New Lumintop Tool in brass

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, didn't see any info anywhere on the new TOOL. Massdrop is doing a group buy for a good price if you're interested. I think the drop ends on the 6th. I grabbed a few. I don't think they begin shipping them however until April.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another thread on this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ASS-AAA-POCKET-FLASHLIGHT-(Nichia-219-1x-AAA)

As nice as it sounds, the only thing this version offers that a Copper Tool doesn't is the ability to tail stand, and I don't want to put up with the electronic switch defects to get that. If I need to tail stand, a shot glass works great to hold it.

It is claimed in that thread that the pre-production versions are medium-low-high mode sequence, but the production Massdrop version will be Low-Medium-High.

I can't confirm that, but it would be great if both options are ultimately available for users to choose between.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is claimed in that thread that the pre-production versions are medium-low-high mode sequence, but the production Massdrop version will be Low-Medium-High.

I can't confirm that, but it would be great if both options are ultimately available for users to choose between.
It is clearly stated somewhere there that the production versions will be L-M-H. There is a discussion entry referred to towards the bottom of the description. I believe that is where this is stated.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tail cap has to recharge before it becomes effective
this is accurate, but once there is a battery inside becomes a non issue
the electronic switch does not affect high mode, the efficiency issues reported in maukkas comparison of the TiTool to his CuTool are, to the best of my present understanding, due to differences in the Driver, in the head of the TiTool and in the head of the BrassTool.

It seems that the older 2 layer driver, that used PWM, had twice the runtime, and was flat regulated, compared to the new NoPWM 1 layer driver, on High mode. Medium IS regulated, so if someone has a TiTool or BrassTool and dont use High mode much, then the efficiency is less of an issue. I mostly use Medium and Low.

The third factoid about the electronic switch, is that IF someone uses 10440, the light becomes High Mode Only, until voltage drops to 3.8v. I personally have no desire to High mode in a Titanium Tool on LiIon.. everything about that is wrong tool for the job, to me :)

the electronic switch is a little weird, to me, quite small, and difficult to access. Yes it tailstands, but I dont actually do that much, I dont like getting the LED in my line of sight on a table. Though I used to complain that the mechanical switch in the CuTool is loud, and wont tailstand, I actually like it better.

But no light is perfect, and for someone into brass, the choice to buy a $25 light with a Nichia, has a lot of appeal. Over 2300 people have joined the massdrop.. its a very successful campaign.

Im secretly hoping they do a Copper Tool w the Electronic switch next :) I like choices.. even though Im not buying a Brass Tool myself… Im stuck on Copper..

The Massdrop is for an LMH model, whose low mode will be 3 lumens according to this post.. . The light wont ship til April 11. I do not expect tow different mode options from the drop. But I do expect Lumintop to follow the drop with a run of their own in MLH sequence.. price might go up, to be followed by sales.

When the CuTool and TiTool first came out as group buys they were $40. This massdrop Brass Tool has the lowest initial price Ive seen in a fancy metal Tool. fwiw, the CuTool w Nichia is on sale
Discount codes and link deleted, Ive been informed Im not supposed to share.. sorry.. contact Freeme and M4D M4X and Pablo and Banggood
Theres some deals on the TiTool for about $32 also..

fwiw, the PWM based Tools and Maratacs will Lego both ways. Their body threads are shorter than the NoPWM Tools, so the Head wond Lego to the body of a PWM model, but the reverse does work, and the NoPWM models lego between themselves also...

I have not year heard first hand confirmation that the Brass Tool Head will Lego onto the Brass Body of a Maratac, but I suspect it will, and I think the Maratac head on the Brass Tool body will also work. Because I think the Brass Maratac is a NoPWM model with the single layer driver board and the taller threaded portion (to make up for the second layer of the driver board).. hope that all makes sense.

the Lego benefit, to someone that wants to carry a Maratac w a Nichia, is to be able to buy a Brass Tool w Nichia for basically the price of an inexpensive DropIn...

Last edited:

Latest posts