Noctic Focus - any good?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
That "noctic focus" light is just a rebrand of a cheap generic Chinese light. They're also sold as the "X800".

You can find basically the same light on Ebay for $5-$10. Basically, the seller of that light stuck different name on the side, jacked up the price 10x and is selling it as a premium light. It's not. It's junk.

If you like the style and the zoom and don't need a quality light, save yourself some money and buy one on Ebay for 1/10 the price.

lennert.b

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your message!

Yes, I've seen those other ones on eBay. They indeed look similar, but there are big differences between them.

Basically, there are a lot of sellers selling knock-offs or brandless Chinese junk at ridiculously cheap prices. And they also lie about the specs (often promising 5000 lumens with 18650 batteries of 8000 mAh) - things that are just scientifically impossible, but most people don't know.
But I also know for a fact that in many Chinese factories you can order dirt cheap junk, or ask them to make good quality products (which in some cases they CAN), albeit for a premium price.

This Noctic seems to me to be the latter, as they really have an eye for detail, seeing their website, the reviews (on their own website, and on Bol.com), the fact that they give 3 years warranty and 30 days to give back if not 100% satisfied...

So my question here was really if anybody here has really tried this specific flashlight, and can give their experience with it :).

nbp

Flashaholic
A search here for Noctic and also Noctic Focus returns 0 hits. So, it would appear no one is talking about it. It is as noted above, just another cheap re-brand.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALL flashlights with that body style are just cheap rebrands. None of them are well-built.

It features the following:
* outdated emitter. Noctic's website advertises the emitter as a "CREE XML2", but the picture is very clearly an XML, not an XML2. XMLs are outdated. No decent light over $20 today is sold with an XML. Also, the emitter in the picture probably isn't even a CREE XML. It's most likely a Latticebright XML (an inferior knockoff of an outdated emitter).
* acrylic plastic aspheric lens. Almost all cheap zoomable flashlights use plastic aspheric lenses. Optical acrylic has around a 93% transmittance rate and scratches easily. In contrast, the very few high quality zoomies available have glass or coated glass optics, that scratch less easily and have better transmittance.
* cheap no-name battery. Possibly a fire hazard and capable of far less amps than a high quality cell from a reputable battery manufacturer.
* basic 5-mode UI as shown on Noctic's website. This type of UI is pretty much only found in cheap generic lights.
* Low output with minimal throw. If you look on Ebay you'll see claims of 3500, 8000 or 15000 lumens. But those claims are almost always completely fake. Given the emitter that appears to be used and the low power driver I expect this light to put out maybe 200 lumens in flood mode, and probably 100 lumens in spot mode. And because it's using an XML, which is a large-die low-intensity emitter, throw in spot mode will be minimal.

At best, you might get a sample that has slightly better looking anodizing than the cheapest on Ebay. But even a good turkey is still a turkey. This in no way compares to a quality name-brand light from a manufacturer like Fenix or Sunwayman for the same price.

Nobody who knows anything about flashlights would ever think that light is a good deal. It's a scam. A cheap budget light bought from a Chinese manufacturer, rebranded and with the price jacked up 10x.

Features to look for on high-quality lights:

* Current control for all lower modes, or high frequency PWM
* neutral tint emitter
* State of the art emitter (typically a CREE XPL, XPL HI, XHP35/50/70, or for Nichia: 219B or 219C)
* Type III hard anodizing
* sophisticated user-interface, preferably with shortcuts to min and max (not just 5 modes in sequence)
* coated glass optics.

For the price listed in Noctic's ad you could buy a DQG Tiny 26650 version 3, which is smaller, better built and has 12x the output (2500 actual lumens out-the-front as measured in an integrating sphere)

Last edited:

lennert.b

Newly Enlightened
* outdated emitter. Noctic's website advertises the emitter as a "CREE XML2", but the picture is very clearly an XML, not an XML2. XMLs are outdated. No decent light over $20 today is sold with an XML. Also, the emitter in the picture probably isn't even a CREE XML. It's most likely a Latticebright XML (an inferior knockoff of an outdated emitter).
* acrylic plastic aspheric lens. Almost all cheap zoomable flashlights use plastic aspheric lenses. Optical acrylic has around a 93% transmittance rate and scratches easily. In contrast, the very few high quality zoomies available have glass or coated glass optics, that scratch less easily and have better transmittance.

Thanks for your detailed information! BUT:

* How do you see this is not a XM-L2? When I Google XM-L2, I see exactly the same chip as on their website...
* They do mention that it is a glass lens with coating. Why do you interpret it as plastic? Such a lie would be easy to find out...

Please give information on facts, not on assumptions.

ALL flashlights with that body style are just cheap rebrands. None of them are well-built.

This is the type of generalization that I was not looking for... :shakehead

On the bright side, thanks for clearing out which are the good LED's to look out for!

lennert.b

Newly Enlightened
A search here for Noctic and also Noctic Focus returns 0 hits. So, it would appear no one is talking about it. It is as noted above, just another cheap re-brand.

It's a new brand, so I'm probably the first one speaking about it. (Hence this topic, to know if anybody had experience with it). All brands start somewhere, right? :p

swan

Banned
It's a new brand, so I'm probably the first one speaking about it. (Hence this topic, to know if anybody had experience with it). All brands start somewhere, right? :p

Nothin new about snake oil son.

Avoid these $5 junkers.

swan

Banned
Cree XML2 have a silver substrate- not green.

Its a cheap and nasty Lattice bright led.

And that cheapo $1 driver is from a chinese discount electronics parts bin trawl.

The same light comes up on a weekly basis under a new name.

maukka

Enlightened
It's absolute junk with a knockoff LED. The output is somewhere between 50-300 lumens depending on the zoom and emitter lottery. Build quality is rubbish and there's no way I'd pay even $5 for these. At least Noctic is being quite honest with the output and throw specs.

Here are some brand names these are sold as:
Flashlight Q250
Tvins Pro Ray
LumiTact G700
Mixxar Q250
Shadowhawk X800
Light Strike 360
T2000
Brightmax 3000
Atomic Beam
Lumify X9
Gladiator Tactical