Turning this XHP-70 into a wicked beam

chucked

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, longtime lurker finally has a question.

i would like to transform, no matter how ghetto, this xhp-70 flashlight that i bought on ebay for 50$ into a fun to play with laser like beam.

i love the beams of my XML2-U4 lights, but now that ive got an xhp-70 in hand, i want to turn it into a beam. its just a toy for me, no real practical reason other than taking it to underground desert parties and having a light saber like thing to play with.

heres a link that shows the same flashlight
http://www.thorfiredirect.com/ThorF...rts-(Up-to-550Yards-Beam-Distance)-p-127.html

and heres a link to a light that has some beam like functionality that im trying to replicate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8000LM-Zoom...965780?hash=item3d1d343514:g:zbwAAOSwOVpXX2Wm

im hoping that i can just place a well chosen lens at the right distance from the led to achieve the beam like pattern im yearning for. i dont mind gluing it into place or something like that. doesnt have to be super durable or sexy, just a quick and fun project to show my friends.

hopefully you guys can point me int he right direction of what to buy and what steps to take. thank you so much for all your wonderful knowledge :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically, you just need to order the right size aspheric lens and use it instead of the flat lens.

The reflector will project hideous donut around your nice spot beam. Paint it over with black paint to eliminate all but the spot.

Note however, that the XHP70 is a large-size 4-die emitter. The beam you get from it will have a fairly wide hotspot and the hotspot itself will consist of 4 squares in a grid pattern. There will be a dark "+" shape between the squares. The hotspot will be wider than other lights using smaller die emitters, but the intensity of that hotspot (throw) won't be as good.

If you want a narrower, but more intense beam that throws better you should replace the emitter. Best choice is probably XHP35 HI. Overall lumens will be lower and the hotspot narrower, but what's in the hotspot should be much more intense for much greater throw.

Last edited:

chucked

Newly Enlightened
right yes this all makes sense.

how do i find the correct aspheric lens?
I can post the diameter of the current flat glass and distance to led if thats required.

thank you!

light-modder

Enlightened
It's entirely possible that the Thorfire is using a 6V driver. The xhp70 can be configured for 6 or 12V. The xhp35 is 12V only. You may need a new driver as well.
It may end up being easier to buy a light similar to the second one you linked that has a known driver board size and led board size and modifying that one.

chucked

Newly Enlightened
It's entirely possible that the Thorfire is using a 6V driver. The xhp70 can be configured for 6 or 12V. The xhp35 is 12V only. You may need a new driver as well.
It may end up being easier to buy a light similar to the second one you linked that has a known driver board size and led board size and modifying that one.

thanks but im not interested in changing the driver or led at the moment. just trying to ghetto mod this light into a fun beam.

i may attempt a semi-custom build with the xhp35 someday, just to get the tightest brightest beam around to make a sexy unicorn beam on my burning man bike, but thats for another thread.

i would love a link to the appropriate and cheapest aspheric lens that fits my current light. ill tape off the spill best i can. i just want to be able to play with this thing around people without blinding the whole dancefloor.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it's fun to play with aspheric lenses. Just open up the light, and if possible carefully remove the reflector (you do NOT want to touch its surface, as it's very easy to mess it up), then place the aspheric lens in place (with the rounded part up), screw the bezel back on to hold it in place, and then let it rip. You'll get a projected image of the actual LED.

Basically you want it the same size as the glass that it's replacing. No need to spend more than a dollar or two for the lens. There are many places on the web you can get inexpensive aspheric lenses. Here's one to get you started:
https://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-plastic-aspheric-lens.html

As far as figuring out the focal length, I'm sure you can find a formula on-line to help with that, but if you're just doing this for fun, I wouldn't worry about it too much, however, here's an interesting page that might answer some questions:
https://www.edmundoptics.com/resources/application-notes/optics/all-about-aspheric-lenses/

Have fun : )

chucked

Newly Enlightened
ok great thanks.
so heres what im about to buy, please have a look and let me know if this will achieve what im after (TIGHT beam, paintable for minimal spill)
for reference, the flat glass on my current light is 68mm, and it sits 50.5mm above the led base. THANK YOU!

specs from the link: 4.25$
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Diameter: 68mm[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Inner diameter: 60.5mm[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Height : 10mm[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]epitaxial thickness: 3.2mm[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]LED lens angle : the angle can be adjusted[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Focal length: 220mm (For reference only) [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lens material: optical grade PMMA[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lens transmittance: 90% to 93%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Temperature: -35°to +90°[/FONT]

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/pow...lgo_pvid=f806eb35-15a3-4ae3-9183-d1307f0cfdde

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern with that lens is it's temperature rating. I've got a feeling that XHP-70 is going to be putting out some heat, and that plastic lens might not be rated high enough to handle it.

Here is an alternative you might consider:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/67m...lgo_pvid=503fabe8-bbd5-46cf-af1a-30f9d593f210

Yes, it's only 67mm, but it high temp rated glass, so will probably be better suited for this job, and I'll bet you can rig some way to fix it in place. Just a thought.