What happened to my snow? With gear!!!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Just a relatively few days ago went for a short little hike with plans for a Friday night snow hike. Everything looked good.

Some harbingers of doom. It felt warm and this spot was nice and dry. Warm and dry....

Oh some exposed rocks. I was up to my knees a few days before...

Just my imagination. All is fine.

I like cedar..

Ok all was well. Can't wait for the upcoming Friday night...... night hike in the snow. A winter tradition.

Now for the Friday night....night hike....

Starting to work out the problem. What happened to my snow. It was about 70 today and in the 60's yesterday. Bummer for a snow night hike. Time to check out the kit.

When moving at night I pack a headlamp and flashlight using the same battery type.

Larger PSK with all the fixings.

MP blacksmith or striker knife with DIY Kydex and ferro rod. Basically nothing to go wrong with this gear item. So simple yet good.

Night hike lithium ion kit.

Lets keep going.

You can just make out the same lake in this photo as appeared in the first hike. I am some miles away from the other area but the water is really a dammed river.

I found some snow. Kinda sad really though liked the warm weather.

The melt resulted in lots of wet and run off.

1000 lumens from the headlamp just because.

Maybe 400.

Lots of water so one has to watch their step in a melt situation.

One of my favorite Friday night activities. Looking for trout.

My UL night pack. I have reflective bands on the back for when crossing or running down roads. Cover lots of miles intersecting a road happens.

I noticed red winged black birds were moving back into the area this week. I don't know their migratory patterns but this kinda was it for the hike. No snow then the dead bird in the middle of the trail. That's it. I am out....

Just 5 miles cuz of the bird.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame about the lack of snow and the bird. Cool gear and pictures though. Nice captions too. Thanks for sharing!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
and now what is your fav hiking shoes? not for snow, we don't have that here. thanks for sharing.

scout24

Flashaholic
Lol. WoodsWalker, you can blame me for the warmup this week. After the last snowfall here in the Northeast, I couldn't get my tractor back uo my driveway due to the ice. I broke down and bought a snowplow for my Tundra, which was installed this past Tuesday. Hence, no more snow this winter... :eek: I think that decision on my part undid the Groundhog seeing his shadow and promising six more weeks of winter. But hey, I'll be ready for next winter.

Woods Walker

Lol. WoodsWalker, you can blame me for the warmup this week. After the last snowfall here in the Northeast, I couldn't get my tractor back uo my driveway due to the ice. I broke down and bought a snowplow for my Tundra, which was installed this past Tuesday. Hence, no more snow this winter... :eek: I think that decision on my part undid the Groundhog seeing his shadow and promising six more weeks of winter. But hey, I'll be ready for next winter.
Same goes for taking the poncho out from the pack. It will stop raining once it's on!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the hiking shoes, try Vasque Breeze hiking boots. They're very popular for hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail. They usually last 500+ miles. For the poncho, I usually put mine on when the clouds roll in and the trees around me start to smell. They smell when they open up their cells to absorb the incoming rain. It usually rains within 15 minutes from then.

Woods Walker

For the hiking shoes, try Vasque Breeze hiking boots. They're very popular for hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail. They usually last 500+ miles. For the poncho, I usually put mine on when the clouds roll in and the trees around me start to smell. They smell when they open up their cells to absorb the incoming rain. It usually rains within 15 minutes from then.
We have similar signs all of which seem less effective when I go through the trouble to crack out the poncho. Now if I don't then appositely. It rains. LOL!

ssanasisredna

Enlightened

Used to buy Vasque all the time, but they are not very common in the North East and it can be hard to find a store.

What is the make/model of your pack? It looks good. It is hard to find small packs with proper hip support. I gave my last one away to someone who needed it more than I.