Super thrower 6P drop in?

Dthoreson81

Newly Enlightened
I've got a surefire m951 that has no lamp. I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like it to throw a nice relatively tight beam, spill is OK, but I'd like it to be around a 75:25 throw to spill ratio if that makes any sense.

I also have the adapter to make this a three cell fireball tossing tube, :) so I guess it should be able to handle three lithium ion cells.

Thanks in advance.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M951's heat sinking ability, with the standard collar which was designed for incandescent lamps, isn't very good. I don't recommend a hard driven emitter with the stock setup. Oveready makes a socket made specifically for P60s that will help greatly in this regard.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A triple behind optics is the opposite of what is needed. It will generate a huge hot spot with bright spill. An XP-G2 emitter driven to around an Amp in the stock light, paired with a smooth reflector, should deliver what's needed.

If the Oveready LU60 is used, then an XP-L or preferably an XP-L HI can be used, and driven to 3 or more Amps. In this case, wrapping the drop-in with copper or aluminum to maximize heat transfer, is recommended.

The challenge is that most high powered drop-ins are designed to only be used with a single Li-Ion cell.

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out PflexPro drop-ins! I highly recommend them for a decent thrower that is still has enough spill for general use!

Dthoreson81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. Looks like I've got a good path to follow.

If it makes any difference, I've got two weapons that need lighting. My shotgun that will need to only illuminate inside the house type distances. My rifle on the other hand would be used mainly for coyote control.

I could use the oveready lu60 to mount on a weaponlight body for 6p bezels then? If so I'd probably end up getting a copper head for the thing.

Thanks again.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everybody. Looks like I've got a good path to follow.

If it makes any difference, I've got two weapons that need lighting. My shotgun that will need to only illuminate inside the house type distances. My rifle on the other hand would be used mainly for coyote control.

I could use the oveready lu60 to mount on a weaponlight body for 6p bezels then? If so I'd probably end up getting a copper head for the thing.

Thanks again.

For mounted lights, I think you'd be better off with potted dropins. As already mentioned, Pflexpro is likely your best bet. And Pflexpro offers XPL-HI emitters for more throw without sacrificing spill. Pflexpro's prices are definitely more affordable, if not also more reasonable.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumn also sells an aspheric kit for p60 I believe. Might want to check that out.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing to remember is that no P60 drop in will be a great thrower. The reflector is just to short for its diameter to really concentrate the output into a tight beam with some real distance. Granted, this can be overcome somewhat by sheer brute force, i.e. more lumens, but there is a practical limit to how many lumens a P60 can output for more then seconds at a time.

Of course, this all depends on the definition of a 'thrower'. To me, to be a thrower a light should provide a tight hot spot at distances over 500 meters. I used to be able to light up the entire side of the neighbor's two story house at 50m with a LF HO-6 in my G2, but in a hunting environment that would have provided too much side light to provide good accuracy past that, especially in and amongst trees and bushes.

I look forward to learning what some other definitions of a 'thrower' are.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inconvenience or general ignorance is enough of a deterrent for many to DIY this kind of drop in...also, on the flip side, people like supporting their fellow modders sometimes

The best thrower on that page is 4X the price to build. I feel like that modder is taking advantage of people.

I always help people when they have questions with DIY. It would be wrong to suggest but not help.

Scourie

Enlightened
Leaving out the financial side of things, I have a V54 XP-G2 dedomed drop in that is more intense than a standard Olight M23.

I can't ask for more than that.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PFlexPro XP-L with smooth reflector, that's driven to 3.04 Amps. It does pretty well, but won't accept more voltage than is provided by one Li-Ion.

I do not recommend the use of multiple 16340s, since a single 16650, with its significantly higher mAh of storage, should allow it to run longer.