Enlightened
with say maybe a moderate 5, or 6000 lumens, for good measure
some are pushing 700k lux now stock, but with only 2500 lumens or so
how close are we getting?
what will it take led wise to do it ?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
An extremely large reflector should do it.

How to get lux small light source+big reflector

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about extremely large head diameter that contains multiple emitters nestled within very large non-overlapping reflector wells?

"...moderate 5, or 6000 lumens..." That invokes images of multiple XHP35 emitters.

Three or four XHP35 emitters, each in its own non-overlapping reflector, each reflector 2.5 or 3 inch diameter. The head diameter would be about six inches.

Would that do the trick?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is. I think this is 2 million.

3, 88mm SR90 reflectors

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi-emitter solutions often have excellent lumen output, but usually not particularly high lux/candela and throw.
A powerful single emitter with a very large, perfectly shaped and polished reflector and/or a focussing beam is the way to get to 1 million plus candela.
Focussed beam is cheating, in a way I reckon. That way you get no spill at all and just a "laser beam" output.

The Thrunite TN42 has a single XHP35 HI emitter, 2000lm, 1550m/600,750cd.
The Acebeam K70 single XHP35 HI emitter has 2600lm, 1300m/422,000cd.

The Microfire Excalibur PL20R LED flashlight with a focussed beam claims to have 2000m/1,000,000cd. Not sure what emitter or lumens output.
The OMG Lumens DEFT-X with a focussed beam also claims to have 2000m/1,000,000cd. Again, I'm unsure of the lumens output. XP-G2 emitters, not sure how many. Pretty old now.

I don't know of any factory/unmodified (LED) newcomers on the market that have no kind of beam focussing lens, but have 1,000,000cd beam intensity rating. It should be possible with a large polished reflector and maybe 4x XHP35-HI emitters mounted in a close square pattern in the centre, in a large hand-held form factor.

star_c_star

Enlightened
My Rev-Victor Enthusiast is rated at 1,360,000 candela, and uses an XPG2 with a wavien collar and aspheric lens. It has practically no spill but is still amazingly impressive. The bad news is that the wavien collar is no longer available for general use.

Another light, my TM36vnM, is a custom reflector based XPG2 emitter that is around 1 million candela. It has useful spill.

Unfortunately, neither flashlight is currently available except second hand.

I would love to see a very large reflector based flashlight, with an 6-10 inch high quality reflector, using a hard-driven XHP35-HI or several XHP35-HI placed close together. That may push 2 million candela. It wouldn't be very portable or cheap, but would certainly push the candela limit just by sheer size and brute force.

hahoo

Enlightened
My Rev-Victor Enthusiast is rated at 1,360,000 candela, and uses an XPG2 with a wavien collar and aspheric lens. It has practically no spill but is still amazingly impressive. The bad news is that the wavien collar is no longer available for general use.

Another light, my TM36vnM, is a custom reflector based XPG2 emitter that is around 1 million candela. It has useful spill.

Unfortunately, neither flashlight is currently available except second hand.

I would love to see a very large reflector based flashlight, with an 6-10 inch high quality reflector, using a hard-driven XHP35-HI or several XHP35-HI placed close together. That may push 2 million candela. It wouldn't be very portable or cheap, but would certainly push the candela limit just by sheer size and brute force.

quote.........

thats exactly the kind of animal im talking about!
id love to see what a hard driven xhp35 hi would do in the lemax- super 70 body
i think it 8 inches

anyways, i didnt know vinh ever did anything at 1mill lux?
i know he got close to 800k ?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a larger area of light and lower lumens it will be outperformed by the HID

STO

Newly Enlightened
Getting lumens and throw like that really is mainly a game of massive and multiple reflectors. My Wrath of Ra lights do 950kcd-1Mcd but with the same lower lumens as the other 1Mcd aspheric lights listed. To get the same kind of throw at more lumens (lumens actually in the hotspot) you need much more frontal surface area in a reflector setup better utilize the lumens and compensate for the less throw efficiency of the reflector. That being said in addition to working on lights like that I have been experimenting with very large aspherics and larger LEDs, so much testing and tuning is required to find and tweak LEDs with higher lumens that have good surface density.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah that sucks they discontinued that collar and pretty much put Saab into flashlight retirement. I have a few questions, #1 with all these brilliant builders in here what the hell is so special about the collar that somebody else can't build it also? Or not even in here, find someone who could reverse engineer that thing! #2 why doesn't Vinh get serious with aspheric lights? He dabbles, he has one single 18650, but he has never had an aspheric as one of his current monster projects. #3 I just wonder what Vinh could have done with that Wavien collar. I wonder if he could have dethroned Saab? Pretty sure that Saab hated short runtime 'Turbo' modes, Vinh loves them, Vinh probably would have surpassed that 1,360,000 CD on that factor alone (if only for a minute before step down). We gotta find a damn replacement for that collar this is ridiculous, someone reverse engineer that thing or something.

star_c_star

Enlightened
Saab is not in retirement, and is researching options to produce multi-million candela LED flashlights. He is seriously considering building his own led for such lights, since the manufacturers seemingly care more about bigger leds with more lumens, but less surface brightness per unit area.

Look at his most recent forums.

When he produces them, I'll buy them!

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saab is not in retirement, and is researching options to produce multi-million candela LED flashlights. He is seriously considering building his own led for such lights, since the manufacturers seemingly care more about bigger leds with more lumens, but less surface brightness per unit area.

Look at his most recent forums.

When he produces them, I'll buy them!

How about that! That's good to know I stopped checking up on his forum after he told me in May that yes the Wavien collar derailed all his projects. I'm glad that he got back on the horse.

hahoo

Enlightened
Getting lumens and throw like that really is mainly a game of massive and multiple reflectors. My Wrath of Ra lights do 950kcd-1Mcd but with the same lower lumens as the other 1Mcd aspheric lights listed. To get the same kind of throw at more lumens (lumens actually in the hotspot) you need much more frontal surface area in a reflector setup better utilize the lumens and compensate for the less throw efficiency of the reflector. That being said in addition to working on lights like that I have been experimenting with very large aspherics and larger LEDs, so much testing and tuning is required to find and tweak LEDs with higher lumens that have good surface density.

how many lumens, and what led do you use to get to 1 mill cd ?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also 3x larger. With the size of the BLF GT you can get HID searchlights that put out 2m plus lux with considerably more lumens. BLF GT is definitely the best performance per dollar though.

Last edited: