Multi-Nichia Light recommendation

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in trying out a nichia light and have already ordered an astrolux a01 for EDC. I'm pretty sure that I'll like it and am already trying to plan for a multi emitter nichia light for more output.

I'm looking at the Manker e14 and I really like it, but I feel like the turbo is overkill especially given the lack of thermal regulation. I'm considering buying it and swapping the driver for something with a more reasonable turbo mode (perhaps one that wouldn't trip the protection circuit on protected cells?) and thermal regulation. Can someone recommend a driver that would be suitable for this purpose? (please keep in mind that I've never done a driver swap, so I don't know anything about flashing firmware or the like, but I am pretty handy and feel confident about soldering a couple of wires.)

The other option that I've been considering is buying a convoy s2+ (http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_232308.html) and swapping out the emitter for a triple nichia with optics (http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026302....ter-with-20mm-x-1mm-DTP-Copper-MCPCB-w-optics).

I'm wanting something with decent output and run time on high(will use 18650 tube with e14), and a bright but not ridiculous turbo for special occasions. I also want to be comfortable letting someone else use the light (which is part of why the e14 with stock driver doesn't work).

Please help me figure out a cost effective way to make sunset happen again at midnight!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E14 is a great start. I would recommend the MTN-17DDm and if you order it with Bistro firmware you will get temperture control. Since this driver has over discharge protection built in you should run it with a cell without a protection circuit. You will get more output without the risk. It is available from Mountain Electronics.

The Kaidomain suggestion is also good. I would recommend the same driver again. You will also need a space to fit the triple in the host desgined for a single. You can get this space also from Mountain Electronics.

If you really want to go the DIY route we can offer a complete build list to get you started. Pick a host.

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
Since this driver has over discharge protection built in you should run it with a cell without a protection circuit. You will get more output without the risk.

So would I still want to use IMR cells then?

Could you recommend both an 18350 cell and an 18650 cell that don't break the bank? Also, where do you recommend buying them? I'm in California (for shipping purposes). I've looked at buying 18650's before but haven't ever pulled the trigger because I'm worried about getting re-wraps or something.

Thanks for the quick reply!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For multi-Nichia on a budget, there are also the Sportac triple drop-ins. They cost around $35, but put out a wall of light. Get yourself a cheap Solarforce host and you have one HELL of a light. I wish I could specifically recommend the warm 4000K 219C Sportac, as it has a beautiful tint. But I can't until problems are resolved. Until then, the standard 4500K is pretty nice, and has no issues.

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
For multi-Nichia on a budget, there are also the Sportac triple drop-ins. They cost around $35, but put out a wall of light. Get yourself a cheap Solarforce host and you have one HELL of a light. I wish I could specifically recommend the warm 4000K 219C Sportac, as it has a beautiful tint. But I can't until problems are resolved. Until then, the standard 4500K is pretty nice, and has no issues.

I really considered doing this, but I'm pretty sold on the idea of 4000K. I may try that in the future.

on a side note, I can't seem to find anything but 5000K drop-ins. Where can I find 4500K?

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
Is there any reason to favor the s2+ vs the e14?

Also, any battery recommendations for the e14 and where to get them? Thanks.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E14 is a tiny bit larger (get the 18650 tube) and has a copper head. This means it will handle a bit more heat and will stay on turbo longer.

FYI the stock Nichia in the E14 is 5000k and the MCPCB is custom fit for it so it will mean you need to reflow your own to change it. The S2+ you can customize any triple on MTN to your liking and stick it in there.

As for cells the latest and greatest is the Sony VTC6. Next is the older Samsung 30Q or the LG HG2. Even older is the LG HE2/HE4. Anything other than these cells really limits a quad or triple. Older is cheaper and newer is more capacity. Pick your poison. Get your cells from MTNelectronics or Illumn

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
The E14 is a tiny bit larger (get the 18650 tube) and has a copper head. This means it will handle a bit more heat and will stay on turbo longer.

FYI the stock Nichia in the E14 is 5000k and the MCPCB is custom fit for it so it will mean you need to reflow your own to change it. The S2+ you can customize any triple on MTN to your liking and stick it in there.

As for cells the latest and greatest is the Sony VTC6. Next is the older Samsung 30Q or the LG HG2. Even older is the LG HE2/HE4. Anything other than these cells really limits a quad or triple. Older is cheaper and newer is more capacity. Pick your poison. Get your cells from MTNelectronics or Illumn

Thanks so much for your help.

I've seen manker e14's claimed to have nichia 219C @ 4000K. (http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e14-cree-xp-g3-nichia-219b-led-nichia-219c-led/)(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5FKETH/?tag=cpf0b6-20)

Are these possibly errors in the listings for these lights? That would be nice to find out before I buy them:eek:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah I was not aware of the 219C option. I cannot speak on that. I can, however, confirm that the 219B 5000k is accurate.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Don't count out the Eagletac MX25L3C for sale at Going Gear for 79.99
I got one of those from Going Gear for 79.99. that is a really good deal. However it didn't work and I sent it back. I've thought about trying my luck again on that deal, but I'm not really in a hurry.

I know this is outside the parameters of the OP, but the Manker MK34 is tempting with 12X Nichia 219b or c. I'm still not sure the quality of the tint from Manker for that light.

I do have the Manker E14 in both Nichia and XPG, and I have to agree that without the Bistro firmware, it is not a light I would ever want to lend out,, let alone having to use it for myself. Really great for the money though.

I'd say Efest IMR16340 and Samsung 30q, or LG HG2 18650s. These cells are extremely easy to come by and you can get from many volume sellers on Ebay, or pick up from your online retailor of choice. Good thing about Ebay if ordering different kinds of cells.... you can find the bulk seller with best price for the 30q, and find the seller with best price for IMR16340 and just buy once while getting best price. Your single retailor may have a decent price for one and a very high price for the other cell.

Last edited:

RollerBoySE

Enlightened

Sledgestone

Newly Enlightened
Never heard of a Sportac triple Nichia 4000k or 4500k.. Can anyone shed some light on where to find them?

ven

Flashaholic
Not sure, think the IG ones are specifically for them(maybe a custom order/batch) as not seen them anywhere else. My 219b iirc is advertised as 5000k of which it is certainly not. It is the 4500k 219b if not a little on the warmer side. That is UK though at flashaholics.............the 2 mode is out of stock after my issue with the dirty white CT /tint of the 219b. Some mix up as not sure what LED's were in it, not a 219c either. Not cold enough for the xp-g2 version as well.

Thom2022

Enlightened
my recommendation would be a convoy S2+ with nichia 219b's I've just built one and holy crap! Colour rendition is superb, light output is incredibly even and on direct drive the output is blisteringly bright.
Mine cost around $50 to build (£38) and is worth every penny.

lavaglow

Newly Enlightened
my recommendation would be a convoy S2+ with nichia 219b's I've just built one and holy crap! Colour rendition is superb, light output is incredibly even and on direct drive the output is blisteringly bright.
Mine cost around $50 to build (£38) and is worth every penny.

:whistle:
Would you be willing to share your parts list?

Thom2022

Enlightened
Convoy S2+, 20mm noctigon triple MCPCB, triple copper spacer, BLF A17DD FET+1 driver, carlco triple optic.

Latest posts