ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

Default Re: Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

Much appreciated!

Does it feel much smaller? In the hand? In the pocket?

That would be a nice benefit in my opinion.

I have both. The Boss definitely feels a lot smaller in my pocket, and I really appreciate that. In the hand, only slightly, and I honestly like the grip of the Okluma more. The Boss feels kind of slippery because of the anodizing, but the knurling on the Okluma is perfect.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Default Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

Great feedback. I guess I'll need to try it out.

I've been having fun stripping anodized lights lately. I'm sure something fun could be done to a boss, but $400+. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I have both. The Boss definitely feels a lot smaller in my pocket, and I really appreciate that. In the hand, only slightly, and I honestly like the grip of the Okluma more. The Boss feels kind of slippery because of the anodizing, but the knurling on the Okluma is perfect.
    So overall what's the verdict, Theodore? Which one gets the vote when you are just to bring one?

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I've been having fun stripping anodized lights lately. I'm sure something fun could be done to a boss, but $400+. Ouch.
    Interested to know how do you strip them? Any particular product like paint stripper? PLS don't do it to your Boss LOL!!

I use drano. I've been using the gel lately with a toothbrush. Seems to be more controlled than liquid.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602387.950690.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602403.273967.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    Only if you have the H17f driver in it. Stock driver I don't believe you can program.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I use drano. I've been using the gel lately with a toothbrush. Seems to be more controlled than liquid.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602387.950690.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602403.273967.jpg
    Beautifully done Gunga... thanks btw.

Default Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

Thanks! Note, the lights need some fine sanding and some polishing to clean them up after stripping.

With some effort you can get a high polish but I didn't want that look.

Also, you need to clean the lights off and remove from the drano soon after you get the desired look. If you leave it too long it will pit the aluminum!

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    So overall what's the verdict, Theodore? Which one gets the vote when you are just to bring one?

Interested to know how do you strip them? Any particular product like paint stripper? PLS don't do it to your Boss LOL!!
    Haha for now it's the BOSS 35, but that's probably because it has that "newness" factor to it. Time will tell lol
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

I don't know how you guys can walk around or sit with these size lights in your pocket. I love my TinyDC and Boss 70 but I can barely stand a AAA sized light in my pocket. But... I only wear ultra tight designer jeans so that could be the issue.

After spending all this money on lights, I have nothing left for clothes. Good thing sweat pants are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    I don't know how you guys can walk around or sit with these size lights in your pocket. I love my TinyDC and Boss 70 but I can barely stand a AAA sized light in my pocket. But... I only wear ultra tight designer jeans so that could be the issue.
    Why are you assuming we keep it in pockets? I just hold and fidget with them, saves me money from buying spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Haha for now it's the BOSS 35, but that's probably because it has that "newness" factor to it. Time will tell lol
    Well, it's been a little more than a week now. I ended up carrying neither of them and going with my HDS Executive. Something about the HDS is just very appealing to me; I can drop it and not have to freak out over the little dents. If I did that with the BOSS or Okluma, I'm sure I'd kyms on the spot!

Im carrying my Boss 70 for the first time ever today. I'll carry my TinyDC tomorrow. I'm able to do this because I broke down and bought some pants that don't need help putting on. I've never felt so free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Why are you assuming we keep it in pockets? I just hold and fidget with them, saves me money from buying spinners.
    That's smart.... I do that at work sometimes. Whenever the boss catches me I hit him with the strobe and he goes away.

My Okluma is my EDC and I don't baby it, it is scratched up and I don't mind. Gonna take it to the pool later as well. The first scratch is the hardest after that it's in my pocket at all times.
    I do plan on buying an HDS down the road for the UI and the bombproof make.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    My Okluma is my EDC and I don't baby it, it is scratched up and I don't mind. Gonna take it to the pool later as well. The first scratch is the hardest after that it's in my pocket at all times.
    I do plan on buying an HDS down the road for the UI and the bombproof make.
    I tend to baby my lights too much, but I think you have the right philosophy. Lights are made to be used... even custom lights, and when they acquire the inevitable carry marks then that just gives them more character.

I'm excited about carrying my TinyDC going forward... now that I have decent pants ;-). I'm never ever going to sell it so who cares if it has a few swirls. Plus now I'll be able to show it off to my regular lunch crew instead of just talking about it everyday until someone changes the subject.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123