Arc4: Boost Mode SAVES Power !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yes, you heard me right, Boost Mode SAVES Power.

How? Simple.
I have my Arc4+'s Primary set to level 3.
3 is plenty bright more most all applications, especially indoors.

This allows me to save a good bit of battery life. Why?
Because, I am a max brightness person most the time, and if I did not have boost mode, I would make my Primary Level 1.
So, now, I can set the main usage level down to 3, and still have level 1 if I want it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely! This is a paradigm shift made possible by more intelligent control. I was talking to Doug Ritter earlier today about the Arc4. I said, "The Arc4 is a light that is both dramatically brighter and much longer running. Not because it has a dramatically better LED but because we can better control the power level. THAT is a good reason for a microprocessor. Much better reason than some flashing mode, etc".

And it is not enought to just have the levels. You need the ability to get very quickly from the one you use most of the time to less important levels without any intermediate junk in the way.

I love it. This is an example of Force Multiplication.

Peter

BobG

Newly Enlightened
How right you are. I find myself alnost always using seconary brightness in the house, When it comes time to walk the dog I simply double click to primary at level 3 and still have boost if and when I need it. I still love my Lsh-p (whitest LED I've ever seen), but I would go through a battery a week. My Arc4 is still on the original battery two weeks after becomming my EDC AND dog walking light.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
I've had mine since Sat morning AND still am on the first 123...

My primary is set at 5 and secondary at 10. I usually triple click before retiring at night so in case I need to get out of bed I still have my night vision. Nice thing is boost is always available.

I was using my LSH-P this way for the longest time and cupping my hands over the light to reduce output! Talk about waste!

The ARC AAA became the choice for bedside but didn't help if you needed more light to check something out.

These features not only save power, but space since you don't need to have all these other lights on your person. It's always good to carry a backup. An ARC 4+ would make a good backup light even with its locator beacon on!

Cheers!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Primary = Level 4.
Secondary = Level 7.

I've found this to be the best combonation for me, however your results may vary. Between these readily available levels + dim-mode (Level-16), I never need to change from these settings.

Bucky

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to Doug Ritter earlier today about the Arc4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug Ritter and his site equipped.org are a class act. I first found his site about five or six years ago when I was searching for a better flashlight than Mag-Lites. I knew that someone out there made a better light and eventually I found SureFire and ordered a 9P. His site also got me hooked on knives and I bought my first real knife, a Benchmade 705, after researching his site and taking his advice. I also first discovered the Sebenza there after seeing the one that Doug carries. For the longest time I thought I would never spend $300, or even a third of that, on a knife. Now a Sebenza is my EDC.

I still love to visit his site although it doesn't seem to get updated very often. One of my very favorite annual events is Doug's posting of his SHOT Show review. As soon as the show concludes I check his site several times a day waiting for a review of all the new lights, knives, and multi-tools.

I am sure Doug appreciates the Arc4 as much as the rest of us. I ordered my Arc4+ second last night and can't wait to get it. Having the option of many levels of light should make for the best EDC ever.

Many kudos to both Doug and Peter,

Bucky

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always changing the levels. I really like level 16 in the house at night. I usually like primary at level 3 and secondary at level 7 or 9. Sometimes I set primary at 1 and secondary at 4 or 5.

Great light, er...tool Peter!

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Bucky,

Yep, Doug is a class act and his site is an outstanding example of unbiased reporting and product reviews. If a product is great, he tells you so, if it "has warts" he'll tell it like it is. Actually, my understanding is that on more than one ocassion, Dougs reviews have actually been a/the driving force in making some sorely needed corrections to various types of gear.

Having met Doug at SS2003, I am impressed with him as a person as well as a writer. <wry grin> Sadly, SS2004 is out of the que$ion for me this year.

Hmmm...regarding the slow updates on ETS, Doug just updated it in the last week. Go check it out. Also, for those that have not been there yet, check out the survival forum discussion pages. Use the search function and reset the default search to all dates and all threads to get the best results. He has reviews on ARC's and other fine equipment.

Peter: Will Doug be performing ARC 4 product reviews?

Regards,
Lighthouse

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have mine set on 4 and 7 as well. I use 7 for most of everything I do (seems almost the same as the LSH-std, but i could be wrong). I triple click to check the kids at night and for roaming around at night. I use boost for the throw and when I really need the light. Very intuitive and useful.

I keep mine in semi-tact mode which I'm thinking I really like more and more. But I think just straight up with an easy lock function would be the ticket.

J

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I tried many levels for primary and secondary at first. I finally wound up EXACTLY where T_I_N is. Level 4 primary and level 7 secondary. Gives four very easy to get to brightness levels and a battery that lasts forever.

I also must use semi-tactical mode because the light comes on by itself FAR to often. I am very much looking forward to the switch guard.

jbk

Moat

Enlightened
These real world descriptions of you folks actually using your lights is the most convincing info I've heard yet, on why I'm gonna have to own an Arc4 (someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ).

Bob

Byron Walter

Enlightened
I'm at 4 & 9 and use level 16 in home at night. I'm surprised how good the lowest setting is for stumbling around in the dark.

jtice

Flashaholic
When you first get your Arc4, and turn on level 16 in a room with ambiant light, your not impressed.
You cant see how that little bit of light will ever be useful to you.

How wrong you are. I knew I would end up using it a good bit at night, becuase I had the previous experience with my Arc AAA and AA.

Lay down at night for about 10 minutes. Then grab the Arc4, and turn on level 16. BAM !
Its plenty of light to see by at night.
And with the Arc4s PERFECT beam patern, its sooooo useful.

Cant say enough about this light Peter, thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks.

83Venture

Enlightened
I also have mine set to 4 and 7. I was very suprised at how much I like 16 around the house at night since the info I saw said it was dimmer that the ARC AAA. Mine has not turned on by itself yet so I don't have semi-tac on. Nice to have as an option if it starts happening.

Harrkev

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:Hopefully, we get a good review...

[/ QUOTE ]

And hopefully water is wet.

Come on! OF COURSE you will get a good review. Anybody who knows anything about lights is going to rave about yours.

The ONLY down side that I know of is:
1) Sticker shock (it IS pricey)
2) Luddites may find it intimidating (it IS more complicated than other lights).

I am still shocked that the motorcycle magazine gave the mini-mag such good reviews, though. Some people just never learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.