Best Flood/Throw combo flashlight on the market?

lovemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Currently, my strongest flashlight is the Fenix TK75. I could not recommend it enough, makes me very happy. Turns out, my mother likes my flashlight, but says she want something even stronger. So I can live vicariously through her (as I naturally wouldn't mind something more powerful), just got to find the right torch. The TK75 has a throw of 650m (on paper). I see the RC40 is another 80 meters, but it is just so expensive. Maybe if it were another 200m? Though just not enough gains for that price. I have been looking at the Imalent DT70, though that is only another 50 meters, but the price is more reasonable. Ultimately, something 800m plus though. I am assuming, most if not all torches above that will be pure throw torches and after owning a tK61, I know I am more of a flood guy, even if I do like distance.

So bottom line, what is the longest throwing flood light? Might the Imalent be the one?

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Vinh's X65vn

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?426136-X65vn-Best-Thrower-Searchlight

I am assuming, most if not all torches above that will be pure throw torches and after owning a tK61, I know I am more of a flood guy, even if I do like distance.

Vinh differentiates between what he calls a dedicated thrower (a thinner beam) and a high output thrower (self explanatory), X65vn is his best high output thrower now, 1600 meters and 11,000 lumen approximately.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN42.

It's pretty much the king of throw for stock lights right now and throws 1550 meters. There is also the TN42vn from Skylumen if you want even more power. It's not exactly floody though but, you seem more concerned with throw and it does still appear to have a pretty bright spill.

There is also the TN40S if you want more flood. It still has 1151 meters of throw.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam X65vn. There is no better.

Down one notch in size and performance: TN40vn. This is quad XHP35 HI, not quad XP-L.

After that, there is no need to go down any more notches, unless you need a smaller size flashlight.

lovemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies. I probably should have mentioned my budget... Maybe $200-250. The Thrunite TN40vn seems like a reasonable option and such a great throw, but is it a flood torch? It looks like a pretty short head, so I am hoping so?

ven

Flashaholic
Dare I say it.....again! K60vn

There said it again, great light for an all rounder .

wjv

Enlightened
Saw this ad a few weeks back.

But I'm a bit confused. Are you looking for Flood (wide beam, short range) or throw (Very narrow beam, long range). You title talks about flood/throw combo, but once you get over 650 meters, most of those lights will have little flood. A good combo light is the TK51, (two leds, one flood one throw) but it only is rated at 400 meters. A good inexpensive thrower is the Olight SR52UT (800+ meters) and a good inexpensive flood light is the Olight SRMini Intimidator II.

ThruNite TN42 - the thrower monster with max. beam distance of 1550 meters.
Limited quantity only! Just pre-order now!
CREE XHP35 HI LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
Max. output of 2000 lumens and an ultra-long distance of 1550 meters.
ThruNite ITC technology to prevent possible damage from overheating.
Intelligent and ergonomic user-friendly interface.
Pre-order before 15th April to get 10% off at the thrunite website using Coupon code: TN42

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Essentially not a pencil beam thrower but something with a wider beam with more even spot and spill that has decent reach. Think something like car headlights without the cut offs.

hahoo

Enlightened
get the tn40 vn....its got flood and range
1400 meters, and close to 9000 lumens:D

32813829860_99be855b85_h.jpg

tower at over 800 meters

32955378511_487ec5f58a_b.jpg

sorry heres the control..

32955378021_f187330d41_b.jpg

lovemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Like I said, my TK75 is a great flood/throw torch. It does great distance and great flood. I was just looking to increase the distance without losing too much flood. A few good contenders here I can see... I will mull it all over and see what I come up with.

hahoo

Enlightened
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Like I said, my TK75 is a great flood/throw torch. It does great distance and great flood. I was just looking to increase the distance without losing too much flood. A few good contenders here I can see... I will mull it all over and see what I come up with.

that tk75 has 100kcd throw, just googled it
i just got a nitecore p30, that i measured at 115kcd :eek:, can fit in my pocket, and is 5.5 inches long;)
that tn40vn, has 9000 lumens, 500kcd throw, and almost too much flood at times for me
thats well over twice the lumens you got now, and 5 times the throw
just sayin......:D

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I just got a Solarforce K3 and run it one 2x18650 IMR batteries. It has a very good combination of flood and throw.

domho8

Newly Enlightened
Hi gurus I hv both the tn42 & tk75 stock.
What's the best flooder that I can get from vinh. The x45vn is that a great flooder. Tks for reading.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Currently, my strongest flashlight is the Fenix TK75. I could not recommend it enough, makes me very happy. Turns out, my mother likes my flashlight, but says she want something even stronger. So I can live vicariously through her (as I naturally wouldn't mind something more powerful), just got to find the right torch. The TK75 has a throw of 650m (on paper). I see the RC40 is another 80 meters, but it is just so expensive. Maybe if it were another 200m? Though just not enough gains for that price. I have been looking at the Imalent DT70, though that is only another 50 meters, but the price is more reasonable. Ultimately, something 800m plus though. I am assuming, most if not all torches above that will be pure throw torches and after owning a tK61, I know I am more of a flood guy, even if I do like distance.

So bottom line, what is the longest throwing flood light? Might the Imalent be the one?

I am looking at the Fenix TK75(2018) or the Nitecore TM06S to replace my 3-4yr old Nitecore EA41, I am leaning towards the Fenix because of higher lumens of 5000, its rechargeable and its big and manly, something to hold, if you get me.

I would love one of the big Nitecore Tiny Monster's, the ones with the 4 led's separated, but they are like £200-300 and the Fenix including batts is about £150. I dont think I could throw much more money at a torch then £150.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Defo the 75 over the tm06, the tk75 is still one of the better multi cell lights available. Better heat sinking (larger head to), more flexible(run time kits) and imo more robust. One negative with the tn06(sure nothing has changed on newer version) is the parasitic drain. If cells left in light, it can drain 2 cells quite a bit. So to avoid you need to undo tail cap. Now this part is a variable depending on cell length. Might be 2 turns to lock out, might be 3 . This becomes tiresome in between uses.........as you could imagine.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
Defo the 75 over the tm06, the tk75 is still one of the better multi cell lights available. Better heat sinking (larger head to), more flexible(run time kits) and imo more robust. One negative with the tn06(sure nothing has changed on newer version) is the parasitic drain. If cells left in light, it can drain 2 cells quite a bit. So to avoid you need to undo tail cap. Now this part is a variable depending on cell length. Might be 2 turns to lock out, might be 3 . This becomes tiresome in between uses.........as you could imagine.

The only thing thats new with the tm06s is the tail cap switch has been removed, as I think that was the cause of the draining of the batteries. I do like the flashing switch on the tm06s so you can find the light in the dark, I think thats quite a nifty feature, but the TK75 has so much more going for it. What batteries do you recommend to buy for the TK75 or the TM06S, as I want some decent batts thats going to work well in the light, but dont want to spend mega money. As over here in the UK, you dont get much for your money now.