L4 mod question

blademan

Enlightened
How much would it cost to have my KL4 modded with either a high dome 1 watt or 3 watt LS? I like the spill of the stock LS but would like a little more throw. Thanks for your help.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know about cost, but a modded KL4 will have more throw, but you will have less spill than the stock LS.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blademan,

The cost depends on the specific mod that you are looking for. What batt configuration did you want to run? Did you want to use rechargeables exclusively? Did you want to run it on an E1e body or on an E2e body or both. All methods have their pros and cons.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you change a 5W emitter to a 1W or LuxIII? I dunno, seems counter-intuitive to me to reduce the power. Perhaps a better idea would be to use a side-emitting 5W to better utilise the reflector? I'll be checking that idea out myself once I can get my hands on a good bin.

G Pilot

Enlightened
I did the SE (U3V) in a KL4, it gives off a HUGE flood...NO throw. I have a TWAK in my KL4 now, way better! I liked the SE, but I have other lights I use for flood. I juiced it up to 880ma thanks to Chop, he sent me some resistors and in 10 minutes I was ready to throw some photons, burn some retinas, light up the night.....you know what I'm saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the matter of less heat and more runtime when you throw a single die luxeon into the KL4. It's really tough to get any kind of throwing performance out of a 5W with a small reflector. I really didn't start to see good performance, throw wise, until I went up to a 2" reflector. Of course, you get even more throw with a single die lux.

blademan

Enlightened
Sorry about the delayed response.... I would still like to use an E1 and a E2. G Pilot: would you be interested in doing the mod for me or do you know of any one that could?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod is a piece of cake if you want to use Li-Ions exclusively. If you want to use 2x123's then it's more involved and you need to use a buck converter from dat2zip. I went balls to the walls and used the KL1 circuit so I could run it off 1,2 or 3 123's or 1 or 2 Li-Ions. More work but think of it as a juiced up KL1 in the body and reflector of the KL4.

CM

G Pilot

Enlightened
You don't wanna see my KL4 head........major scars on its' poor little head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif CM or Chop is the man to talk to. That is where I got the idea and tips from.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bladman, it's not a cheap mod if you want the KL1 option. You need a KL4 and a KL1. But, the extra cost is the difference between the cost of the KL1 and a converter from dat2zip. PM me if you want the grubby details.

CM