Yella Lights

parametrek

Enlightened
Some people have a soft spot for yella knives. Me, I have a thing for yella lights. I'm not sure when it happened, but it was early. That Eveready Sportsgear was the first real flashlight (waterproof with a forward click switch) I ever bought and it played host for all of my early LED experiments. The Fenix HL21 was my first headlamp, and still the favorite for backpacking. And most recent was a Solarforce P1, a real P60 workhorse.

yella-800.jpg

There's plenty of reasons to like yellow flashlights. Hard to misplace when you set them down and easy to find in the dark, for starters. They're better for harsh environments; won't corrode or spark or freeze to your hand. Always timeless, they age well too. Since the color goes the whole way through most dings and scrapes are invisible. That Sportsgear went on every childhood camping trip and was dropped more times than I can count. Still looks great. A plastic light is the only light I feel comfortable holding in my mouth, for fear of chipping a tooth. And yet modern nylon-based polymer composites are as strong as aluminum.

Now some people can't take a plastic light seriously. After all, it will melt! But we are in an era of LEDs that are nearly as efficient as physics allows. 150 lumens per watt, even 200 lumens per watt. When efficiency climbs, less energy is needed and less waste heat is produced. A watt or three makes plenty of light for me and can be safely dissipated without any overheating.

But it is getting harder to find a good yellow light. Fenix has a few yellow headlamps still, but they are old and XP-G based. Pelican and Streamlight make a handful of simple options. Surefire's G2 line keeps getting thinner every year. Anyone have some classics they could share?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yella lights are COOL!

When acquiring my first G2 there was no question which flavor would be first... yellow.
A "nightstick" intrinsicley(sp?) safe in my collection is a Stevie Wonder could see it shade of yellow too.
Some think them lame but over the years I have acquired several Dorcys, Energizers, and Rayovacs because they were yellow. Now I have vintage, really old Bright Star and Burgess D sized from the WW2/Korea eras.

Yup... yellow is the new black.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow here too. Never considered them at first but after losing lights all the time I am now getting them in yellow, much easier to see. I have a few Streamlight AA in yellow. They are awesome [emoji106]

parametrek

Enlightened
yellow-freedom-800.jpg

My latest find: a limited edition yellow Photon Freedom, paired with an extra small brass Higo no Kami. Probably should have polished that brass a little brighter :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was considering starting a yellow plastic light thread in the budget section because I'd forgotten about this one.

Here's mine. Yellow G2x Pro was added due to the subliminal messages planted by this thread.

Long live the yellow flashlight.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayovac industrial incans are the "yellow" lights I most often see in B&M stores. The D models are still a decent utility lights with an LED drop-in. Underwater Kinetics and Princeton Tec are a couple of other companies still making "yellow" lights. It doesn't seem likely that many of these lights are using the latest LEDs but I noticed that Princeton Tec's current version of the Impact XL (successor to the venerable Tec 40) is rated at 120 lumens now, up from 65 lumens.

The Bright Star (Koehler) are probably a good bet for traditional slide switch industrial LED lights. I don't have any of the LED versions but the incans I do have are well made and make good drop-in hosts. The Bright Stars safety rated models are orange instead of yellow but fall in the same category as many of the "yellow" lights being discussed. There are still a couple yellow models available.

Unfortunately most of the "yellow", good quality lights are not available in B&M stores,the Rayovac is usually the only one I see. Not a huge deal to order online or anything but it would be nice to find more in the B&M stores.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd almost forgotten about the NightStick XPR-5522 GM intrinsicaly safe light.

Had to use a seller pic because believe it or not I cannot find the one I have stashed in my truck somewhere.

Stevie Wonder could see it but for some reason I can't this morning.
Perhaps it grew legs and walked away with my helmet mounted headlamp that time....

Latest posts