How to read output voltage on variable

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
i want to use a variable voltage transformer to run some 12 volt led strips. All I see on the 'variable output ' is an adjustment slot. Is there any device I can use to read the amount of voltage. Excuse me if my terminology is incorrect, my knowledge on the subject is iffy at best.

• Output Type: Single
  • is_customized: Yes
  • Output Frequency: 50-60Hz
  • Output Current: 10A
  • Output Power: 101 - 200W
  • Output Voltage: DC18V
  • Model Number: S-180-18
  • Input Voltage: AC110V/220V
  • Input Voltage:: AC100+/-15%V/220+/-15%V
  • Input Frequency:: 47-63Hz
  • Under voltage protect:: 115-150%
  • Input voltage recovery:: Failback
  • Input Overvoltage Protection: 115-150%
  • Input overvoltage recovery: Failback
  • output voltage: DC18V
  • output Power: 180W
  • Size: 19.8*9.8*4.2CM
  • Function: Indoor Power Supply

TIA
Mike Lynch

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mike,

I googled the part number and found it on AliExpress. That is what we would call a power supply, not a transformer.

That particular one (like most units of this type) does not include a voltage readout, or an indicator dial on the adjustment, so you'd need to attach a meter to the output.

There are many types of meters you could use. One like this would be a good choice: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

If you wanted one you could leave with the unit, this would work: http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Panel-Meter-Snap-in-3-Digit-Red-30VDC/productinfo/33065+ME

Just a warning, many supplies like this have a limited adjustment range. For an 18V supply, you might only be able to adjust from 15V-19V. You should check the specs before investing. Unfortunately, AliExpress doesn't show detailed specs.

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
Thank you sir, I just ordered a pair of the inline meters. As for Ali Express, I wish I had spent the extra money to get a Meanwell from the US. But at least I was smart enough not to hook it up before coming here and asking about a meter.

Live and Learn

Thanks again
Mike