Need 5 inexpensive lights

gsusser

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while since I visited... please forgive my naivete.

I need to procure lights for managers at my place of employment, a restaurant, to be used in low lit areas (behind the bar) and in case of emergency, i.e., temporary loss of power. Nothing fancy. I'm thinking 2 AA lights for between $10-$15 each. Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hard to beat a mini mag. Nothing fancy, just ready when you need it.

Not the pro, pro plus or that sort of thing... just the basic 100-ish lumen mini mag from big box stores. Should run say... $13 to $17 with batteries and a holster.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
(Sorry, I completely overlooked your 2-AA preference before replying.)

The Thrunite Ti5 might fit your bill. They can be had from Thrunite directly for $16.10 (slightly above your budget) after using discount code "THRUNITE".

Features this light (or any other candidate you're considering) that might work well for your intended users are -
(1) a rear clicky for single handed operation (twisties can be difficult for some people)
(2) small/light weight, so that it's always in pocket (or clipped to person) when needed,
(3) Firefly mode, great in low level lighting environment,
(4) Turbo mode, when needed for evacuation, searching under tables, etc.
(5) uses common AAA size battery,
(6) shipped from US distributor so there's no waiting delivery.

Additionally, I recommend the Neutral Tint, more pleasant in low light environments & definitely use Lithium primaries AAA batteries (long standby time), eliminates corrosion risks of Alkaline batteries.

(I am not affiliated with Thrunite in any form or fashion, just a user.)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight i3e EOS sliver (120LM,) or in colors (90LM.) Single mode AAA light that is small, fairly bright for the size and runs on a single AAA, so cheap to use.

About $13.99, or $9.99 shipped, off of Ebay by US sellers.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little bit more than your price range, but TerraLUX makes a nice 2AAA penlight, the Lightstar 80. It's AAA and not AA, but it still has a run time of around 5 hrs. Claims to be higher CRI, I would peg it at around 80-85 CRI. Does a much better job of color rendition than a lot of the low cost lights I have seen. Nice little light, claims to be 80 lumens which seems close to reality. Comes in several colors as well. I got mine when Battery Junction was selling them two for $25, but they go for around $20 now.

Another light to look at would be the BLF 348 from GearBest. It too is a AAA light. The specs say it can also use a 10440 Li-Ion, but don't believe them. It works, but it gets very hot very quickly, and will quickly destroy the LED due to overheating. It puts out about 100 lumens in a wide even beam, so it is very good for lighting up an area close by and looking for things. Its high CRI means excellent color rendition, which makes finding something dropped very easy. Right now they are selling for $8.99, and for another dollar you get a nice gift box as well. If they sell out or you want something similar but even cheaper, look at the Slingfire 348. It is the same light, but with a CREE LED instead of the Nichea, and therefore doesn't give as good a color rendition, but is a little brighter. I actually bought about a dozen of the BLF 348s because they make such nice gifts.

I'm not that sold on AA Maglights, but check the big box stores. They usually have Eveready or Ray-o-Vac penlights for a reasonable price.

Last recommendation. Buy lithium primary cells instead of alkalines. Yes, they cost more, but they last almost twice as long, and will not leak all over the insides of the light and ruin it. I have been able to find the lithium cells for a little over a $1 a cell at of all places my local grocery store, so they aren't as expensive as some say they are. To me they are worth the extra.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer just released a new "industrial economy" x2 AA flashlight in bright yellow. Runs about $6 - do a Google search for "Energizer Eveready Industrial Economy 2AA LED Flashlight - 30 Lumens - Includes 2 x AAs". I bought one on a whim and it's fairly decent for what it is. Listed at 30 lumens for 43 hours.

The Rayovac Indestructible x2 AA at your local hardware store isn't a bad choice either, although the beam profile is more throw than spill, which isn't helpful in close quarters.

gsusser

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone! I never expected such great options.

I'm going to go the practical route and get the inexpensive Energizer Industrial. For the price, I can get a few extras.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good call.

If they are treated decent (not used as a hammer/dropped down stairs) you'll probably find they are fine for the role.

Now when you're ready to purchase ones to use as a hammer or toss down stairs like a slinky... c'mon back and we'll spend your money for those type too.

Welcome to the site btw.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I also suggest getting a couple packs of the Energizer lithium AA batteries to use in the lights. Based upon the intended use of the lights it sounds like they may have a tendency to set unused more than they will be used and if they are stored with alkaline cells in them there is a good possibility the light will not work when called upon as the alkaline cells have corroded inside the light.