now you've got Arc4+, what's your EDC?

cy

Flashaholic
now you\'ve got Arc4+, what\'s your EDC?

Just got my Arc4+ 2nd and firefly still wins out as EDC. (I sleep with my firefly and Newt Livesay Woo "neck knife in kydex sheath")

Now if I can just get that two stage switch to work w/o modding firefly's body. It would be a functional equal to Arc4+.

Level 1 on Arc4+ is aprox. same brightness as firefly w/R2h MM+. The beam quality of Arc4+ (bright & white, I don't understand why this Arc4+ is a second?) is much better than firefly. I'm hoping a fraen (still trying to get one) will even things up.

Thanks,
CY

Update:

I've modded the tail switch by removing the original tail cap, plunger, washer and spring.

This results in a light tactile feel, protected switch, almost stands on end. You feel the front switch distintly click. This reduces the length by 3/8in.

My EDC is now Arc4+ & firefly, using 4+ the most. ARc4+ rides clipped on side of pocket, firefly sits deep in my pocket as a backup.

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: now you\'ve got Arc4+, what\'s your EDC?

Its very strange,,,

I was EDCing, an Arc AA, Arc AAA, SF E2 with PR-T head, and an L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Now,,, I am EDCing an Arc4+, and Arc AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I still carry another brighter light every so often though.

d'mo

Enlightened

I really like my LS4+, but I'm still EDCing my modified LS1 with "universal" battery case. I guess I just love the utility of being able to use AAA, AA or 123 in the same light. Besides, my LS1 already has a few "character marks" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd hate for my LS4 to get banged up. I know PG wants them to be used as tools, but.....

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm carrying the Arc4 because I'm still playing with it but it won't be an EDC until it gets some sort of accessory connector.

jtice

Flashaholic

d'mo,
What batt pack are you talking about?
Sounds like, I want one ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kaseri

Enlightened

I just dont like it as much as I thought I would.

jtice

Flashaholic

kaseri,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif I beleave we deserve an explanation.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
d'mo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Dspeck's UBH.

paulr

Flashaholic

Well, my Arc4" just arrived yesterday (the double quote is a "second" symbol) so I'll EDC it for a while just like whenever I get a new light. However it seems to me that the Arc4 isn't that great a choice as a general purpose EDC. It seems designed to make white spots on the wall from as great a distance as possible, but 95% of the time when I use an EDC light, it's to see something close up or anyway less than 3 meters away. I tried reading in bed with the Arc4" last night and it was rather unpleasant because of the narrow beam. A piece of scotch tape over the end helped it, but I switched to my CMG Infinity, which was quite a bit nicer. The Arc4 is also IMO somewhat on the large side for EDC.

I know the Arc4 lens is user replaceable and I wonder whether the reflector is also replaceable. I'd like to swap it out for a McFlood.

Anyway, my normal EDC is still the Arc AAA plus a couple of coin cell lights, and will probably stay that way.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened

I EDC my Arc4+,replacing an assortment of PAL lights,Infinitys,and a surefireKL1/E1 .Simply,a pleasure to use.
The Arc4.....more than just a novelty

jtice

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
d'mo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Dspeck's UBH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinkig at first. (I have one on order) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But It seemed as if he was talking about a 1AA length, and even placing AAAs in it, which with a sleeve would be possible.
Maybe I should get a 1AA extender with my UBH kit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh....
I wonder if he has an old Arc 1xAA battery tube that was bored out to accept the 123.
I think I remember that this was possible.

jtice

Flashaholic

Ahhhhh yes, I bet thats what he has.
One of the fat bodied AA packs could be bored out for that.
Hmm, nice.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Untill I get a holster that fits the 4+, I'll still EDC my CNC123, FireFly and ARC AAA.

d'mo

Enlightened

You are correct, it's a bored 1xAA pack. Some simple stainless fittings take up unused space for the AAA and 123 configurations. Works great! I understand why PG made the changes he did, but really miss the single cell configurations available with the LS1. In all this time, I have yet to find a brighter AAA or AA flashlight.

LightScene

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
d'mo said:
I understand why PG made the changes he did, but really miss the single cell configurations available with the LS1. In all this time, I have yet to find a brighter AAA or AA flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's an observation worth noting.
I'm all in favor of using rechargeable AA's and AAA's whenever possible. It seems like cheap regulators are making this choice more and more sensible.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

As a follow-up to this thread I put the Arc4 through the same tests.

My Arc4 at level 12 is comparable to the Arc-AA.
The Ac-AA wins for sidespill hands-down but overall I'd say level 12 is pretty close.
At level 12 maneuvering was still very easy but more sidespill would be nice. The Arc-AA still has the advantage there.
The increased hotspot over the Arc-AA gave the Arc4 the win in distant object recognition and color rendering was better as well. Reading was no problem.

The Arc4 at level 4 beat the FireFly for sidespill but the FireFly (MM-W/O with Lux-III-T) had a larger, brighter hotspot with better color rendition.

And regarding being seen....
The toned down locator beacon (level 16?) was easily seen from 20+ foot distances -- even when directed away from the viewer.

Again, without some kind of accessory connector, the Arc4 is not going to become an EDC (for me anyway) but in my very limited testing it was a strong performer.

One last observation on sidespill....
I aimed both the X1 and the Arc4 at level 16 directly up at the ceiling (15 feet up) and both produced roughly the same sidespill.
Using sidespill alone, both produced enough light to read breaker panels from 1 foot away.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Arc4+ and Arc AAA, hands down. The only reason I even carry the AAA anymore is for an emergency backup. With the Arc4+, the LSH and AAA have been obsoleted. As a matter of fact, all of my other 1x123 cell lights have been obsoleted by the Arc4+. No more need for the FireFly, LSH, MM+, BB, etc.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened

is that your Arc4x or your 4+? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc4x and my Keylux. My Arc AAA was passed on to my girlfriend for her keys. She loves it.