Action Light

MY

Enlightened
Does anybody have any info on the new HDS Action Light which was supposed to come out months ago. I was most impressed by the engineering and thought which went into the product. Unfortunately, the ergonomics of the light was not great given its general use nature. For a caving headlamp, I guess the design was great.

I think that the brightness and burn time combo is great. Unfortunately it takes an oddball D lithium battery.
confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my:
Does anybody have any info on the new HDS Action Light which was supposed to come out months ago. I was most impressed by the engineering and thought which went into the product. Unfortunately, the ergonomics of the light was not great given its general use nature. For a caving headlamp, I guess the design was great.

I think that the brightness and burn time combo is great. Unfortunately it takes an oddball D lithium battery.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was seriously hoping to try one of these, but they were so far backordered (as of last Summer) I don't know if I'll even be able to get an evaluation unit.

And then there's the battery... which costs more than many entire LED flashlights!
blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

it'll also work on a regular D! even on a rechargeable D! squirrely electronics is my studied opinion as to how (a voltage doubler I think) -- you just have to throw a piece of tin foil or something in the battery compartmentit to take up the little slack left... this is late, I know, I've been out of town...

caver

Newly Enlightened
I cave with a guy that has one. He loves it. Good brightness, great battery life, about 30-35 hrs. He wants to get another one, but, last I heard, HDS was have trouble getting parts to build them. No estimate on ship date
frown.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Caver,
which battery are you getting that 30-35 hour duration with? A 1 1/2 volt D alkaline or the lithium 3+ volt? I would expect longer than 35 hours with a new lithium..?

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
The action light designer "Henry" wanted me to post his reply since he not registered to CandlePowerForum. I have had a light on order as well. Not associated with him but am a "confessed flasholic". He has a great homepage chaulked full of technical design details etc. His email is listed below.
His reply is as follows:
George,

Please post the following response to the thread:
The original v1 power supply was designed to produce full output between 2.5V and 3.0V and had features tailored the lithium batteries, which the light was originally designed for - for instance, at 2.4V it automatically switches from High to Medium to conserve battery power as the battery starts dying, and the low power setting bypassed the power supply for higher reliability. The light was designed to produce useful amounts of light down to under 0.7V. The circuitry works great with two alkaline batteries but the automatic switch to medium happens sooner than you would like. Since most people I know use the light on the medium setting anyway, this
is not really much of a problem. The circuitry also works on a single alkaline battery although you can only get the medium
brightness to work (the voltage is too low to drive the Low setting and not high enough to drive the High setting).

As we expanded our offerings, the limitations of the original circuit became overwhelming and we designed the v2 circuit to eliminate these problems and add requested features. The new circuit and the battery contacts are now battery neutral and will produce full light between 2.5V and 4.5V, degrading gracefully down to 0.7V.

We did run into a problem getting one of the parts for the new power supply and that caused a massive delay. We think we now have a parts supplier and are laying out a new circuit board to accommodate the new part. Still, the backlog is now very large - we are estimating about 6 months once we get back into production. While we were
getting the part problem straightened out, we had to take other contract work and those commitments have slowed our progress. We
apologize for the long delay this has caused.

Henry.
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.hdssystems.com/" TARGET=_blank>
HDS ACTIONLIGHT HOME PAGE</A>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Orl:
Still, the backlog is now very large - we are estimating about 6 months once we get back into production<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, doesn't look like I'll be getting this product reviewed anytime in the forseeable future... I tried as far back as late last Spring to obtain an evaluation unit but the backlog of orders kinda put the flame out.
frown.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, George Orl.
smile.gif

Couldn't agree more about the website. I found it really interesting and informative. The light reads like it's really interesting too. Shame it has to be so expensive, but I guess that's life.

This seems to be a really well-thought out design, at the high-end, and I would really enjoy reading a review of it by an independent person.

Looking at the info, Henry seems to be a guy who understands the compulsions of those who seek illumination, so, could he loan out a review copy for a while ? Just the one, for 400 members to then read about and at least virtually test ?

He could maybe get the award for caving light of the year ......

Could you ask him about this, and also, is he going to register with CPForums at some time ? I think he would be welcome
smile.gif

Yours sincerely

Lite-Lover
blush.gif

MY

Enlightened
George Orl: Please ask "Henry" to pass along some details of the revised Action Light. While I thought that his light was well conceived, it was still designed primarily for cavers. Will the new design carry on the previous shape? As a general purpose light, the ergonomics could be improved. I was hoping that the light would be more of a barrel design if the single D lithium cell was to be used. I hope that a multi-level output control with a very, very bright overdrive setting will be offered. Any more details about the new light would be appreciated.
wink.gif

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
Lite-Lover:
Action Light is expensive, but I learned in life "you get what you pay for", at least most of the time. I wanted the best LED, and last summer researched it, and came up with HDS Action Light. I will encourage him to join the CPForums but think he is extremely busy with design and consulting. I will ask about a loaner for testing purposes.

My: I agree that a non-caver design (another shaped design) in addition to caver design may expand the market/sales for him. Henry of HDS, is very sharp and does understand the needs of fellow flasholics demonstrated by the detailed articles in his web site as well as talks I have had with him. I will ask about him about sharing details of revised light which we all are itching to learn. I'm confident the new design will be killer, utilizing state of the art components.
Anyone can email Henry directly (which is what I did) at:
[email protected]

George

George Orl

Newly Enlightened
Craig, Litelover & My:
"Henry" from the HDS action light company, wanted me to post his reply to your questions. His reply is as follows:
George,

The new design (v2) is discussed on the web site and represents a large step forward from the original v1 design. All the features are listed and how they work is talked about in the owners manual - all
of which in on the product web pages.

We have looked at other shapes and configurations, including retrofit
modules for the MagLight and Princeton Tec Solo and 20 models. Getting these out is a matter of resources.

Keeping up with forums is difficult due to the manpower needed. If there are specific questions, it is easier for us if you send us one e-mail directly and then post the answer.

There have been several reviews by non-caver publications, such as Practical Sailor by Doug Ritter (Equipped to Survive). When we get caught up with our production again, we will be happy to send out a loaner for review.
Henry

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The question still is how bright is it? How about some comparison to say Trek-7, Trek-14, or Trek-19.
smile.gif

verge

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Orl:
.........including retrofit
modules for the MagLight ........Getting these out is a matter of resources.
Henry
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A retrofit module for the Mag-Lite !!!
(Optimised for the 3D size, and also Mag-Charger compatible please)

Shoot, even if it doesn't actually work, I still want one. Put me on the list please, I'll start saving. If it's as interesting as the specification on the site, it should be worth it. Xmas beckons, so to speak.

Thanks, George Orl,

litelover
cool.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If anyone is interested, I have one of these things now, and will for the next few days or maybe a week. Then Brock will get a crack at it.

I'm still in the process of building the page, but there are a couple of photos available now at http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/hds.htm

When it gets dark, I'm going to try to shoot some comparison pics showing flowering plants. Since one of the selling points is accurate color rendition, let's see how it does against a mag lite.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
Anxiously awaiting further review info...

Great pix, btw. But then again, that's what we've come to expect from you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have more info posted, including important stuff regarding battery changing.
Although I doubt anyone technically-minded could botch this, other people can.
And hopefully they won't after visiting my site.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Also anxiously awaiting more of your HDS Action Light review.

You mentioned in your initial photo comparison;

"Notice how the Action Light shows me the foliage & blooms with better color than the Mag Lite."

Of course 3D-Maglite with incandescent bulb and yellow lightbeam will not show colors well.

How about comparing (photos) Action Light with Expedition 7, 14, and 19 as well as with LW4000, so we can have a good bearing of its lightbeam quality.

May I suggest battery runtime test and comparing lightbeams (Action Light, Expedition (TREK) 7, 14 & 19, LW4000) at distance of 10, 20, 40 feet from target subject to show size of lightbeam, lightbeam throw, and color defining quality.

I hope I'm not asking too much but this is such an opportunity to have a unbiased/independent review from a forum member and I also like to thank Ted (Pooh) for his generosity in loaning the light to you.

Finally we get to see a independent review and comparison photos of HDS Action Light against other LED lights.

- verge -

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2d_edge:
How about comparing (photos) Action Light with Expedition 7, 14, and 19 as well as with LW4000, so we can have a good bearing of its lightbeam quality.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beam quality/color is similar to that of the other multi-LED flashlights. The radiation pattern is similar, but the color may appear just a touch less bluer because it doesn't overdrive its LEDs whatsoever, not even on the 'high' setting.

You should also be aware that I strongly suspect this model uses Nichia 4,000mcd LEDs - which at the time it was made were the best available. So it isn't nearly as bright as today's model might be.
It might not be a fair comparision when tested alongside brand new Trek 7, 1400, and 1900 models because they use 9,000mcd LEDs and at least one of the three models also overdrives them by a substantial degree.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2d_edge:
May I suggest battery runtime test and comparing lightbeams (Action Light, Expedition (TREK) 7, 14 & 19, LW4000) at distance of 10, 20, 40 feet from target subject to show size of lightbeam, lightbeam throw, and color defining quality.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sample came with 1 lithium sulfer dioxide battery. They aren't available locally (not to mention they cost $20 + S&H when ordered on the net), plus I need to leave some power in it for the next guy down the line. So I will have to estimate battery power & runtime after taking electrical measurements.

For beam throw, I can do 10 feet (indoors only), but not 20 or 40. This is a smaller-than-average 1BR apt in the central core of downtown Seattle, and there's no place I can go out at night dark enough to set this test up without getting a gun to the temple or a knife in the belly.
So any comparision will necessarily be limited to a relatively short 10-15 foot range indoors. Maybe when Brock gets it, he will find Green Bay to be less of a high-crime area than downtown Seattle, and can do the longer-range testing.
shocked.gif

I don't think my camera is sensitive enough to pick up the beams beyond 10-15 feet anyway, but Brock's probably is.

Also, I no longer have the LW4000, as it was a loaner that has since been returned.
I don't think Brock has his anymore either.
I (we) can do the Trek models though.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you're asking considerably more than I am capable of doing.

To properly do all of these tests as you describe, the reviewer would need to be wealthy (to be able to burn off $70 worth of batteries) and live on a farm where city lights aren't an issue.
frown.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
The sample came with 1 lithium sulfer dioxide battery.... So I will have to estimate battery power & runtime after taking electrical measurements.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can believe that the manufacturers data are quite conservative. He head one Actionlight which worked for some 120 hours on 'normal'.
And the V1 'low' works almost infinite, it's just how you define 'on' or 'cell empty'. It will even produce some light after several 100s of hours. Actually I could give it a try, I have plenty of cells which are just as empty that the 'high' mode does not work (maybe drained for 90% or so).
I use to call this 'using an empty cell' mode: the incomplete darkness (as opposed to the complete darkness in caves).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
For beam throw, I can do 10 feet...

To properly do all of these tests as you describe, the reviewer would need to be wealthy (to be able to burn off $70 worth of batteries) and live on a farm where city lights aren't an issue.
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best thing is to try it in a cave .-)

And don't forget these LEDs are at least two generations back, they are probably less than 3cd.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

May I suggest battery runtime test and comparing lightbeams
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you compare runtime in between a regulated and unregulated lights?

Would you switch the ActionLight on high, after 6 hours to normal and after 30 more hours to low? Or what else?