Older Spy 007's Which version to buy?

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Hopefully, I'm in the right place to ask for advice. I want to try a 007 but GG, Sapphire are out of my budget.
One thing I do want is the ability to have an emitter swapped & of course if there are versions that are more
reliable, I'd want that. This is not a WTB thread-I'm just doing some pre-purchase research:D

Also... who sells the slick flush mounted trit discs? Those look fantastic.

stingray3

Enlightened

Could be Mohan but I think he made the taller ones. I keep thinking it was someone else and I can not think of his name at the moment. I have also read they are not being made anymore. Honestly I think DaFABRICATA would be your best bet to make you one. He made those beautiful timascus buttons for the Spy 007 already. I bet adding trit slots to one would be a piece of cake for him. Good luck!

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply! Mohan sold me a taller one a couple years ago but I sold it thinking I'd never buy a Spy. Yours is by TB but I don't know where these can be
purchased... I actually prefer the one slot version. BTW, I like your Avatar but can't tell if its AE/Traxxas/Losi, etc:)

Could be Mohan but I think he made the taller ones. I keep thinking it was someone else and I can not think of his name at the moment. I have also read they are not being made anymore. Honestly I think DaFABRICATA would be your best bet to make you one. He made those beautiful timascus buttons for the Spy 007 already. I bet adding trit slots to one would be a piece of cake for him. Good luck!

stingray3

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply! Mohan sold me a taller one a couple years ago but I sold it thinking I'd never buy a Spy. Yours is by TB but I don't know where these can be
purchased... I actually prefer the one slot version. BTW, I like your Avatar but can't tell if its AE/Traxxas/Losi, etc:)

Thats right its TB that made the flush mounts. How I found the ones I have was asking in the WTB section. The GG I have for sale already came with it on. My avatar is one of the first RC 1/10 scale cars I started with and still have. Its an HPI Racing. :)

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also would like to know what the difference is, in the different versions of driver used in the spy 007? Any major features or updates that make the MK3 or MK4 drivers better then the Mk2 in the first spy 007's? I realize that the later spy's using a XML or XML2 had much higher drive currents, but I'm more interested in the differences in program features. Thanks!

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I browsed through them this morning. It's sad how the newest versions are always the coolest and most expensive! I looks like i wouldn't miss out on most important features with any version, but I like some of the "bells and whistles on the newer ones! I'm tempted to just buy a new one, but that is almost double the price of a old one!

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat however I'm now considering a Tri-V especially since a few new ones will be built, I'll be looking to pick
up a mint 2nd hand unit-preferably a GG but I'll consider any version if priced right. If the right 007 comes along, I'll get
that instead. I like the increased power & thermal management improvements on the newer lights as well. I've never
had a Cool Fall & realized if I sold some of the lights I do have... I could easily get one.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The haptic motor on the 007 sapphire is very tempting! I know I don't "need" it, but I have one on my iPhone 7 plus, and it's pretty cool! I like the sapphire head too, I'm just not sure how durable the exposed sapphire would be? If dropped on the bezel, would the sapphire just shatter?

I didn't need the haptic feedback, but I had to have it!! lol. Got it and love it... the Spy Sapphire is my overall favorite light. Vegas knob is very cool too. Now I just need a new Spy 005 and Tri V. My world would then be balanced!! Lol

m_yo

Newly Enlightened
Sapphire head is a must! I passed on the Vegas knob this round.

I went backwards. Bought a Sapphire w: Springfield knurling first and then bought an older GG Spy....you know because I'd need both versions. Right?

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully, I'm in the right place to ask for advice. I want to try a 007 but GG, Sapphire are out of my budget.
One thing I do want is the ability to have an emitter swapped & of course if there are versions that are more
reliable, I'd want that. This is not a WTB thread-I'm just doing some pre-purchase research:D

Get the Sapphire. I can't afford one either but so what... if someone has to suffer then someone has to suffer. The 007 Sapphire is a MUST HAVE. :)

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wimmer: It's not really a trick question, as I really like the sapphire head too, but I'm a little concerned about it's durability for EDC use. Not that I would beat on it, like my Mcgizmo Haiku, but I would hate to have it shatter, or get chipped.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am beyond over the moon with my older XM-L Spy. I can't imagine being unhappy with any.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wimmer: It's not really a trick question, as I really like the sapphire head too, but I'm a little concerned about it's durability for EDC use. Not that I would beat on it, like my Mcgizmo Haiku, but I would hate to have it shatter, or get chipped.

Oh ok I see what you mean. Sapphire is the best from what I understand so I think you'd be completely safe using the head in question as your regular edc. I'm getting one come hell or high water.