Strion or g2x

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
I was set on getting a strion with dual switch i think the hl but not sure yet. Then i stumbled upon this forum and people talking up surefire over streamlight. So now i am interested in the g2x surefire but here is my issue. The only way i will buy the g2x is if i can get a battery that is rechargeable and its reliable that way. I have read a few different options on going rechargeable. Is this reliable and going to last? I use my flashlight every day for work and dont want to buy batteries all the time. Thanks

FDP

Newly Enlightened
Go for the G2x and get yourself a Keeppower 16650 2500mAh battery. They can be had from Illumn

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
Thats what i was reading but was hard to find them online. Ill try the place you listed. Do These batteries last quite a while if they are recharged often? Trying to figure out if goin this route with the surefire is better than the streamlight that comes rechargeable Thanks

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
What type of charger would i need to charge that keeppower 16650 battery? I have a few cheap chargers that came with ultrafire flashlights that have 18650 batteries.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Strion vs G2x:

I'll speak in terms of the G2xPro which starts on low;
G2 starts on low, and can be quick clicked or soft pressed to high.
Strion starts on high, then a long press takes it down to medium then low and if continued to hold back up to medium then high.

G2 has a lockout feature where about 3/4 loosen the tail cap cuts the circuit.
Strion does not.

G2 comes in colors and being it's molded scratches and dings do not remove that color.
Strion is alluminum under a black coating. Over time the coating wears off. Some like the petina look, others do not.

G2 has a pretty broad beam meant to light a vast area at the same time.
Strion has a pencil beam for shining farther, blinding a bad guy from farther while protecting the users nearby night adapted vision better. Great for blinding a burglar while the user seeks their protection devices at 2am.

Both are fine flashlights.
The G2 is more of a 'round the house light, great for finding stuff in a dark shed, or lighting under the kitchen sink while fixing the garbage disposal.
The Strion is more tailored to the needs of a duty light where a pencil beam is needed for foot pursuit of a perp, blasting photons into the eyes of a bad guy, or use in very over grown woods where you need to see at a distance without your light blinding you from nearby vegetation.

I have (and use) both. The G2 gets used a lot more often.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
What type of charger would i need to charge that keeppower 16650 battery? I have a few cheap chargers that came with ultrafire flashlights that have 18650 batteries.

Your typical xtar/nitecore/opus 4.2v/4.35 charger for the 16650 cells. If you buy protected keeppower brand then they have protection(PCB) and charged to 4.2v. If naked(just the sanyo cell/wrap in pink) they can be charged to 4.35v on an xtar vp2 to name one. The xtar sp1 charger is cheaper and supports 4.2/4.35v(3.6/3.8)

I would not use any cheap fire charger, not only are they unreliable, but some do not terminate charging at 4.2v.........

I use a 1a charge rate for my 16650 cells.

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
The momentary feature is important to me. Does the g2x momentary use high or low? Strion uses high for momentary. Thanks

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
I read somewhere that the g2xle momentary is high mode so i ordered that one. Now to get the battery and charger ordered.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good pick cams.
Welcome to the site btw.

The G2x Pro prompts to low. The LE to high. You can momentary past hi to lo if you choose to. A bit of practice later you'll think they had you in mind when they designed it... because they did. lol

The Strion requires being activated to change settings. The G2 does not.

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking on illumn for a charger. One of the only chargers i see that lists it works for the 16650 is made by keeppower.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the NiteCore D4, but a D2 is good too. Nothing wrong with an i2/4 but the D has a digital readout and can drop voltage supplied for LifePo cells if you ever use those.

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
I have a charger for rc car batteries that has a ton of different modes. Will this charge these batts? As for buying a new charger the more simple the better for me. I probably dont even need more than 1 charging spot

Cams-76

Newly Enlightened
The i2 on the illumn site says it doesnt work with the 16650. I found what they call the "new i2" on a different site that lists the 16650. I would like to order from illumen because that is where the batteries are i need to buy.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes illumn is great to order from! And while some may not say that they support 16650, they definitely don't explicitly say they won't support it. The 16650 cells will charge fine with most chargers provided you have a quality one :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This thread was in my brain while gathering a couple of lights to carry on my evening stroll.

Among others I took the 260 lumen Strion and a 320 lumen G2x Pro. Using it for a host of ideas mimicing a dog walk, a search for a lost celphone, checking on throw down a narrow path and raccon hunting.. none of which were actually happening...

I'll say this about the Strion... it makes a great cop light with its tunnel beam for blinding a perp in tight quarters combined with 2 quick click strober for a sweeping disorienting action (forgot it had that) and the pure white beam really lights things up well. Low setting is good for lots of light with lots of runtime.

But the G2 absolutely roasts the Strion for brightness, broadness of spot, enough spill to drown a fish, a tint that prevents a harshness when using it down a narrow path, and out threw the Strion like Dan Marino vs my 14 year old nephew. And low is perfect for dog walking. I had never placed the G2 in a battle royal of 6 volt lights until tonight. It has always been a 'round the house shadow lighter since it starts on low. But vs a few others (an MD2, FL2, Bones, Strion, TL2 LED, Pentagon X2, Streamlight PolyTac, a ProTac and a Scorpion) the G2x Pro certainly earned a spot on the podium and gained a whole new respect by this user.