Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Does anyone know when the Aviators are supposed to be released? I want an few of them...:sick2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

It seems that MidwayUSA is shipping the Blue and Y/G now. Red is back ordered and Amber is not an option.

Optics planet has them too, but with a non shrouded tail cap. Z61? They are not shipping yet.

Does anyone here have a new aviator yet?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire just posted them on their website for $289.59...

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Website has a typo:
Says 1.5 lumens for 20 hours on low, but the paragraphs below state 5 lumens for 20 hours.

Still, the LED used (whatever it is) seems less efficient than the E1D and E1B LEDs that allow 37 hours for low mode.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I called Optics Planet yesterday afternoon. He told me their version (z61 tail cap) will be shipping next week. They have Amber and red, supposedly.

kj2

Flashaholic

Glad SF released this light​. Now it's waiting for them to pop up at the SF dealer here or at eBay.

tom-

Enlightened

What is the attraction to this light-not judgemental simply wondering.

Yes, with the original A2 Aviator as well as other Surefire flashlights, I did not think much about it at the time; I realize now my attraction to this light was that it was a work of art. Also, at the time, 60 lumens was considered enough light to temporarily disorient an assailant, at least that was the motto. With the A2 Aviator, the 50 lumens high beam seemed like a lot of punch.

I just took the plunge and ordered a Surefire(TM) AVIATOR-AM Aviator® ​084871326278 from their website. I will keep everyone posted on this thread by taking photos and "beamshots" as best as I can with my iPad Mini 2's camera.

altermann

Enlightened

Saw this model during exhibition, AMBER - nice color, interesting how usable it will be in the dark..
One my friend told me he love walking through the night forest with blue led flashlight, and all the ordinary things become like from other planet in blue light.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope this isn't too OT. I think it is really interesting that Surefire adopted the E1e body for the new l'il Aviators, and that they are sold with either z61 or z68 tailcaps... and Aviator is now E-series compatible. But is no one else lamenting the A2/LX2 dual stage tailcaps, with instant access to both spectrums? I didn't see it as an issue at all with the V1 Vampire, but it seems they made the new Aviator interface quite a bit less accessable with having to (is it pull &) twist the head? I'll be keeping my incan A2, and picking up at least a couple more... but I'll likely only go after a single new Aviator (prolly red, though the amber is lovely, I think red will better suit my purposes).

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I went ahead an ordered an Amber one. I have no good reason to get one, just another one to add to the lot. The goinggear/Surefire video states that the Amber is good for smoke. Perhaps for firefighters.

Amber might also be good for fog, snow, and inclement weather. Just a guess.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast

The real question is, is the beam cleaner then on it's V1 vampire brother? I bought a V1 vampire, but returned it because of all the artifacts and rings in the beam! They are great looking lights!

That is a great question and important concern to address.:buddies: To me, the white beam looks pretty clean. Please see 2 more photos below, first is low mode, second is high mode:

upload an image

upload an image

The real question is, is the beam cleaner then on it's V1 vampire brother? I bought a V1 vampire, but returned it because of all the artifacts and rings in the beam! They are great looking lights!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is probably the only new SF that has caught my interest... so far.

Can it run on 16340 (3.7v)?

Knowing SureFire(R), it may affect the warranty in case something goes wrong. However, I did wonder about RCR myself. This is a question for SureFire's Customer Service or for Master Nguyen(TM). Great question I think!:buddies:

This is probably the only new SF that has caught my interest... so far.

Can it run on 16340 (3.7v)?