Airport Confiscation of Light?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Hi, I want to know is it safe to carry an expansive light as a carry-on? Has anyone ever lost their Arc, Surefire, StreamLight, etc...?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Many flights with many lights. No confiscations.

Precautions taken:

1) Homemade CPF "membership card": heat-sealed, official-looking and self-explanatory

2) Dealer page copies with photos of every light I take with me. For mods I copy any pic I can find and print up a convincing buy page.

I've been stopped only a very few times but the card answered all questions and a nice friendly attitude also helped; never had to use the pages.

Most Flashaholics are never stopped and my experiences were VERY infrequent. 99% of the time you'll be fine even without my "gimmicks". I do suggest, however, that you avoid taking the Tigerlight since even the FBOP's innards could alarm a suspicious inspector

Brightnorm

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take 3 lights when traveling and when queried about these lights , I simply turn them on and watch for their reactions. Last trip to Canada, Surefire L4, McLux PR 917, firefly, and a number of wow, those are cool lights, end of story.

paulr

Flashaholic
They usually look at my Arc LS pretty suspiciously til I tell them "it's a flashlight, push the button on the end".

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had any problems whatsoever. The only thing to know is that you cannot take loose batteries on a plane in Mexico. If you try they usually confiscate them. (Personally I still think they are flashoholics but maybe that's just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

-Mike

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xrunner is right! Beware of Mexico, I took my E1e-KL1 and E2e with me and when asked to see them I simply turn them on and hand it to them, no big deal.

But they sure are on the prey for loose batteries.

Alex

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't flown internationally with EDC in a long time, but on US flights, I have had no problems. I have carried my L4, a D2+ (D3) with the clickie, and a McLux.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just take a lot of extra lights and use them as "spares carriers" so your spares won't get confiscated.

-Keith

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Sorry for the duplicate thread, I did a search on "confiscation" and a number of threads found.

However, Mexico and battery is the first time it was mentioned.

I guest that I can't win... In Europe, battery is not allow in check-in luggage. In Mexico, they confiscate your battery in carry-on. Everywhere will give you a funny look if you carry more than one light and ask "why do you carry so many flashlight?"

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
CalgaryGuy-

I came back from London 2 weeks ago. No problems with a single loose 123 cell and a couple packs of AA's. These spare batteries were in my checked baggage and were for a TW4 and a digital camera both in my carry-on bag.

GregR

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I've taken my surefire Z3 combat light without any problems. Two round trip flights from San Diego to San Jose and back. They didn't even give it a second look. The light was in my backpack as a carry on bag.Good luck.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened
They check my ARC LS all the time and don't even blink at the the AAA with the Glow Ring on my key chain. Once I tell them it's a flashlight they put it back in my Briefcase.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
U.S. domestic flight I've carried the following in my carry on -- Surefire E2e+KL1, 6P, Arc AAA (x2), 8 loose CR123A cells, 4 loose AAA cells.

I didn't have any problems, placed the E2e in the change tray at the metal detector and was never asked about it... the only PITA was taking off my Wilderness belt in order to pass through the detector.

Tweek

Enlightened
I used to EDC a Streamlight Batonlight (3 leds, 3 N cells) until one flight they confiscated it, talking about I might use it as a weapon (well, it is fashioned after a ku-baton... P:) ), so I've switched to a PM6 while I wait for the VIP... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris

fuego

Newly Enlightened
I've had pocket knives,lighters,scissors confiscated but never had any problems with my SF 12ZM.I flew between the US and europe and South America.Also maybe 20+ domestic and international flights within Colombia and Ecuador.
Security wanted to look inside the battery compartment for explosives and other contaband.I always informed them that 123's were costing me over $10 apiece.Noone wanted to confiscate my light.

kaseri

Enlightened
I've traveled quite a bit in the last year mostly to europe and I've never had any issues with lights. I only carry one light when I travel though. Either my McLux PR-T 1x123 or an Arc LS.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I would limit it to small lights with your carry-ons. I doubt they'd do anything, but a 4D Mag might raise some eyebrows. The only time I was "looked at" was when I checked my TigerLight out of ORD. I was flagged for a checked baggage scan and they needed to take a look at the light after they noticed it on the monitor. The pepper spray in the light is well below the amount limited to check - and having it installed in the light actually constitutes a safety cap.

Here's the link to the list of prohibited items.

My briefcase is pretty much a nightmare for the scanners - laptop, 3 to 4 lights, GPS, 5 or 6 spare 123's. Actually my entire journey through the checkpoint pretty much sucks. The shoes and belt need to come off, the cell phone, etc... What a PITA...... I've flown standby with Delta for my whole life (30 something years). Just when they make it a little easier to non-rev by not making you wear a full-on suit, they crank up security.... Anyway, I'm rambling...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tweek said:
I used to EDC a Streamlight Batonlight (3 leds, 3 N cells) until one flight they confiscated it, talking about I might use it as a weapon (well, it is fashioned after a ku-baton... P:) ), so I've switched to a PM6 while I wait for the VIP... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure. A credit card would make a more dangerous weapon.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems flying to Germany last summer stopping at Oslo and Copenhagen along the way. Had an E2e, ARC LS and AAA on me.

Latest posts