What is going on here!?!?!?

Thom2022

Enlightened
Hey guys. Having some weirdness happen with my S2 triple.
It's got an A17dd set to 7 mode.
When on in ML-mid2 all works fine. If left in Hi1/2 for anything over 2-3 minutes or when on turbo for 20-30 second stuff goes crazy.
ALL clicks be them long or short cycle down meaning I can either have ML turbo or the hidden modes. Not very useful. Leave the light off for 2-3 minutes and everything works as normal. The light does get warm but it's never at the point of being uncomfortable to hold even at the head. When on turbo its drawing 7.5-8A with nichia's and 9-10A with xpg2's. I have 2 pills one for each led type, MCPCB is soldered to the copper spacer and that in turn is soldered to the pill in both cases. Is my issue driver overheating or is it switch related as from my reading the switch is only rated to 3A.
It's got me completely baffled.
Thanks guys

thslw8jg

Enlightened
This is an issue with the driver heating up and not responding. The original driver can be upgraded with a driver from mountain electronics which uses better quality components and also has the same UI, request the BLF A6 firmware for a timed step down or a BLF x6 driver for thermal step down management.

Last edited:

Thom2022

Enlightened
I am in the uk. So no buying from mtn. I already have an uprooted driver as said in OP. It's the A17DD FET+1 from 3tronics.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driver issue for sure. If bought from mtn and I'm in the uk ?

ven

Flashaholic
Sounds like the driver is getting too hot, try and maybe use small thermal cubes to help out. The driver iirc can have a temp sensor but tricky due to size(to step down). So what ever the temp, the driver has set(maybe 60 or 80oC as an example). So it is probably strobing or shutting off to protect itself.

Better heat sinking, so thermal cubes and either way, anything much over 2000/2500lm in such a small host is only good for 30 or 40s due to heat.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Where do thermal cubes go though? Also the thing that I still don't get is how is the driver overheating before the head of the light is too hot to touch? Also up until the S2 my other lights have been integrated head lights. Is there anyway of improving thermal conductivity between pill and body?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
As near as I can tell the 3tronics version is the same exact version as originally installed in the BLF A6 with the same cheap components. There is a known error with these drivers where the off time capacitor being used in it is of cheap quality and does not stand up to heat very well. The off time capacitor's purpose is mode switching which is exactly the problem you seem to be having.

This was corrected in the Mountain Electronics version by using higher quality components.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Ah ok. That makes a great deal of sense. I will have a look at mountain electronics then.

Latest posts