What is a good 90+ CRI edc flashlight?

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Looking for a 90+ CRI edc flashlight that uses either 1 18650 battery or 1 AA (14500) battery. I would like around 250 lumens for the 14500 and around 300+ lumens for the 18650. I am not looking for a astrolux s41 or manker e14

Last edited:

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Re: What is a 90+ CRI edc flashlight?

I already have 2 of them. Ones a triple xpl and another for spare parts. I am looking for something like a single nitchia 219 with solid build quality that doesn't weight as much as the E14. I work as a CNC machinist and am constantly moving so I need something more comfortable. I would like the head to not have such a large diameter.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened

Zebralight SC600FD Plus.

I have a sc600 mkIII HI already. I don't know if I want to spend the $100 on a light that looks exactly the same. It is a very good suggestion that I am actually considering though. 1500lm is not too shabby.

Last edited:

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
I already have 2 of them. Ones a triple xpl and another for spare parts. I am looking for something like a single nitchia 219 with solid build quality that doesn't weight as much as the E14. I work as a CNC machinist and am constantly moving so I need something more comfortable. I would like the head to not have such a large diameter.

What about an Eagletac D25?

I have a D25C Clicky, with a Nichia 219B, in titanium that's been my EDC for the past 2 years. It's small, light and seems to be able to take just about any kind of beating, plus it never fails.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you've got nearly everything :) But what about a bit of throw in Nichia 219C? I mean Eagletac TX30C2:

IMG_0188.jpg

Another image is for size comparison:

IMG_0189.jpg

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

Here's another vote for the Reylight Pinneapple. 219C. Runs on AA, Nimh, or 14500. I carry a Malkoff MDC Neutral with a 16340 body...if you can get past needing a 219 light, the Malkoff would serve you well.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

HDS 219 with 18650 body? That's a light that's been on my list for a long time. If I could just stop buying Malkoffs...

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Probably heavier than you want and a close 80 cri....Oveready bored Elzetta Bravo body with low profile bezel with Malkoff M61W drop in. I know...$$$$$ but extreme in durability.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zebralight SC600FD
Great Suggestion!

I have a sc600 mkIII HI already. I don't know if I want to spend the $100 on a light that looks exactly the same. It is a very good suggestion that I am actually considering though. 1500lm is not too shabby.

compare and contrast your SC600 Hi to the 600FD.. FD is floody, might be a benefit, FD is 13 CRI higher, might be a benefit to your application, and the FD is slighly cooler, which might also be a benefit to you..

these others all have PWM (which you might want to avoid, unless you actually like stop motion on things that are spinning):

Jaxman E2 (Nichia 219B 4000k or 5700k, 18650)

if you want a light with NoPWM, that would rule out the Jaxman, and Pineapple, and Eagletac, and 3 mode Malkoffs (the single and 2 mode Malkoffs are NoPWM)

atm I cannot think of any NoPWM light that meets your battery and CRI criteria, besides the Zebra 600FD

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

SC600 HI's color rendering is already pretty great. You're not getting too much more benefit with the higher CRI. Most of the obvious differences will come off of tint and CCT differences. All things equal though, CRI from 80 to 90 is much more subtle. So having said that, if you already have the HI, the only reason to get the Plus would be if you wanted the diffused beam that was slightly higher in CCT.

recDNA

Flashaholic
What about an Eagletac D25?

I have a D25C Clicky, with a Nichia 219B, in titanium that's been my EDC for the past 2 years. It's small, light and seems to be able to take just about any kind of beating, plus it never fails.
From op description sounds perfect. One on my keyring. One in my brief case although mine use CR123A. I do have a titanium AA model on my bedstand as well. 219b still the best imo.

I can't see pwm so I don't know how bad mine is.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory Seraph 6 is a single 18650 light that can be ordered with a 90+ Cree emitter. The only drawback is that it is a single mode at 700 lumens, which would probably be too bright for close-up work. An alternative would be to buy just the body which they have on sale right now, and get a Nichea 219 or high CRI Cree drop in. I particularly like the CUXM/CUXP drop in from Mountain Electronics. I got mine with the Nichea 219 emitter and an orange peel reflector. You also have your choice of several sets of mode levels.

For something smaller look at the Lumintop Copper Tool. It is available with the Nichea emitter and has a two-way clip for ease of use. It is a single AAA, and even though some documentation says you can use a 10440 cell, it is not recommended. If you want to use 10440s, look at the Lumintop IYP365 penlight. It too is available with a Nichea emitter, and works quite well with one 10440 cell and one dummy cell. That lets you get the rechargeability of a Li-Ion cell without destroying the LED and/or driver.