) technical details, but I believe it is the duration of continuous operation until output reaches 10% of that at 30 seconds, while powered using batteries provided with the flashlight or (if not included) manufacturer recommended cell(s)

Thanks,very important information!

Bushman5

Enlightened
correct me if i'm wrong but i talked to the Surefire rep here at a store, and he stated that the surefire intellibeam technology automatically adjusts the light out put higher or lower based on your terrain (ie: dark, dusk, daylight, shadows etc)

the light output ramps up or down based on what the sensor sees.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you like it? How does it work?
Yes and Yes!

And how does it affect runtime?
Difficuilt to say. It depends on what are you doing. If you i.e. are exploring "lost places" (bunker, ...) intellibeam will mostly not use the max light in smaller rooms. If you are in the forrest intellibeam will use more tha max. beam since the reflection is low in comparsion if you are in romms and have a light reflection from walls.

Here are a few pictures of the Furys with and without intellibeam and how it looks like:
http://www.messerforum.net/showthre...ew-quot-Fury-die-intelligentere-Variante-quot