Military portable spotlight upgrade help!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hi,

I won a ?1970's/1980's? ex-military lamp on eBay and I'm looking for suggestions/ideas/comments/inspiration from the great minds at CPF on ways to upgrade it.

I've not found a lot of info about this lamp, the following is all I've managed to track down (from here):

Lamp uses a BA9s (mini? bayonet fitting) bulb in a holder with plastic shroud to center it in the reflector:

Aluminium reflector and lamp mount. Bezel and lamp head feel like aluminium:

The fitted bulb is a bit lack-luster; rated at 20W, it gives a very ringy beam pattern.

The cubic base is empty and a good size for a battery. I think with a decent LED this would make an awesome power-outage to be set on a shelf and provide directional flood.

Alternatively, I'm thinking I will fit an incan bulb (for simplicity) and wire it to the mains to run it as an interesting side light.

Current thoughts:

1) Although it's got a decent aluminium reflector and reasonably thick aluminium housing which should make a good heatsink I don't think I can justify the expense/difficulty in converting this into a multi-thousand lumen light, 500 is probably plenty?

2) The BA9s bulb seems to be an obscure type and I cannot find a 20W rated bulb anywhere, if possible I would like to upgrade to a bulb with better availability? There seem to be a few LED replacement types on eBay but I doubt the build quality is any good and I doubt they would last long with the lack of heat-sinking.

Willing to hear anyone's suggestions! Thanks!

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that the BA9 bulb holder is a bit of a limit. I am also wondering what kind of small Halogen bulb might work in there. Maybe decide what bulb you want and mod the bulb holder to match?

Is this meant to use a 12 volt battery?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Completely agree about the bulb limitation, mystified as to why the manufacturer chose this style. I think a ceramic bi-pin holder (G4 type or similar) would work if I can modify the mount.

Correct about the battery- originally it would have used a 12v 20Ah cell.