Photon Freedom uses

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anybody out there who is a fan or just uses the Photon Freedom... What do you like it for? Recently found my old Freedom while doing some cleaning, even had the hands free clip attached. Years ago, I used to carry a Photon on my keys but that was long since replaced with a 1xAAA light. I also remember one road trip while I was in school where I used it to study during the drive at night. Other than tucking it away in a pack or coat pocket for an emergency (if it isn't forgetten completely), what can I use it for?

Yup, super open ended post... Lets see where it goes.

Boko

Newly Enlightened
Recently, I've used my Freedom Covert for the 15-minute run home from work after a Late shift (high level is bright enough to see and be seen), reading in bed, pottering about the house (including filling my wine glass while watching a DVD or listening to music) and queuing an LP on my Garrard 401 turntable.(Music is better in the dark, don't you think?)
I've also used a red Photon 11 for nocturnal rambles by the light of the moon, just for those bits where you need a little extra light without ruining your night vision.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one attached as a zipper pull on both my coats, and one is beside my bed on my night table for when I need to find something I've dropped without having to get up and turn the room light on. Still a great little light, but if I buy anymore, it will be a Tube, or maybe a Tip.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I carry a Photon Freedom as my primary EDC. It's small enough to drop in a pocket and just disappear. I may add my Surefire Titan-A for evenings and weekends, but the Photon goes in the pocket first thing in the morning with a SAK Classic every day.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Eh, i wasnt a big fan of the white one i purchased. Batterys were expensive and not enough runtime for anything practical. I noticed that when the batterys were getting low that the switch would become unresponsive. Not fun not being able to turn off your light after your done using it.

edit: I should add that i purchased the UltraViolet Covert version and i absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the day (early 90s) there weren't a lot of options for small compact lights except the Photons. There were a lot better than the cheap box store AAA and AA lights, and a lot smaller. For their time, they were very handy.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that there is a Nitecore TIP CRI on this person's belt loop, and the keys already have some weight, it is nice to have a Photon on the keyring that gets used occasionally for quick looks. It is easy to change the emitter on the Photons as well. (Yuji daylight 5mm LED is on mine)

BloodLust

Enlightened
Now that there is a Nitecore TIP CRI on this person's belt loop, and the keys already have some weight, it is nice to have a Photon on the keyring that gets used occasionally for quick looks. It is easy to change the emitter on the Photons as well. (Yuji daylight 5mm LED is on mine)

Oooh.. that's a good idea. I just might modify my 5mm coin cell lights just for that.

MKLight

Enlightened
It's always been a favorite of mine. The current Freedom on my keyring has been on there for close to 10 years...I've had several cars in the meantime and maybe 1 set of batteries. That said, I have many others and have changed those batteries more frequently. My personal favorite is the Doug Ritter edition because I like the yellow body color, although o have more black cased ones than other colors. It's not the brightest, but it's UI was far ahead of its time and is still very current today.

Best regards,
MK

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is actually an Inova Microlight, which is an extremely similar competitor. It sat in a drawer for years, forgotten, until the opportunity to try a Yuji high CRI LED in it arose. Now it's probably my favorite nightstand light. The high CRI looks great, and the lower mode is a respectable moonlight level.

I also tried 1 x CR2032 cell instead of the regular 2 x CR2016 it comes with, since the batteries cost about the same each. Surprisingly, this works quite well. There might be some loss of brightness, but it doesn't seem like much, at least in my sample.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I still have several, which get used from time to time. If you want much more runtime and don't mine sacrificing a little bit of brightness, replace the 2 x 2016 cells with a 1 x 2032.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
​You could always get a Sapphire 2, which is USB rechargeable.