Inova X1, XS, and XP changes for 2017

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova X1, XS, and XP emit a more focused beam and throw farther than other lights in the same classes. That may change this year.

According to the Nite-Ize web site, the newest versions of the Inova X1, XS, and XP LED flashlights have increased total brightness (lumen count), but decreased throw compared to the previous versions.

The X1 and XS will finally come equipped with a pocket clip.

1AA: X1 will be 125/12 lumens to 57 meters vs. 80/11 lumens to 77 meters

1AAA: XS will be 110/12 lumens to 42 meters vs. 53/6 lumens to 58 meters

2AAA: XP will be 180/40 lumens to 52 meters vs. 144/30 lumens to 76 meters

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up , I love the throw ratio of my inovas and funnily enough was wondering when they would ' upgrade' and loose throw, and here we are, probably decreased runtime too? In some cases.
Its both good and bad, but I like more throw on lower powered models, my xs is a beast ;) 110 lumens is not needed with the shorter runtime its not as useful ?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up , I love the throw ratio of my inovas ...

Yes, it was the throw-to-brightness ratio that distinguished the inova X-series from my other lights of the same class. It was a mixed blessing, as you noted.

Inova's 2AA X2 model will get a pocket clip and increased brightness, too.

The monster Inova T10R rechargeable light is claimed to emit 3,500 lumens with a 511 meter throw: http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-T10R-Rechargeable-Tactical-LED-Flashlight.asp

The Inova flashlight web page starts here: http://www.niteize.com/collection/INOVA-Performance-LED-Flashlights.asp

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha that t10s a beast. I see theres a couple of new headlamps, an sts upgrade which I am interested in, I have a 140 lumen sts headlamp in my car, its a great feature packed but cheap lamp.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Absolutely buying the new x1. Finally has a clip. That's what I wanted most on it.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The addition of a clip is welcome.

I bought an XS, but never carried it because of having to twist the head to keep it on after releasing the tail switch. That light just sits unused.

I do like the momentary option.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a new version X1 and it is slightly longer than the older versions.

The most surprising aspect of the new Inova X1 is that it has a forward clicky switch on the tail cap. However, my switch requires so much force that I need to hold the light in one hand while pressing down on the rubber covered boot with much force before it clicks.

The tail cap can still be used as a "twisty" like older versions of the X1 if you keep the switch latched on. Momentary action using the new switch requires about the same amount of force as the older version, but there is more "travel" in the pushbutton so the new version is slightly easier to use in momentary mode.

Gone is the lanyard hole in the tail cap.

According to the instruction sheet, the new versions of the XS, X2, and XP will have the same type of clicky switch.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can it not have a lanyard hole?

I suppose that the new clicky switch inside the tail cap left no room for the traditional Inova lanyard hole.

While the threads are the same as the older X1, the older tail cap will not activate the light when fitted on the new X1 body. The new tail cap contains a helical spring which projects beyond the cap.

I get just over 2 hours of decent brightness in the high mode when using an Eneloop Pro battery. At that point, the battery voltage drops below 1.0 volts.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like theve bodged together the tail, disappointing. It needs a nice protruding rubber boot like every other light for the click to work well.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to buy into the XS a few years ago and got them for myself of course and a bunch of others as well.
Every single one of them just died within 6 months for no obvious reason at all,I got them at REI and was able to exchange the dead ones for new and then they just turned into additional dead ones?

I love the light but obviously do not trust them anymore at all.

The Clip also sounds like a good idea but then it just looks like every other stupid snap-off clip out there when they could have actually engineered something different and better.

No Thanks.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to buy into the XS a few years ago and got them for myself of course and a bunch of others as well.
Every single one of them just died within 6 months for no obvious reason at all,I got them at REI and was able to exchange the dead ones for new and then they just turned into additional dead ones?

I love the light but obviously do not trust them anymore at all.

The Clip also sounds like a good idea but then it just looks like every other stupid snap-off clip out there when they could have actually engineered something different and better.

No Thanks.

None of mine have failed, one of them took some abuse to the point that a lot of the anodizing wore off but it probably didn't see all that much run time total,still works fine. What batteries did you use?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of mine have failed, one of them took some abuse to the point that a lot of the anodizing wore off but it probably didn't see all that much run time total,still works fine. What batteries did you use?

Eneloops and L91 mostly but a few leakers too but leaking was not an issue I think the switches all just crapped out in the end?
I loved the lights too until they expired.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the T1 and the "white" X5 have been discontinued.

That is a shame. The T1 has always been a favorite of mine I used the original and my "2008" models for a quite a while even when they were superseded by better performing lights. I never bought the latest versions because of the 2 mode switch and a personal preference for neutral tints but I may try to grab one while they are still available.

The X5 is pretty dated so it makes sense since other lights easily surpass the performance with better quality light than the 5MM cluster can provide. What a great light though!

I like the XP the best of the new models. The stiff clicky might work better on a longer light but I am not sure if I like the loss of throw for more output. I thought that the ability of these small lights to throw fairly well set them apart from the crowd a little.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops and L91 mostly but a few leakers too but leaking was not an issue I think the switches all just crapped out in the end?
I loved the lights too until they expired.

Eneloops and leakers would not be a problem voltage wise and it seems unlikely the L91s would be a problem even though they produce a bit more than the alkalines. The momentary on the XS was never that great but it is surprising that all yours failed completely. I would have expected the switch to still work as a twisty at least.On the old X1 the +contact plunger would stick sometimes but the plunger on the XS is different and I don't know if that could be a problem or not.