Looking for a new light in 2017

Tymko

Newly Enlightened
What a great community here - I've been a lurker for my tenure but now have a few questions..

I'm on the look out for a new flashlight. My current flashlight (Fenix UC40UE) has been fantastic for my needs and is in great shape... I've had an offer for it the other day and so it's put me in a position to upgrade to a newer light.

I'm looking for certain things from a light... they are:
  • Micro USB rechargeable port (for convinient charging)
  • Single 18650 cell
  • output and throw/spill similar to the UC40UE
  • Can stand on it's end to light up a room
  • profile similar or smaller than the UC40UE

Prior to the UC40UE, I used a P3D Premium Q5 which did a great job. It is important for me to be able to have a standing light as I typically illuminate a room with just the flashlight (when camping, or in bed).

Now, I don't have experience with different beam spillage and throw as you guys do, so I'm hoping you can help me narrow things down. (Suggestions are always welcome too!)

I'm currently looking at a Fenix TK20R as a replacement, as it fits two of my criteria..
How is the throw/spill? Will it illuminate a path for me while I'm walking in the dark? How is it compared to the UC40UE wrt to spill?

Also wrt the TK20R, is there ANY chance that it will stand on it's end? I see the click button protruding from pictures, though maybe someone here knows of a way to flatten it out?

Anyways, im also looking at a few other lights, but they each have some pitfalls for my use...
RC11 - doesn't have a micro USB port... means that i'd have to carry around a separate charger/batteries or it's proprietary magnetic charging cable
PD40R - uses a thicker battery which means the light itself is thicker (and won't fit in my bike mount)
UC30 and UC35 - charging ports are on the side which, to me, seems a little awkward... + they aren't that much newer than the UC40UE, correct?

If I cannot find a light that meets my needs, I'm perfectly OK sticking with a UC40UE though it would be nice to get something newer and maybe smaller....

Has anyone heard of Fenix releasing new lights this year that might fit my constraints? I've looked through the early 2017 catalog with nothing that stands out.

That being said... Any thoughts from you guys??

Tymko

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP the TK20R is a home run. It is one of Fenix new IP68 rated lights it is a tank of a light. Versus the UC40UE keep in mind that the UC40UE is a short range light with a big hot spot and bright spill it just doesnt throw very far. The TK20R has a bit more than twice the CD of the UC40UE hence you get a different beam profile. The TK20R puts out a medium range and utterly blinding beam profile with a hot spot half the size of that out of the UC40UE. The spill out of the TK20R is still quite bright and plenty useful. The TK20R also comes with a very nice Fenix 2900mah 18650 and for once from Fenix a very nice holster. As high quality a cell the 2900mah Fenix cell is I wound up putting a new 3500mah Orbtronic cell in it to get the most run time I can out of it. No there is no chance of tail standing with the TK20R. Fenix has said in the past that the reason most of their tail switch lights do not tail stand is that they consider switch access more important.

My copy of the TK20R showed up totally perfect from bezel to tail switch. It only has 4 output levels plus strobe but those output levels are very well spaced. The beam out of it is crisp bright as hell and well defined at every level. I do not know about further releases from Fenix for 2017. The big release most here are waiting for from Fenix is the TK61 replacement that is supposedly due any time. The TK20R is totally waterproof and dustproof the aluminum feels like its an eighth of an inch thick! One thing...if you buy the TK20R keep in mind to keep the tailcap screwed down as tight as it will go if you do not the light gets a bit glitchy. It is an IP68 rated light thus tolerances are super tight.

colight

Enlightened
Tymko, wrt the TK20R I agree with Celtic 100 percent. As far as I am concerned this is the best light by far from Fenix for a long time! About the RC11 though, I have to disagree with you, only in that although the light itself doesn't have a micro USB port, you will not need a separate charger. The included charging cable magnetically attaches to the charging port on the light, eliminating the need for a micro USB port or separate charger. It is however equipped with a micro USB terminal which allows two-way charging.

Tymko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks CelticCross74 and colight.

I'm bummed that fenix decided to put more emphasis on tail switches vs tail standing... Is there that much difference in functionality/feel of a tail switch button that protrudes a bit vs a flat button like the one found on the old P3D? I've never used a TK light so I honestly don't know. In any case, I wonder if it would be possible to swap out a button from an older light and swap it in to a TK20R. But then I guess it would also depend on how the bottom edge is shaped and if there even is a surface for the light to stand on (disregarding the issue of the click button).

And thanks for the tips and info CelticCross. I'll try to check out the TK20R first hand and see how it feels.. I'm considering also picking up a zebralight so the tailstanding may come off my list of prerequisites as this light would take care of that.

How do you guys feel about the TK20R UI? is it cumbersome to have to turn on the light via tailswitch and to switch hand positions to go through the different modes on the side button? The lights I've used have only had single buttons and I don't have a retail store near me to just go an try it out myself.

As for the charging of the RC11, I wasn't clear in my Original post... so sorry about the confusion colight.. I'll edit it in.. The cable itself is proprietary and significantly less common than a micro USB. I'm looking for convenience of cable availability. I tend to misplace cables and I have multiple packs that I carry with me, and each has a micro USB for my other devices (though to be honest, I'd love to have a usb-c plug instead of a micro usb as my primary devices have already transitioned.... but that may have to come in a future light). My point is, whether I'm out alone, traveling with friends, or driving in a car, the chances of there being a spare micro-usb cable around is significantly better than there being a proprietary fenix magnetic charging cable (how much do these go for separately? can you buy them individually from Fenix?). In any case, its the convenience factor for me that is key, otherwise I think this would have been a moot discussion and that I would have already gone with the RC11.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP after many years of collecting lights from many makers I have come to actually appreciate the excellent switch access on my tail switch Fenix lights. For example some of my tail switch Nitecore lights will tail stand but access to the switch makes you have to reach over the raised aluminum tips that allow it to tail stand. No there is no switching out the switch boot on any IP68 Fenix light. If you try it you will just end up destroying your tail cap as the boots are glued in with some kind of waterproof epoxy ie the IP68 rating.

The TK20R UI is easy as pie. The tail switch protrudes enough that you can half press or fully click it from any angle. The steel side switch protrudes enough to where it is easy to find in the dark. There is a red/green LED around the side switch. When you turn the light on it will light up green for good remaining voltage or red for low voltage/needs recharge for a few seconds then goes off.

I do not have the RC11 but do have the RC09 which is just a smaller version of it. The magnetic in light recharging is kind of odd but it works. I worry about keeping the exposed area where the magnetic cable attaches clean. Aside from that it is a great light. The RC11 seems to be a really fancy PD35 and likely has about the same output and short range performance. I do not think you can buy the magnetic cables from Fenix. I have never seen them for sale anywhere.

Senator

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the switch access. I can't stand the tail switch on my TN35 because you have to reach over the rim to get to the button.

That being said, I think a lot of lights could be designed to give BOTH access and tail standing, definitely with soda can lights, probably with single 18650s. Of course, it might mean that you have to hold the light in a certain orientation, but there has to be some compromise.

Sen

colight

Enlightened
No problem, Tymko, and I understand your point. About the charging cable being available separately - I just had a look on the Fenix Store online website because I became curious myself, and found that they do offer them at $7.00.

Tymko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for everyone's info.
You've convinced me to go for the TK20R. I'll be heading to a tradeshow this weekend and meeting up with some vendors who sell fenix lights.

That being said... I've tried googling and searching these forums, but would anyone know that CCT and CRI rating for the TK20R? I'm thinking CRI is in the 70s based on Cree spec sheets, but I haven't been able to find what specific colour temp comes out of these lights. From other posts is seems to be a heavy neutral or a light cool, but I haven't seen anyone provide any numbers in K...

As for a flashlight being able to stand, I can think of at least two ways that would allow for great button access or full button access and still allow the light to stand... so I know it's doable. And, for users like me, would be a huge plus.

And ouch - $7 + shipping for a replacement cable??

Tymko

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to provide a follow up.

I ended up picking up the TK20R with a 3500mAh Fenix battery (L18) and you guys were right, it's a great light! It feels good in the hand and having a tail switch with momentary on/off is useful.
And boy does this thing throw! (compared to the lights I've owned in the past). It seems to be a true tactical light.

That being said, it's not the perfect light for me... so Fenix, if you are reading this...

Fenix PD35TAC form factor
- Side and tail buttons (preferably doing the same functions of turning on/off with full click and mode selection with half clicks like you had in the P3D Q5 light). The one thing that I'm not a fan of with the TK20R (and I know it's made for other specific purposes) is that I need to switch hand positions to turn on/off the light and switch between modes.
- tail end stand - make the button flush with the lanyard loops, but position it more in a triangle orientation so it can stand. I like the textured button on the TK20R, so kudos to that!
- side USB-C charge plug on the tail cap. I envision a light standing on it's end with a USB-C plugged in charging, and it acting like a light in a room (I work in areas where there is no other light source and tend to use my light to light up a room instead of carrying a much bigger light stand)
- the anti-roll piece is very nice on the TK20R as well
- For my purposes, the light doesn't have to throw so far, and more spill would be useful (kind of like what the UC40UE has would be nice)
- Neutral LED with high CRI (90+) with R9 and RA12 values at 90 or above as well (not sure if these are available ?)

In any case, keep building nice lights!