Maximising S2 heat management.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Hey guys.
So the stuff to build my triple 219B-E S2+ has arrived *shudders with excitement*.
As its a triple with direct drive I imagine heat will be a problem, especially as heat sinking does seem to exists.
The copper spacer I have has been well machined and slots nicely into the top of the pill where the MCPCB would normally sit. Should I solder these two parts together or will thermal grease be ok? Also should I apply thermal grease to the threads of the pill or will this impede conductivity?

Off topic:
NVSL219B-E R85 D220, they are the LED's I've got, can't find anything on nichia's site about them, only info I have is '4500k CRI 92+' and that's from the sellers website. Google takes me the the BT-V1.

Thanks guys.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are able to solder the copper spacer & original pill together, that will be the best option for heat transfer.
But thermal paste will do the job as well, as long as they are compressed tightly together without any space in between.
For a light in the size of the S2+, we are really limited with things we can do for heat.
The logical way is to use the turbo under supervision; when it is too hot turn it down to a lower level or switch it off.

Btw when you say running it off direct drive, do you mean with a driver with DD capability or without a driver?

Oh, one other way is to look for someone to machine a proper triple COPPER pill for the S2+ & it should be slightly better than your current setup.
I remember seeing someone in a FB group that does that. But even so, the light will still heat up pretty fast due to the size.

Good luck with your build; S2 host are really great & easy to work with.

Thom2022

Enlightened
I'm in the uk so postage rules anything like from mtn out unfortunately.

Thom2022

Enlightened
All the bits were ordered from James and i did discuss the build with him but he mentioned nothing of a dedicated triple pill only the spacer for the original. I have soldered it to the pill now and it seems to be very securely attached with the small cavity between spacer and pill completely filled with solder. It's running from an A17DD FET+1 so I will mostly be using lower modes but I want the ability to use turbo in short stints if need be.