Potential Problem with my new Arc4+

Status
Not open for further replies.

digirob

Newly Enlightened
Greetings flashaholics!

I've had my Arc4+ for a few days now (also own the LS2) and have observed the following disconcerting behavoir: There appears to be poor electrical contact because I find my Arc4 rebooting though I've not messed with the battery.

When RFS was enabled, it was obvious because I would see the RFS sequence *sometimes* when turning on the light. I have since disabled RFS. Now, of course, there's no RFS, but I still see the very very dim "new battery installed" indication sometimes when I turn it on. This very dim light lasts for a couple seconds then normal light. I figured this dim light display is the rebooting/POST process. I'm not contesting the dim display, as I believe that's the reboot indication. (right?) My problem is the fact that it IS rebooting when I've not opened the battery compartment. This itself makes me think it's a poor electrical contact because it boots only when I "disturb" it by turning it on.

Most times it turns on fine. The custom menus all work, brightness, etc. My click timing is fine. I have no issues with programming logic or how to access the various features.

My issue is purely with that appears to be poor electrical contact. I scrupulously cleaned the entire electrical path with alcohol as I did find extraneous grease in those areas. Yes, I left the threads greased. I just cleaned up the slop. This seems to have helped but I've since noticed the same rebooting behavoir -- though not as often.

Anyone else have this issue? Perhaps I need to clean the electrical path a bit more? Sour unit?

thanks.....!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
try tightening the battery compartment a bit more instead of stopping once you feel some resistance. that fixed the problem for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm guessing the slight bit of play in the threads present causes this.

btw, welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif the arc4 is a great light to start out with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
The grease on the contacts is likely *aiding* in electrical contact. I like the ideas presented here as well - but using some conductive grease on the contact areas is always a good idea too.

digirob

Newly Enlightened
Darell, yep I thought of using an electrically conductive grease. I'm stopping by my local electronics shop today to see if they have some.

yaesumofo, checked that already and it's oriented correctly.

chamenos, I'll try that.

Thanks for all the tips!

I've been lurking for awhile now. You guys are really polite! What a refreshing change from so many other chat boards.

regards,
Robert

TCG

Newly Enlightened
Mine did the same thing. Sometimes I would pick it up and it wouldn't turn on. twist the pack a little bit and it would reboot. Other times I saw the same behaviour you describe.

All the problems went away as soon as I drained the first battery. I have run several batteries through it since and haven't had a bit of problem. I tend to think there was something funky about the cell.

It seemed to happen mostly after the light had been out of my pocket for awhile and sitting in a cold room. Possibly temperature related.

Try a different battery and see if it makes a difference. It did for me.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is slack in the battery-switch-contact mechanism, the circuit will not be completed until the button is pressed. This causes the light to powerup when the button is pressed instead of when the battery is changed.

Fixes include tightening the pack and cap, making sure the switch is assembled correctly (only if you took it apart) and stretching out the button spring to take up the slack. We can also repair it for you as well of course.

Peter

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
digirob said:
You guys are really polite! What a refreshing change from so many other chat boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to CPF, Robert. The only reason most of these guys are nice is because we break the kneecaps of anybody who's mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
FYI, here is a pic of some of our staffmembers.... Darell is the one on the right... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (He dressed up, normally he wears a pink tutu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif }
reminder.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.