Any reason to choose a single mode Malkoff drop in over the M361?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, like the title says is there any reason to go with a single mode Malkoff P60 drop in over the three mode M361? As far as I can tell the price difference is $20 and current draws look relatively similar. Is there anything I'm missing or should I go with this for my bored 6p? Thanks guys!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Some find the UI on the multimode not to their preference, in terms of latch timing.

Single mode provides less complexity, for better or worse.

PWM is an issue for some uses and users.

Also, voltage range differs....

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I prefer the single modes like the m61l and m61ll. The m361 has really slow pwm and the mode switching uses on time which i don't really care for. Hope that helps

Slightchance

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to use it for a self defense/tactical role you want a light to always turn on high. For a utility light, I think it is personal preference.

I chose a single mode drop in because I don't like to use my switch to go through modes. I only want it to turn the light on and off. I still like having a few different modes though. So, I have gravitated towards lights with features like Malkoff's high/low ring. Lights with variable brightness controls like HDS Rotarys are also very appealing to me. I just don't like using my button to switch modes. I can use them, but I would rather not. Of course, I may have just not found a UI that clicks with me yet.

Last edited:

dhunley1

Enlightened
I actually like the UI. It was a little frustrating at first, but that's because I didn't know what I was doing. I like the fact that it will always come on in low (as long as it was on for more than 1 second), and you can "stage" it to come on in a higher mode. It just takes some getting used to, but like I said, I really like it. That being said, I do prefer single mode drop-ins.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M361 is a very good drop-in.

As always, it depends on what you want.

It cannot put out larger light output than it has on max, and although its throw is decent for what it is, you would need to get to different drop-ins to get more throw.

Also, it is not the most efficient, if you are willing to use the light output from a single output drop-in, it should be more efficient (longer run-time for same batteries and lumen output).

Personally I don't have problems with either the UI or the PWM so don't count those as reasons to prefer other drop-ins.

But for general use, etc has posted many times how useful a drop-in it is, and how it can replace several other drop-ins.

It is a relatively new addition, so for many previous years many users got several drop-ins, and you could sort of do a bit of house-cleaning by replacing a few of those with the M361.

I like it for travel, in a compact 2x123 primary battery tube. I don't bother using a 1x18650 (or other Li-Ion) rechargeable when traveling, just carry a few extra batteries.

It is a bit of an outlier in terms of voltage range, as archimedes mentioned, so you have to also see what you have for a host and make sure it matches.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
361 can be operated easily with one hand using the clicky. So if you need to change settings quickly then you don't need to ensure you changed grip to one hand twist the bezel.
It has a rapid requirement that takes some getting used to, but so do a lot of other lights.

If you use low the most it's great for that.

I like the single mode drop ins better but own plenty of lights that require multi clicks to change settings.
It really depends on what you'll be using the light for and is it going to be your most used or just another tool in the tool chest. The 361 definitely has merits for users who prefer low/medium/high interfaces and don't mind using the half press to reach the one they prefer at a given moment.

My most used light is a 500/200/20 interface and I just instinctively press twice real quick for the medium setting, which is the most used.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
Runtime in on high M61 vs M361 is about the same but on medium on the M361 is 5 hrs and a M61LL is 10 hours for the same lumens. The M61LL is a great single output, bright enough for most uses and not overwhelming indoors. I use one as my garage light with a clicky switch. I tried all kind of stuff and settled on this.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think the M61LL hits a sweet spot in terms of output to runtime in the M61/60 platform. Own both the M60LL and M61LL. Odds are the M61NL is the most popular (have that as well) and if yea got a MD(x) the hi/lo ring runtimes on low are extremely long. If I was lost in the woods would take a M61LL with hi/lo ring over just about anything else though have a M61N with hi/low ring. I never got the M361 as think the voltage range is narrower and dislike PWM. For full disclosure I am a junkie.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason: a flashaholic(at least a Malkoff junkie) does not get only one single Malkoff dropin. Therefore an M361 may not be very important. Several single dropins means more lights and more lights is more fun! ;)

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my issues with the UI on the 361 which are well documented on here so I won't discuss that. It doesn't matter anyway because the single stage drop in with the high/low ring is my perfect UI. Only 2 modes: a useful low and max. Start in either mode without having to cycle through the other. I just wish other lights had the same UI. If I could find a true EDC sized lighf that worked that way I would buy it in an instant.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime in on high M61 vs M361 is about the same but on medium on the M361 is 5 hrs and a M61LL is 10 hours for the same lumens. The M61LL is a great single output, bright enough for most uses and not overwhelming indoors. I use one as my garage light with a clicky switch. I tried all kind of stuff and settled on this.

Indeed, thanks for putting down the numbers!

By the way, even the M60LL is more runtime efficient than the M361 on medium, you get something like 3 hours more.

So flexibility in outputs does have a price.

I have my issues with the UI on the 361 which are well documented on here so I won't discuss that. It doesn't matter anyway because the single stage drop in with the high/low ring is my perfect UI. Only 2 modes: a useful low and max. Start in either mode without having to cycle through the other. I just wish other lights had the same UI. If I could find a true EDC sized lighf that worked that way I would buy it in an instant.

McGizmo lights used to be 2 modes, then the Haiku line I believe started off with 3 modes and then changed again.

I think we think alike, I still like to use my Ti-PD-S as a kind of perfect simplicity yet usefulness 2-mode EDC light!

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, M361 does not get 5 hours on medium..

M61L draws 300 mAh at 6V and gets 175 lumens for 5 hours.

M61LL draws 150 mAh at 6V and gets 100 lumens.

M361N draws 275 mAh on medium and gets 80 lumens. However it does not specify at what voltage. If off a single 18650 (3.7V) then it makes sense that it draws considerably higher than off 6V. It has only one cell to work with versus 2. I would like to know the drain of M361N on medium off 6V (2x123).

M361N draws only 50 mAh which is comparable to M61LLL. Thats the valuable mode. I could live with the low and high mode, skipping the medium, which is brighter than M61.

I do realize the current draw on High is 1.5 Amps versus 0.65 Amps for High on M61 at 6V. Again, is the figure for M361N at 6V or 3.7V?

This review says they got over 10 hours on medium in M361:

While in medium mode the M361 maintained steady flat regulation for over 8.5 hours. It then dropped out of regulation and continued to produce a usable amount of light well after the 11 hour mark when the test was ended.

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/review-malkoff-m361n-lmh-drop-in/

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the real point of M361N is this. You have an emergency mode "Low" that only draws 50 mAh from the cells. Too bad the runtime is not listed, I will attempt a calculation shortly. It does not approximiate Malkoff "LL" but more like LLL that I believe draws 75 mAh or so.

If you have a different emergency where you need max lumens all of a sudden, if you get attacked somehow, by a wild animal or whatever, you can jump into High. that is very useful. Not sure what to do with the medium mode. It does draw a little higher on a single cell. Its behavior on 6V should be different from 1x18650 however.

The problem with other modules is you are permanently stuck in one mode. You have LL when what you really is maximum lumens. None of the M61 Malkoffs are very good outdoors, they just lack the punch of Hound Dogs or other lights. They are very good out to 25 yards but if you want 50-75 range, you need a different light altogether. M61 does make it to 75 meters but the lux is very low.

If you get M61, you will find yourself in an emergency where you need maxruntime. And vice-versa.

I haven't jumped on the MD2 bandwagon with low-high mode. So my needs are unique. If you have low-high ring, it may make a lot more sense than M361, I don't know. The mode switching with the head twist is a lot simper than M361. *However* M361 has no moving parts and is ultimately most reliable.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another point about PWM - M361N runs a relatively fast 310 Hz frequency. That's 310 oscillations per second. I think it becomes visible at closer to 100 Hz. Like Fenix L0D. You can only see 310 Hz if you point it at a fan or something pretty fast and then it's fascinating to watch. You cannot see it pointing at it objects or even fast moving objects like birds or cars. It needs to rotate and do so fast to trigger PWM visiblity. In the last month or two I've had it, I've only seen PWM once. Pointed it at a cooling fan in a computer.

PWM is not an issue with Malkoff M361.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, lots of info here, thanks guys!!!

I think my takeaway is the single mode is nice for simplicity but the dual mode is good for versatility. I have a couple 2,000+ lumen lights and in all honesty for the small bit of night hiking and poking around outside I often find 100 lumens is just perfectly fine. I'm very tempted to go with the M61LL. This 6P will mostly reside in my back pack for hiking and camping outings. I'm very tempted to just resell it and pick up the MD2 with the high/low switch though.......:thinking:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best choice depends fully on how it'll be used. When used on, or with a weapon, M61. For general purpose, find stuff under the sofa types of tasks, M361, as long as the negative aspects don't outweigh the benefit of three modes.

The correct choice is....both, and make the decision for yourself. You're not buying a car or a boat, so it's unlikely to be a huge financial burden.

I just read your last sentence. This is the best route to take, as far as I'm concerned. In addition to the high/low ring, the MD2 gets you a McClicky switch, and a tailcap that tailstands.

Last edited: