DIY LED Flashlight Diffuser For X7 or Any Flashlight. Useful Information Video.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
So you just bought a new X65 or a new Sipik SK68 and are asking yourself "What now?". Why not add a little variety to your beam profile?

Here's an easy to follow video tutorial I've made showing how to make a nice custom diffuser for any Flashlight you own. So don't spend hours hunting down manufacturer diffusers only to discover that there is no diffuser for your model. Get that TK75 diffused today. :D

Watch on YouTube

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Very inventive! Never imagined I'd see a picture of a bottle of Instamorph (polycaprolactone) here! Great stuff ... but I fear that it might not stand up well for long run times on high wattage flashlights as it is, after all, a low-temperature thermoplastic.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Very inventive! Never imagined I'd see a picture of a bottle of Instamorph (polycaprolactone) here! Great stuff ... but I fear that it might not stand up well for long run times on high wattage flashlights as it is, after all, a low-temperature thermoplastic.
Thanks. I agree it's fantastic stuff to try and think of uses for. As a diffuser it seems to hold up well actually. In use with my X7VN, which is 15,000 lumens in a rather minute frame, running turbo until the light is too hot to hold, I am just noticing the Instamorph beginning to turn clear a little bit around the edge of the bezel.
For the most hardcore lumen monster applications, I agree it's not best suited. However, 99% of lights won't get as hot as the X7VN and it passed my test for typical usage with this flashlight even to the extent of a few straight minutes of turbo. I think the liquid heat of the water penetrates more than the casual contact of the solid to sold, even if it is rather tight.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I agree it's fantastic stuff to try and think of uses for.

Yes indeed. I am doing the same ... most recently found that it's great for rebuilding screw holes in wood that have become too loose to hold the threads. I wrap the screw threads in a tiny wad of Instamorph and gently screw it into the hole while still warm. When the material cools it has become the ultimate threadlocker, as it conforms to every nook and cranny of the worn hole, effectively locking brand new threads in place. If I plan to ever remove the screw I coat it in a thin layer of oil or grease before applying the Instamorph.

Gotta say that the technique of using the rolling pin and warm pan is positively brilliant.

Never even knew about the stuff. By chance I found a package of Sugru at the hardware store (something else that I went crazy finding uses for) but it's expensive and has a limited shelf life even if you refrigerate it. It was compared by some with Instamorph in a message thread that I had read and then it sparked my interest. Here is the US it was even available at Radio Shack for a while.

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Yes indeed. I am doing the same ... most recently found that it's great for rebuilding screw holes in wood that have become too loose to hold the threads. I wrap the screw threads in a tiny wad of Instamorph and gently screw it into the hole while still warm. When the material cools it has become the ultimate threadlocker, as it conforms to every nook and cranny of the worn hole, effectively locking brand new threads in place. If I plan to ever remove the screw I coat it in a thin layer of oil or grease before applying the Instamorph.

Gotta say that the technique of using the rolling pin and warm pan is positively brilliant.

Never even knew about the stuff. By chance I found a package of Sugru at the hardware store (something else that I went crazy finding uses for) but it's expensive and has a limited shelf life even if you refrigerate it. It was compared by some with Instamorph in a message thread that I had read and then it sparked my interest. Here is the US it was even available at Radio Shack for a while.
I'm thinking roll out one big piece as thin as possible and let it dry. That way I can just trace out the diameter + 1/2" of any flashlights I want to diffuse, dip it real quick, without having to go through the whole process. If you have a lot of lights and want to make many diffusers then it might be a lot easier this way.

That's a really nice idea about making your own thread grooves.