Which Blaster to get?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Hi,
I have lurked here for the last couple of months and have really learned a great deal. I have decided (I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) to buy one of Waynes Blaster model flashlights. The great run time of his flashlights is the most deciding factor for me. My problem is I am not sure which one I want to get. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. The BL-1R, Hyper Blaster-1R, or the Blaster 3. This flashlight will replace my old 3D Mag-lite I have in my Jeep. Will any of these flashlights have the reach of my 3D Mag? Is the BL-1R is about as bright as the Blaster 3? Does anyone like the BL-1R better than the Blaster 3? The 2D models appeal to me because of thier shorter size. Also I cannot find a run time plot on either of these models. Any suggestions? Have I asked enough questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Reptilezs

Enlightened
if you want a short size yet the power of a blaster 3 i suggest the hyper blaster. i belive it uses a 3 watt luxeon and stacked micro pucks

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
if you want a short size yet the power of a blaster 3 i suggest the hyper blaster. i belive it uses a 3 watt luxeon and stacked micro pucks

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the reply. So the Hyper Blaster and the Blaster 3 have roughly the same light output? Hard decision to make. If I go with the Blaster 3 I would get longer battery life but with the Hyper Blaster I get a shorter flashlight. Again thank you for the reply and any or all suggestions are helpful.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks Terry! Does your Hyper Blaster run at near full brightness for the advertised 8 hours?

javafool

Enlightened
I ran the Hyper-Blaster for over 6 hours last weekend before it dimmed significantly just trying to break in a set of 8500 mAh NiMH cells. Since they have only been recharged a couple of times, I would expect them to get pretty darn close to 8 hours after 2 or 3 more cycles. That's about the best I can predict right now.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Hyper Blaster would be brighter than the Blaster 3 and have more throw.. but there's the shorter battery life.

i personally got the Blaster 3 for the huge runtime.. it's more than bright enough for every single thing i do outdoors, and indoors for that matter, and i haven't needed to change the batteries once in over a month of daily use.

so for me it all came down to runtime..

if size and brightness are a big factor for you then the Hyper Blaster would be perfect.. 'cause 8 hours of runtime isn't shabby @ all, and you'll get even more anyway, and of decent brightness for awhile.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blaster 3 isn't regulated, right?

OTOH, the Hyper Blaster-1R is regulated, right?

The website says the Hyper Blaster gets about 60 lumens light output. Anyone have numbers on what the other models get?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I am now leaning strongly towards the Blaster 3 for the very long run time. The Blaster 3 is out of stock right now so I will just have to wait for a little while.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I bought a Blaster 1R and a Blaster III for Christmas gifts. After trying them it was hard to give them away. They are very nice lights. I gave these away and I bought my self two Blaster IIIs. It was hard to choose between them. The reason I got the Blaster IIIs was because it is brighter than the Blaster 1R. I wanted these for around the house and size wasn't very important. I could be happy with either one.

Bill.H

Enlightened
LifeNRA, I think you made a good choice. The ONLY downside to the Blaster III is that it doesn't fit in your pocket. It's very bright and lasts forever. I have a Blaster II that sees use a few times a week and I'm still on my first set of batteries. That includes two short duration (2 hour) power outages, where I removed the top and had it light the kitchen and family room in candle mode. It did an excellent job on both rooms, I was able to easily read a book about 5' away.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks to everyone who responded. I have bought a Blaster 3 from another member and it will soon be on its way. I am sure from all the reports I have read that I will be most pleased.
Jeff

Latest posts