Predator Pro V3 Waterproof test

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I had an older Predator which claimed it was waterproof to 10 meters that didn't actually do so well in water. The new Predator Pro v3 claims:

• Guaranteed durability — stands up the recoil of any gun gauge and falling from 30 meters height
  • The flashlight works for more than 5 hours at 50 meters depth

That's an impressive claim that would make it a great dive light (IF TRUE) and more than what I typically need. MY "need" (wish) in a light is one I can carry on my side, that's easy to access, doesn't have to be treated delicately while with me in the harsher places I go. A common scenario would be hiking thru the jungle with multiple river crossings where the water is higher than the light in my side pocket or to the point it's over my head and I'm "swimming." That would require the light to be waterproof to 1 meter. (Yes I realize if I was swimming correctly with good form my side pocket would only be a few inches underwater! :laughing:)

The Test:

I took (2) predators - a brand new v3/XPLHI and a v2 XPG2 and threw them in a 1.2 meter deep pool, both switched on a medium mode. I did NOT attempt to change the modes or switch anything while underwater. I left them there for 10 minutes. I made sure the tail cap was on uber tight as well as the bezel. The head was turned the minimum amount it could be to activate the second line. (Perhaps the results would have been different with the light on high and head turned as tight as possible?)

The new Predator V3 was able to switch on, and looked fine after the test. However after sitting for a day, the light refused to come on. I tried multiple batteries, bypassed the switch (a known weak link with Armytek - DON'T try the 30m falling test with an Armytek you can't afford to lose!) etc. After drying for a while, it now comes on sometimes only with the head loose and only intermittently.
The old Predator after sitting and drying for a day actually comes on fine now.

Bottom line:
The new Predator gets awarded the "Delicate Flower" award in the durability category. :twothumbs
Where as the old literature/marketing was impressive claiming 10 meters for 30 minutes the new literature is VERY impressive with 50 meters depth claim for 5 hours. But the old Predator was more durable - despite claims being exaggerated by a factor of at least 10.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have dunked most of mine but in shallower water say usually under a foot for 30 seconds but on the flip side usually moving aka a stream. No problems. With those double O-rings it must have been either the tail cap or window not the threads IMHO. I would contact their CS.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it's an isolated case. So far I've been satisfied with AT lights' waterproofness. Their well machined, smooth, and tight threads and double O-rings provide a very snug fit and seal that I can feel. In my book, waterproofness is one of the few saving graces of their lights. If they can't even get that right consistently...