Buying Gold

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of putting some cash into gold, and I came up with a couple of questions.
1. How and where can I do this without paying for "workmanship"? I just want to get the best gold value without buying fancy jewlery, or expensive coins.
2. Anyone know why the US Mint charges a mark up on money? I figured at the mint you could get fair exchange.

Thanks

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my dad and uncle buys it if there home today ill call them but maybe they jusy buy them coins now. i just like holding them for a bit

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Hi Bravo,

If you are planning to buy bars or eagles, there is a nominal numismatic charge added per unit. The real problem is the buy-back rate which is about 5% lower than the spot-price of gold per oz. Not an issue if you consider this a long-term investment.

You can find more info from companies like Dillon-Gage (www.dillongage.com), or Kitco (www.kitco.com) about rates and types of metals available as coins or bullion. Dillon-Gage is located in Texas, Kitco in Canada. The sites are good for quick research, but unless you plan to order a lot, shipping starts high and gets higher.

I keep gold Maple leads and Eagles, but the cost per ounce on 1 and 5 oz ingots are lower than coins.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
bravo are you watching the history chanel?there talking about gold now

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo,

You should really look into Gold Eagles. They come in 1 oz, 1/2 oz 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz, and they are guaranteed by the US treasury. It's the way to go, IMHO.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Look under numismatic in your yellow pages. js mentioned Gold Eagles already but they are not as "pure" quality gold as the Canadian Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf is a 9999 fine gold 1oz coin, I think it is as "Pure" of gold as you can buy at 99.99% and it looks amazing.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to buy gold, ( & platinum and silver) that I have found:

Make friends with the owner of a Pawn Shop that buys precious metals. They pay significantly under spot price. And if you can catch them at just the right time, you can get it at spot. Saves a bunch of money.

I used to buy it at a major bank's precious metals outlet in a major city, figuring that fraud was less likely and that they did enough volume to offer a good deal, but it turned out that I was paying more there than at a coin shop that dealt in bullion as well as numistmatic collectors items.

Then I got to be friends with a pawn shop owner, and got great deals.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
Look under numismatic in your yellow pages. js mentioned Gold Eagles already but they are not as "pure" quality gold as the Canadian Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf is a 9999 fine gold 1oz coin, I think it is as "Pure" of gold as you can buy at 99.99% and it looks amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maple Leafs are pretty cool, I'll admit. It all depends on why you're buying gold in the first place. The maple leafs can never be circulated: they're too soft. If the monetary system crashes and an underground trade in gold and silver starts up, you're better off with US coins, and in any other case, Gold Eagles are as fungible as anything else or more so. They ARE bullion, and don't really have much numismatic value. You can find them on ebay, too, BTW, but there are some good sources on the web, and pawn shops can be good if you know your stuff when you walk in the door. Silver is probably a great investment at the moment, too, especially so called "junk" silver. In the past it was easy to get this stuff at 4 times face value. I don't know what it's doing at the moment.

When you hold a stack of silver dollars in your hand--the REAL dollar--then you know you have something, but what are these monopoly money papers we use? Only a token of debt. Ask the people in Argentina about paper money, or read what the Founding Fathers had to say about free printing and creation of money, backed by nothing. Every time the Fed "pumps money" into the economy, we are all getting robbed. All of us "little" guys, that is. Somehow people have this misty notion that inflation is the sign of a growing economy. Not so. Inflation means that the money supply is increasing even faster than the economy is growing. This is historically how governments have always paid for things like wars: by creating money out of nothing, out of debt. The money supply DOUBLED during either WW I or II, I can't remember which at the moment. This is a hidden form of taxation that is more potent than any other and more insidious. Soon, foreign investors and countries are going to stop taking our fake money for real goods ($40B per month) and the dollar will start to fall, and when that happens so many holders of US $ will be rushing to get something real that we will have unbelievable inflation and nothing the Fed can do will stop it. It's comming folks. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, but certainly within 20 years we are going to have a melt down and hard hard times. Reality can't be cheated. You can't solve anything by adding numbers to electronic bank accounts. You have to actually MAKE something. You have to actually DO something useful.

OK. OK. I'm cutting myself off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Sorry.

stockwiz

Enlightened
anywhere you can get it at the cheapest price above spot is the easy answer. Ebay works too... depends on how much you are spending. Me personally I have a portion of my assets in physical silver (bought when silver was at 4.50, but ended up paying around $5 an ounce because I wanted smaller 1, 10, and 100 ounce bars .. got a lot of wall street mint bars from dillongage) because I believe the upside percentage potential to be much higher then gold, but both will serve their purpose as being a hedge against the decline of the US dollar relative to other world currencies (not necessarily an inflation hedge)

The real bull market in commodities hasn't started yet, it's all been a response to the weakening dollar, but I expect a real bull market in commodities and a real bear market in paper assets to make itself shown over the next 1 or 2 years, once we sort out this stock market bubble we are getting into again as a result of all this debt creation. Our currency is a fractional reserve currency, based entirely from debt. The only thing giving it value is perception. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you have the amount of debt this nation as a whole has right now, it is a bad thing. If people ever stop creating debt and trying to pay it off instead, it will cause the economy to grind to a standstill.

I got a great price at www.cheapergold.com on silver 90% coin bags .. ended up paying spot at the time which was around 5.15. You could check that site for the latest prices as well. Taking a quick look now shows me that you can buy South African Krugerrands 1 oz for $418.. only $7 or so above spot.

Oh, and always take delivery on your metal, don't use a paper contract that claims your right to the metal.

Here are some sites for general research.

I want the world plus 5%
http://www.relfe.com/plus_5_.html

The US official federal debt:
http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdpenny.htm

economic data.. click on "outstanding credit market debt" to see how are total debt has ballooned from 20 trillion in 1997 to 34 trillion right now.
http://www.economagic.com/