Blacklight (UV) to find cat pee urine in a home

super kermit

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good quality black light (UV) to find stale cat pee.

365nM (from my reading) light on 18650 batteries would be perfect

Any help please?

Can be any type of battery, 18650 or AA AAA though

In Australia so an ebay link or a link direct to a store that ships to Oz would be great (Amazon generally WILL NOT SHIP to OZ).

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also be interested in an reasonably priced UV light that works, I already have a cheap version and it`s very poor, too much non uv light, lighting up the area without showing anything.

I also have a couple of cat`s they seem to be very good, but i want to be certain.

John.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 395nm and 365nm seem to be the ones available. I recall seeing at least one light that had both emitters, which would probably be ideal in your case. Streamlight has several lights that either have an ultraviolet mode or are ultraviolet only. So does Nitecore. I am sure they are not the only ones. I would not recommend the TubeUV. I think it is on the high side of 395nm, and while it makes paper glow bright white, it doesn't really do a good job of showing up other things that should be fluorescing as well. It is cheap enough you could give it a try to see if it works for you.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean by average reviews but it is an excellent product. You really won't find better for under $100

Budda

Enlightened
It lacks a visible filter, that the jaxman has. It is IMHO a fundamental accessory.
I think you can purchase it separately.

javafool

Enlightened

lightcycle1

Enlightened
I just had one (Convoy S2+ UV 365nm) shipped in and playing with it tonight. It is PHENOMENAL. If you are a germaphobe, don't buy this. It will either make you insane, or put you on a mission scrubbing and disinfecting everything for the rest of your life. It works really, really well detecting cat pee. (My cats? NEVER.) Bull crap. I couldn't believe what I saw. Shined it around the bathroom/toilet and was equally mortified. I have some cleaning to do this coming weekend LOL. I thought I was doing OK. My cats also play with those little rabbit-fur mousies you buy for a buck at the pet store. The light illuminates all the little rabbit-hair fibers in the carpet along the molding at the edge of the wall where the vacuum doesn't get to very well obviously. It really shows a lot of stuff that isn't visible to the naked eye.

I know they can be had for about 20-25 bucks direct from sellers in China, but I paid an ebay seller a bit more ($37.00) for a Florida shipped unit that was delivered in a couple days. Non-descript cheap packaging, but the light itself seems quite well made. Worth the extra buxx$$$ to me to have it in a few days rather than sweat the slow-boat delivery from China.

I lurked CPF a bit for recommendations on a UV light when I became interested in getting one, and this one seems to be a winner. Glad I took the advice of CPFr's on this one.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem with UV light, is it also shows every spot on the carpet that you've ever cleaned (using a chemical-based cleaner). Cleaners really fluoresce a lot under UV light. And, as you noted, every bit of cotton debris or most other fibre shows up too well.

It's fun to play with, but it's difficult to know what is a biohazard and what is just normal.